ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any tips on lowering a clio?

Clio 1.2 mk2
I have a 1.2 mk2 clio, have it a few months now and feel like finally doing something with it. Planning to firstly get it lowered. Not too sure how much to lower it by tho as its my first time lowering a car. Was thinking 60mm all round but maybe this is too low? there are some speed bumps in my area so not sure if these would be a problem or not with a 60mm drop.

Someone please help..

2003 1.2 billabong
i was ment to reply to your other post.

i was told 60mm was alright in the sense of still clearing things and looking good, if you do go that low, go coilovers instead of springs as you was thinking as you would need new shocks with anything over a 40mm drop.

also use the search function, this has been covered loads of times pal :)

Clio 1.2 mk2
No worries lol

Yeah i was thinking that about the coilovers maybe, i dont have much money at the minute so its looking like maybe 40mm springs then, unless i can find a good set of cheap coilvers instead.

Thanks ill have a look:)

'03 MCS, MKV Ed30
Im about 80-90mm down on coilovers, maybe more.

Front bumper bracket need bending out the way.

Only catches on stupid angles on multi-storey car parks with people in the back (no adjusters).

Renault Clio MK4 RS
ive just got some coilovers, when i get them fitted i will have a set of 40mm gmaxx coilovers for sale for around £40+delivery if that is of any help to you?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Also, check with your insurance company before going ahead. Some insurers won't allow modifications of any type until you reach 25 (i'm assuming you are <25?)

You don't want to find that you aren't insured a few months down the line!!

I'm hoping to look into lowering my ph1 soon too, as soon as the xmas money is in haha. Not to hijack the OP's thread but would you recommend coilovers over springs? Obviously cost is a big difference but most of what i've seen says coilovers are the way to go and will add a little value to the car.
Additionally: I've been told if i go down the springs route - new shocks are needed anyway as the stock ones just won't be up to the task?

FF Racing Blue 182
i bought my car with with apex springs on it and when i had it up on ramp i noticed its still got original shocks on

i will be replacing them all round soon but ive read standard shocks are no good any truth in that mine is a ff