ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any one good with an Oil Preasure Problem??

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
Can anyone help me solve my oil preasure problem??...

When the engine is cold the oil preasure will go right up to about 5 bars on acceleration to about 35000 revs and sit at about 3 bars when idle. However, when the engine heats up the oil preasure will sit between 1 and two bars on acceleration and drop well down to almost nothing when idle. Which doesnt fill me with confidence when i meet the end of a que.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where it might be goin wrong??

I know that it has an oil leak but am not sure where it is coming from but i know its not the sump and is coming from further up the engine.

ANY suggestions would be greatfully recieved
cheers

Caddy Maxi
right now the numb nuts has had his laugh at you (prick) you will be pleased to know that its nothing to worry about unless the engine is knocking then obviously your in trouble! a lot of valvers have no oil pressure on idle as i found out when speaking to nick hill.

Ph 2 172
There may be two reason for your readings:

1) If your using a low viscosity type oil and/or it quite old.

2) The earth feed to the sender can give you a lower oil pressure indication.

3) Heat can also play a hand in the readings related to the viscosity and how thin it will go when hot.

Found this on previous cars, even more so with turbocharged cars.

There are a few indications of oil being two low as mentioned above, one is knocking - if it gets to this stage then it usually means that your big ends may of had oil starvation which can then cause them to start faulting and knocking is the final phase before failure.

Key to avoid is to keep an eye on the levels, check them when the engine is hot (go for a drive and get it to normal work temp then stop, switch off and check) for best readings, dont over fill as this is as bad as underfilling. Final is to use best quality oil you can - the leading types have esta additive main used in motorsport.

As to your exact models charactorisitics - sorry cant really comment if your reading are normal and seen by others - but hope the info above is of interest.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I had this problem too. It was in an RSi 1.8 with the three dash board mounted gauges, same as those fitted to the 1.8 valver.
I had a higher oil pressure level in winter than summer. I found running it with non-synthetic oil was a bit better and the engine was quieter too. Basically, I wouldn't worry about it and not sure if the gauge can be trusted anyway in all honesty.

Cheers

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
cheers for the tips guys.
And ok yeah i got my revs wrong!! Funny haha but you knew wat i meant boyo!

I have just put new oil in as i had the sump of due to some technical difficulty after the timing belt snapped.

Here's the story if you wanted to know.......
Bought the car from a guy and a week later the timing belt snapped on me (even though he said the timing had been done)...yeah the belt had been changed but had the tensioners.....nope.
So anyway...the bf is a mechanic so I got him to get a new head as all valves were bent and the necessary to fix it.
ANYWAY, once i got the new head put on an timing sorted it appeared to be running fine when a bit screw that the guy i bought the head of had accidentally left in the head buggered up my number1 piston by getting stuck between the piston an valves so i had to get one ordered in from france.
Got the old head skimmed and used the valves out the new head coz it got a little smassed up when the screw was rolling around.
So, got the piston, put it in and away we go.......clunk clunk clunk....wat now....
A piece of the spark plug had broken of into piston number4. Luckily it was just a case of clean the molten metal of the piston and shes fine.

So now i was worried about the oil preasure...maybe im just paranoid...and i kinda think i have a right to be.lol