ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody in Cheshire to help… belts! Cash waiting…

Q7, traffic van
Hi all,
Replacing power steering pump on my 182 with a good friend who’s very skilled with engines but never worked on an f4r… after a pain removing old pump (hammer and crow bar in the end) we got everything back together with new pump fitted, new aux belt etc, then the trouble started…
The tensioner was only 2 years old according to service history but noticed the corner of the tensioner snapped off (the square section where the tension took would go). With everything in place we used jubilee Clip method to de load the spring and get the new belt sat correctly, as soon as we release the tension the spring/tensioner sits itself up tight to the pas pulley, hours of trying to sit the tensioner in the correct position but it’s not working.
I’m thinking whoever snapped the corner off bent the tensioner spring in some way or it’s just seized as there are no other parts to adjust and from everything I’ve read on the guides it should position itself so it clears the belt and pulleys both sides.
I have ordered new tensioner kit inc new belt (all genuine Renault) which will arrive Tuesday.
I’ve got to the point where I’m considering timing belt kit/dephaser while the car is on axle stands stripped down and engine is jack supported etc to save this whole process again.
I can get a full kit delivered next week (all genuine Renault)….
is there anyone who has the correct tools and knowledge to do this job in my area or willing to travel. I’ve read this can be done in a day (for the experienced people). I’m happy to supply bacon butties and brews all day and help if needed. Plus £300-400 cash with me supplying all parts etc. car is stripped down currently and I can put back together if needed after. Just thinking bite the bullet while at this point to save this all being done again in the future.
anyone free to help give me a shout.
much appreciated. Cw1 area.
rob

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Closed over the weekend but maybe Monday?

Screenshot_20220723_091258_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Q7, traffic van
Just done a Google search, that seems like a good option, would be more than comfortable with them doing the job, just have to ask if they do a mobile service as the car is in bits from front to back with trying to get all my new parts fitted , wheels half way through refurb etc. cheers for that bud 👍🏽 Appreciate it

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
The old tensioner, it’s most likely the pivot point where it bolts on is seized I’d guess. There’s a sleeve inside that will be the bottom out of the pivot bolt and the tensioner should pivot around the sleeve. Maybe the two parts have become seized together.

Q7, traffic van
The old tensioner, it’s most likely the pivot point where it bolts on is seized I’d guess. There’s a sleeve inside that will be the bottom out of the pivot bolt and the tensioner should pivot around the sleeve. Maybe the two parts have become seized together.
Yes I’m thinking something internal as we had a good look at the tensioner when removed initially. Pulley wheel had no play and felt fine, the spring seemed very stiff but has flex and looked in decent condition So didn’t think we would have any issues, but 3 hours plus of trying to get it located and decided it can only be the tensioner failing, it’s a new pas pump fitted with the original puller so nothing has changed size etc and there is no adjustability in anything else, other than a little in the alternator to assist with tension, fitted and refitted many times, even flipped the spring on the tensioner just to try and it still just back up and sits on the belt.
Have read many threads on here about belts rubbing on the tensioner and most say a new one fixed the issue, the square section being snapped off the end of the tensioner mount gives me the impression it’s been under force and may have been put under too much stress at some point by previous owner.
after all the messing around just doing this I’m inclined to get the timing belts done while I’m this far in haha. Save me thinking about it for the next few years.
just want the car on the road, I bought it about 8 months ago, drove it nearly 3 hours home and it’s sat on the drive since as I collected parts to upgrade. Then got carried away and started rebuilding and painting parts haha.
probably got enough pics to do a build thread.

Q7, traffic van
photo of this forum… mine is doing the same.

Attachments

• E8EEC8CB-2413-466F-A529-AFDECF9B879D.png
    E8EEC8CB-2413-466F-A529-AFDECF9B879D.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 56

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, looks about right for the sleeve to be seized to the tensioner.

It is repairable, mine was seized when I did my belts. Knock the sleeve out, clean up and bit of ceramic grease. I just fitted a new pulley on my tensioner as the tensioner itself is bullet proof being just a spring. Only things that go wrong are the pivot sleeve and the bearing wear in the pulley.

Q7, traffic van
photo of this forum… mi
Yeah, looks about right for the sleeve to be seized to the tensioner.

It is repairable, mine was seized when I did my belts. Knock the sleeve out, clean up and bit of ceramic grease. I just fitted a new pulley on my tensioner as the tensioner itself is bullet proof being just a spring. Only things that go wrong are the pivot sleeve and the bearing wear in the pulley.
sounds like a fairly common issue then, such a small part to fail that could destroy an engine.
went with safe option and bought a genuine kit for peace of mind, just tempted to get timing belt and dephaser as welll so it’s all done.
my mechanic said belt and dephaser look brand new…. Service record and invoices show it was done 12k miles ago but that’s just over 4 years. I’ve been told to leave it but my ocd tells me otherwise haha!