ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any ideas?

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Hey,

I got a really strange problem and wondered if anyone could advise me on it.

Right most of the time its fine which is really strange, but sometimes i get this problem where when ever i take my foot completely off the accelerater and just cruise along, the car will chug like really bad and jerky. So that will go on for a random amount of time, and then it will just suddenly stop and be normal again. When its being jery though the gear stick moves around loads as well so I dont know if it is something to do with the clutch maybe? It feels almost like something lose, but I have no idea what. Another thing that happens is when I put my foot down, there is this strange sound like something rubbing, or rattling, then when I change gear it makes a hissing sound (only at high revs, and no its not a dump valve on my 1.8 8v rsi :p but that is what is sounds like only very faint)

So basically im a bit stuck, any ideas at all anyone? The garage were no help because the guy said he needed to come out in the car while its doing it, and try as I might I cannot get it to do it when I have the time to take him out lol.

Any help would be great, cheers.
James

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Just taken it out for a drive see if I could get any other ideas, and now there is something leaking out underneath the car like dripping down right in the middle. Quite dark, I think it must be oil.

Anyone?

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Ok no replies still but I have another update.

Moved my car out of my drive so my mum could get her car out and it was making some really bad noises again as i reversed, then when I went to go back forward into the drive the noises were so bad I decided it would be better to push the car back into the drive. So i turn off the engine and get out to push, and the car was going nowhere felt like it was fixed to the ground (no the handbrake wasent on)...... so I had to get back in a drive it into the drive. While driving it as soon as I took my foot off the pedal it would come to a stop.

Seems like the brakes might be stuck on, but Im still wondering what that fluid is, if it was brake fluid wouldnt the brakes not work rather than get stuck on?

Anyone got ideas now?
THanks

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
sorry i feel i should reply but i really dont know what it would be unless there are just not enough revs so its lurching??

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Yey some replys :)

Well its getting enough revs thats for sure, because it runs fine when not moving. Its just when I drive it something is grinding, and oil is leaking from underneath the car. Could it be the gearbox, that has oil in it am I correct?

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Well the garage have diagnosed it with a broken gear box!

Im waiting on them to get back to me now with some prices, any ideas on what sort of prices I should expect. I would imagine not cheap!

Cheers

was about to say its a broken gear box - if it was unmovable when trying to push it, without the handbreak on then its either in gear or stuck in gear.

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Well what gearboxes will fit, there some on eBay, but none specifically for 1.8 Rsi.

Are the ones in the 16v different or the same?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Could be the clutch sticking on the fly wheel or pressure plate or gb shift splines worn, or something along those lines. Its hard to say without driving it.

Does the car misfire, have a loss of power, jerk or lerch forward with a bang if you floor it

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
No, it doesnt misfire, or jerk forward. The garage said it was the gearbox so im guessing that it is.....

Any info on the gearbox question up there?