ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone fancy giving Rally Navigation a crack?

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Hope this is an OK place for this if not please move to a more relevant place.
I am in need of someone to navigate on rallys and I didn't know if any of the Cs people fancied giving it ago.
Looking to start once motorsport is up and running again with potentially first rally being Mull.
I have only ever done 2 stage rallys before both being Mull but I have done road rallys and 12 cars for almost 20 years.
Next year it would be nice to do a tarmac championship in the Twingo.
Experienced or Novice I am easy.
If you want more info just pm me and we can have a chat.

Cheers

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Navigators are definitely a special breed that's for sure. @White16valver it's definitely an advantage not getting car sick but lots of navigators do and take pills so they don't puke everywhere lol.
It's not an easy job and lots more to it than you first think. The last rally I did we did 4 10hr days of stage recceing during the day and night. The weekend of the rally we managed 8hr sleep over 3 nights.
It's hard work definitely but worth it I think.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Ah where are you from? I grew up on the island of Seil and went to high school in Oban.
Tyndrum, so fairly local haha. Used to spend a lot of time in Oban.

Has Mull been confirmed at all for this year or be 2021? I'd lend a hand either way if Im off work even if it isn't to navigate

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Tyndrum! Bet there is still loads of tourists going in the green welly shop lol.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I'd love to come and spend time up your way, lovely part of the world :love:

I am a lonnnng way away, though, lol.
It's the best scenery and roads in the UK on the west coast. It's well worth the trip for a holiday.
Video of my favourite driving road, it just so happens to be a stage on Mull.

It's the best scenery and roads in the UK on the west coast. It's well worth the trip for a holiday.
Video of my favourite driving road, it just so happens to be a stage on Mull.

Nice!

I like the way the barriers are hit and miss - get it wrong on the bits without it and it looks like one short barrel roll into the sea :LOL: lol

Speeds must be a lot lower on that road day-to-day, given lack of sightlines and single-track nature!

Love that sort of stuff, though - feels like going back in time to before south England filled up.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Nice!

I like the way the barriers are hit and miss - get it wrong on the bits without it and it looks like one short barrel roll into the sea :LOL: lol

Speeds must be a lot lower on that road day-to-day, given lack of sightlines and single-track nature!

Love that sort of stuff, though - feels like going back in time to before south England filled up.
It's an amazing road but I don't think there is a s**t one on the island tbh. There is quit alot of that road is 100+ on the rally but its good fun at the national speed limit also lol.
When you get down to the shoreline it's well sighted so you can have fun.
There is quite a few videos on YouTube if you search Mull rally if you enjoyed the above video.
Last time I did it I was in my old Puma.
1st photo is on that road
2nd photo is mishnish Loch's
IMG_20170111_212120.jpg
151_MullRally'16_3041.jpg

It's an amazing road but I don't think there is a s**t one on the island tbh. There is quit alot of that road is 100+ on the rally but its good fun at the national speed limit also lol.
When you get down to the shoreline it's well sighted so you can have fun.
There is quite a few videos on YouTube if you search Mull rally if you enjoyed the above video.
Last time I did it I was in my old Puma.
1st photo is on that road
2nd photo is mishnish Loch's
View attachment 1469987View attachment 1469988
Nice!

Great pics :)

I do want to head up to West Scotland and do it properly one day, so I will look you up :)

Unless I win the lottery, slogging up and down for some weekend rallying jollies won't be on the cards :( (and the missus would moan :LOL: lol)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve done a few events with a mate in his Citroen C2R2 Max and an AE86 Corolla.

Absolutely brilliant fun and probably the most fun you can have in a car.
If I could devote the time to it, I’d do a lot more rallies.
Not easy though being the man not behind the wheel, you have to navigate without looking where you’re going, it’s all by the feel of the car in the seat of your pants.

Trust me, a “6 flat through gate”, you’ll be glad to not be looking where you’re going.

Best of luck. 🙂👍🏼

E7DFCD52-66D7-4198-A2F0-540D3FCB1184.jpeg

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Nice!

Great pics :)

I do want to head up to West Scotland and do it properly one day, so I will look you up :)

Unless I win the lottery, slogging up and down for some weekend rallying jollies won't be on the cards :( (and the missus would moan :LOL: lol)
I don't live on the west coast any more unfortunately, I live in the North of England.
When we do Mull we go up for 2 weeks and spend a week rallying and a week on holiday. Luckily my wife loves it up there so it's all good.
I’ve done a few events with a mate in his Citroen C2R2 Max and an AE86 Corolla.

Absolutely brilliant fun and probably the most fun you can have in a car.
If I could devote the time to it, I’d do a lot more rallies.
Not easy though being the man not behind the wheel, you have to navigate without looking where you’re going, it’s all by the feel of the car in the seat of your pants.

Trust me, a “6 flat through gate”, you’ll be glad to not be looking where you’re going.

Best of luck. 🙂👍🏼

View attachment 1470221
It's definitely not an easy job and anyone who navigates gets my respect. There is lots more to it than people imagine especially on closed road events over a few days.
Flat over crest has to be the best note lol

306td
Mull rally preparation fully in place for 2020, just waiting for the powers that be to say we can do it. That stage hasn't been used for many years (tho I drive but like a stage every opportunity. If you've not booked accommodation, you won't find it now, we pay our deposit for the following year before we leave.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Mull rally preparation fully in place for 2020, just waiting for the powers that be to say we can do it. That stage hasn't been used for many years (tho I drive but like a stage every opportunity. If you've not booked accommodation, you won't find it now, we pay our deposit for the following year before we leave.
Accommodation was booked last year (y).
I know it starts after the cliffs now unfortunately. What are you doing Mull in?

306td
I'm servicing/chasing again this year. I've worked for various cars since 2000, including running chase for Duncan and Susan Cameron in 2003 when Susan died on the rally. We go and visit her cairn every year. I've serviced all over the UK and Europe, but Mull definitely is the best rally.

Mazda mps
I'll look out for you on Mull this year (if it runs) I missed it last year but did it before the last break in a Clio. Great car but I had a few issues which kept us back. I've done it 9 times and never had a clean run, always had problems which slowed us. Still that's Mull.
i don't know where you live but a good start for a navigator is your local car club. They will have willing 'ballast'
Good luck

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Yeah it's rather addictive Mull once you have done it you just want to keep going back! I had a clean run last time apart from not having anything but slick tyres and it pissed down all weekend lol. My local club just do auto tests and have no interest in anything else unfortunately.
If you see me say hello if it runs. Accommodation is all still booked just incase still need to finish building the car. Will end up being its first event if it runs lol

Mazda mps
Are you on Facebook ? There is a nav/co driver page. Also clithroe car club has a great membership many have done Mull and if you ask I'm sure you will find many willing. Good luck