ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody stripped a JC5 box before ?

RB Lutecia
Right then, heres my problem -

I first fit a clutch about 7 weeks ago to find that part of it snapped and then had to be replaced all over again so i put the car in one of our garages and set to.
Once i had the gearbox out again i already knew that it wasnt so keen on going into 3rd when im giving it some welly, so i thought best thing to do is replace the syncro as the box was already out and i could survive a week until the following weekend to refit, but anyways ive found that its my 3rd gear which is to fault which is also part of reverse so ive replaced the syncro 3rd and reverse gears and im now in the process of rebuilding it, but the t**t of a box will not go back together for love nor money and im now on my 4th weekend . . .
If anyone else either rebuilds them or recons them often enough do you have any tips on how to put the outer casing back on whilst either in gear or out of gear and trying to get the selector to line up etc . . . ?

Ta in advance Mark

BMW M135i
How are you trying to do it? With the gear stack in the box half and drop the bellhousing or the bellhousing half and drop the box half over?

Assume you have the correct sealant?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Do you have the workshop manual that goes round on the net?
It'll pretty much guide you trough it.

I recently done one, the first time i put it together it only selected 1-2, turned out the fork of the selector shaft of fifth was in te wrong place jamming the rest. Took the housing off, aligned everything again and al went well :)

GL with it!

RB Lutecia
Do you have the workshop manual that goes round on the net?
It'll pretty much guide you trough it.

I recently done one, the first time i put it together it only selected 1-2, turned out the fork of the selector shaft of fifth was in te wrong place jamming the rest. Took the housing off, aligned everything again and al went well :)

GL with it!

Will have to have a butchers at that thanks !

RB Lutecia
How are you trying to do it? With the gear stack in the box half and drop the bellhousing or the bellhousing half and drop the box half over?

Assume you have the correct sealant?

Ive been trying to put the casing back over the box half with gears so i have to put the bearings and springs in every time, starting to get irritated now lol

And yes im putting the correct sealant on it

RB Lutecia
Cheers mate, just irritating because thats what weve been trying ahh well, if at first you dont suceed try and try again

Clio172cup rally car
No worries pal :) it's just one of those things with these boxes you just have to keep trying, it must of took me at least 3 or 4 attempts before getting it right.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Find some shaft or something like it to keep the upper springs and balls in, once you put the case over you'll automaticaly push the shafts out. Won't need mechanic no.2 in that way.