ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone fitted Aero wipers?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah used them for years, tried loads of different ones Al, bosch every time. Costco sold Goodyear ones for £3 for a while but they were dogshit!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Had them on the clio, fitted them to the wifes Volvo S60 and also have them on my van.

All good.

I have them on my bora and with cleaning, theyve lasted happily for 60k miles now which is why i want them again, just wanted to make sure they would fit, and not lift off the screen due to the stupid wiper linkage layout on the clio.

Cheers

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fine up to 70 anyway. Plus 30. And another 20.

They lift slightly at the edge at high speed but its so rare to be going that quick in the rain it doesn't bother me

Cool, track car anyway, as long as I can see the braking zone at the end of the main straight at a ton Im happy! Will get them ordered

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Do conventional RHD ones work correctly with the stupid french linkage on the clio? I'm concerned the whole spoiler shape will point the wrong way?
Also, does the clio have normal hook ends on the arms?

Im looking at these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350692051046?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hi there,
I will post some useful info here which might help others to get new wipers
I've been looking these days in the bosch catalogues for wipers for me and some friends and came up with this:
For the clio Mk II the standard fitment is 21" both sides (for UK cars-RHD) and 21"/18" for LHD cars
If you want Bosch aerotwin wipers you have these choices:
For RHD vehicles:
Bosch aerotwin AR530S 21" aero wipers set - 2 pieces, bosch code 3 397 118 903 - this is the std wiper length
In this case some people say that there is a small area in the center-lower part of the screen that remains untouched - this is quite small so many users don't really care
Or
You can go for Bosch AR550S aero wipers set, 22" and 21", bosch code 3 397 118 906 - the longer 22" wiper will cover the gap I was saying above if mounted on the passenger side.
And the third option is to buy individual aero wipers, but these come with a central spoiler (the ones which come as a set have a assymetrical spoiler) and personally I don't like them so much.
In this case you cand get either two bosch AR21U (21") pieces or one AR22U(22")- 3397008537 and one AR21U(21")-3397008536 if you want to get rid of the central gap.
Hope this will help!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Slight bump..

Just ordered some Bosch AR550S. Any recommendation for the rear wiper?

What Bosch aero ones do people buy for a Mk2 Clio ? Just 21" / 21" ?
The codes in the headers on eBay are all different, some have QF3, some QF4 & others QF6 some say they won't fit, yet have Mk2 in the compatibility (uwot?)

MK2 PH2 Extreme 1.2
Some people use 21"/21" and others use 22"/21", I bought a set a few weeks ago with 22" on passenger side and 21" driver (AR550s) and so far they have been excellent

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Bought Bosch Aero Twin 21/21 the other day. (AR21U) and standard Bosch H301 rear wiper. No complaints.

Personally, I wouldn't get 22/21, the 21's already overlap a fair amount when they're resting, wouldn't want any more (looks wise).

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Bought Bosch Aero Twin 21/21 the other day. (AR21U) and standard Bosch H301 rear wiper. No complaints.

Personally, I wouldn't get 22/21, the 21's already overlap a fair amount when they're resting, wouldn't want any more (looks wise).
Yes when resting they are ok. But there is a small gap left untouched at the bottom of the screen. to some people that is annoying :D, hence the 22/21 possibility

Clio 172
I bought some AR21U Bosch wipers from Eurocarparts yesterday, but they wouldn't fit.
There's a flip up part to expose the plastic part which the hook goes round. However the flip up part interferes with the "S" bend in the wiper arm. The guy from Eurocarparts couldn't work out how t6he blade could fit either.
Clearly many have fitted Bosch wiper blades, did I have a new design? I returned the Bosch blades immediately so didn't look at them closely. Could I have popped out the plastic part which receives the hook then clipped that back on to the blade? How did you fit your Bosch wiper blade?
I've NEVER had a problem fitting a wiper blade before. If the wiper arm was straight then the blade would fit no problem, it's the S bend which causes the problem.
I've now fitted a 22" Tesco wiper on the passenger side. Tesco don't seem to do 21"blades any more, only even sizes. I'll have to find another blade for the driver's side.

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Nope, sounds exactly the same as the design I had. It does fit on without removing the flip out part (although I had the same first thoughts when I saw it interfered )

Basically, just keep the 'angle' of the blade as shallow as possible, rather than having it at 90degrees to the wiper arm as you would normally do for fitting. Then the flip up part should just about avoid the S bend when you slide the wiper into position on the plastic part for the hook.

If I remember rightly I still had to apply a little bit of force to get the flip part round the S bend but don't quote me on that.

Just have a bit of a play, only took a min to work out.

Clio 172
We tried various different angles and the Eurocarparts guy ended up breaking the flip up part applying "a little bit of force"! I've NEVER had problems with wiper blades before, seems that Bosch have screwed up the design. No more Bosch wipers for me, the cheapies are working fine.

Clio 172
Well everybody's entitled to their (uninformed) opinion, but I've been working on competition cars for over 40 years and have never encountered such a poor, over engineered design as on the Bosch wipers. As was proven, having to apply force to the flip up part risks breaking the thin plastic. Maybe I have a new design. All I know is that two VERY experienced guys couldn't make the blade fit to the arm. Fitting a wiper blade should take seconds and there shouldn't be any risk of breakage. The flip up part broke with very little pressure. I have Bosch wipers on my seven other vehicles with no problem, but I won't be using them on the Clio due to the S bend in the wiper arms.

Clio 172
Yes uninformed. You don't know my background. You didn't see the blades I had, maybe the design is different to those you've fitted many times before. Possibly you break them every time you fit them. Likewise I don't know you so I'm not criticising you.

Before questioning somebody's abilities I'd suggest you do your homework first instead of leaping to the wrong conclusion.

Good for you going forward. I'll use the cheap ones which fit in seconds, don't break during fitment and do just as good a job. I've just checked and have cheapies on the gravel rally car and they've been through everything. Won't waste my money on Bosch again, I don't want to have to faff with something as simple as wiper blades in the middle of an event.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
so if you got a sunstrip thats being hit by the standard wiper, is there a shorter version of this that would fit a Phase 1 172?
Say 16inch?

Resurrected thread