ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any of you tools blown up your gearbox recently?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassin...=108210&nmt=5th to 2nd at 90, Oh the carnage

I thought I'd never see it happen, I've heard the horror stories and have cringed so very hard at pictures (anyone see the ITR that did the same? blew the gearbox and threw a piston).

Well on Saturday, I went with a friend to pick up a Clio 172. Awesome little car. Neither of us had had any time in anything 'Sport' so he was having some fun with it on the M1 (you should have seen his face when he entered the northbound London services at almost 70 not realising it goes pretty much 180), the car was completely stable, he wasn't expecting it at all, he was crapping himself having come from a 1997 1.2 Fiesta, he soon realised that 'sport' meant a lot. It was awesome seeing have so much fun (I'm sure you guys know what he was feeling).

Anyway, later on the in the journey up the A1, accelerating in 5th, but there is plenty left in 4th (redlines at 110) so he decides to shift down, unfortunately he has always shifted like he is trying to set a new time at the 'ring, and there is a big difference between a Fiesta box and a Clio 172. He accidently slams it into 2nd.
weeping.gif
CRUNCH, momentary wheel lock up (in credit to my friend, he instantly realised and put the clutch in) and smoke. Went straight to the hard shoulder (if any of you saw a 172 at J4 Northbound early afternoon, that was us :/).

Transmission oil and coolant from where bits of the housing hit the rad streams from the car, its stench fills the air. I see debris on the road; bits of bellhousing and gearbox, I then come across the clutch, bent, in pieces.
yikes.gif
I felt sick to my stomach. 3 hours he had the car. Transmission and box gone, running gear bent out of shape and rad shot. Cost to repair? At least £2.7K. About the value of the car and he hasn't got that kind of money.

We all make mistakes, and unfortuantely he made his at the worst time possible. I can't imagine how horrible/stupid he feels
frown.gif

:rolleyes:

Happy days eh,

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
The owner was posting on RS last night, not happy.
Won't be happy that his mate is telling the world either;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
How the f**k can you shift from 5th into 2nd without knowing. its right over at the other side, its not like you can accidently put it in?

Evo 8 MR
I've gone from high up in 4th down to 3rd trying to get 5th and it nearly made me fill my pants, that was back when I was still inexperienced and didn't really get the feel of the car, from 5th to 2nd though, ouch.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You have to be completely retarded to do that.

If you can't change gear properly, then you shouldn't be driving. f**king retards.

To be fair the gearbox in the fiesta is probably a nicer unit than that in the 172!!
What a complete tard though!

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
I cant see how you could do that.

Ive done 4th to 3rd instead of 5th before specially in cars with close boxes, but 5th to 2nd wtffff

I think you have to be trying very hard to change down to second lol!

I was very easy on the car after I picked my 182 up, especially going from a 1.2 clio! I know it's not silly power, but it still takes some getting used to!

Polo + Micra
i remember when i stuck my clio into 3rd instead of 5th after hitting the limiter in 4th

but to pick 2nd is just plain stupid

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Ive heard of a cup that was like this, that was sold and about a week later came back with 4 bold tyres brakes were very burnt and the flywheel come out though the bell housing and though the rad. he changed down from 5th to 2nd at 90mph

Megane Trophy, Golf
Ive heard of a cup that was like this, that was sold and about a week later came back with 4 bold tyres brakes were very burnt and the flywheel come out though the bell housing and though the rad. he changed down from 5th to 2nd at 90mph

Just proves CUP owners cant drive lol :evil:

SQ5
5th to 2nd WTF Seriously?! What the f**k is the r****d doing!

I hope he f**king comes on here, I'm going to rip it out of the stupid c**t!

Mini Cooper S sport
Oh dear. It took me a while to get used to having 6 gears .. and I still struggle to remember which gear I'm in sometimes, but how the f**k do you go from 5th to 2nd!?

Silly boy.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
people like this shouldn't be allowed these cars...its not the way to drive a car you have just picked up, are not used to and not experienced enough to drive. give it a while to get used to it especially if you aint been in anything 'sport' before!!

I blew up a headgecutter the other week if that counts?

I managed to snap a cast iron section of a loading shovel arm at work (1/2 foot square ans 5 foot long), think that beats the hedgecutter??

Titanium 182
How do you go from 5th to second :S even if you're rushing ?!?!

4th to 3rd once in a blue moon fair enough but 5th to 2nd ?!?! >_<

Titanium 182
Just been on rs.co.uk and apparently its knackered and he's breaking it. Feel sorry for the lad now :( must be gutting.

320d
I know a lad who has gone from 5th to 2nd at 80 in a 1.2 16v. It went past the limiter, dash lit up like an xmas tree. He stoped turned the car off and then on again, its still running fine 2 years on. Got lucky I guess.