ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got one of the Samsung LED sets?

Leon Cupra 300
Quite fancy one... but have read plenty of reviews and they all seem pretty bad"!

but........ they're sooo slim and look ace :D

opinions?

Leon Cupra 300
Why? I know nothing about teles etc... just wait for the tech to improve? or is there new stuff all together?

new dvb-t standard for terestial HD is coming if you buy now you will need a set top box

also the led sets while good arnt a huge leap forward over teh normal lcd sets all it really is is a different light behind the picture

oled is the next big thing and isnt that far away if you want to buy a new one in say teh next year and a half buy now if not wait

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Basically its the same Samsung panel but back lit in a different way.

The LED LCD tv uses led's
The Standard LCD TV uses a type of tubular bulb

And plasma is a reaction.

Next years emerging tech is OLED which doesn't need to be backlit.

Also Freeview is adding DVB-T2 in early 2010. This uses MPEG 4 and allows HD content through an ariel.

182FF with cup packs
I have a 46" 8000 series Sasmung LED TV.

It's great, I love it. Default settings are a bit gash, but once you set it up it's a fantastic picture. Even plays SD pretty well. Loads of inputs, plenty of pointless gadgets built in (like the ability to have the TV send a signal to the remote control which then emiits a sound so you can find it, play youtube directly on it).

I have been a "wait-and-see" type for a couple of years until I decided to just say sod it and actually buy something, as there is ALWAYS a new technology just around the corner with TV's.

OLED's are comming out soon, they should be fantastic, but they're gonna be mega expensive for a while yet and not very big. Sony have an 11 inch OLED set out. It's a snip at 3 and a bit grand. LG are bringing one out next year in Korea with a massive 15" screen.

Also, if you're gonna stick with Sky HD, you probably don't really care about DVB-T2.

saying all that, the only real special thing about the LED TV's is that they are much thinner than others. this is because of the way they are backlit. Conventional screens are lit with a cold cathode from behind, while the LED's are side lit with LED's (hence the name) the panel itself is pretty much the same.

To make matters worse, they reckon that 3D-HD will be out in 3 to 4 years, and you'll need a whole new type of TV for that :S

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hang on... OLED is miles off at the moment isn't it?? especially for the type of size you'd want in your living room. I mean i'm jusut about to buy a 7 series samsung LED 55" for £2100. I'm choosing it because it has a great size/price but also because the only set avalible right now that beats it is an old pio kuro and even that is a subject of debate. The new LED backlite LCD teles are fantastic for blacks and whites. i've seen the sets next to regular LCDs and the pic quality blows them out the water.

I have been lead to believe via recent reading online etc that , waiting for OLED is like 2-3 years away fro a tele that size for that kind of price....or am i wrong? anyone got more information?

Leon Cupra 300
What are the OLED sets? Are they even thinner than the LED ones?

I might just get one tbh, in 3 years i'll want a new tele anyway so be ok!

182FF with cup packs
OLED is a totally new technology.

Organic Light Emitting Diode.

They will be much much thinner than current screens. As the screens are basically printed onto a background using technology similar to inkjet printers.

For instance, this is the Sony XEL-1, the first commercially available OLED TV.
800px-Sony_XEL-1.jpg

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Couldn't really give a toss how thin a screen is, if it fits on my stand that's good enough.

Picture quality however, that's the main concern for me. Everything else, tuner, streaming stuff etc can all be added on later but if the screen itself isn't great then not a lot you can do to change that!

Wouldn't worry about DVB-T2, when it comes just get a set top box, most will anyway to get recording functionality anyway I'd have thought.

OLED will be interesting when it's more commonplace :)

A red missile
If the OLED tv's are as good as the OLED screens on the Samsung jet phone then they'll be amazing, razor sharp images and low power usage.

I'm definately waiting for an OLED tv to replace the plasma.

Leon Cupra 300
That OLEd looks great, only problem with it being that thin is the rest of the gubbins is seperate so when all that is packaged into a pannel on its own it will make it thicker, yeah?

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Do what I do lol and stick with CRT's :)... As of yet, nothing compares to the quality on standard def than a CRT imho... The only thing I would miss would be HD on my 360, other than that you can keep LCD etc... until they sort of the crap picture on standard def!.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I love that OLED screen, but what's the point in having such a thin screen if you need a fat base with it?

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
hang on... OLED is miles off at the moment isn't it?? especially for the type of size you'd want in your living room. I mean i'm jusut about to buy a 7 series samsung LED 55" for £2100. I'm choosing it because it has a great size/price but also because the only set avalible right now that beats it is an old pio kuro and even that is a subject of debate. The new LED backlite LCD teles are fantastic for blacks and whites. i've seen the sets next to regular LCDs and the pic quality blows them out the water.

I have been lead to believe via recent reading online etc that , waiting for OLED is like 2-3 years away fro a tele that size for that kind of price....or am i wrong? anyone got more information?

the only set that beats it is a kuro?!?!?!? bullshit. the samsung led sets have revied no acclaim for picture quality...

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol, crt, get out, with ps3, 360 and sky-hd theres not a lot of standard def in my house!

oled, the sony one i saw was f**king amazing, but then anything looks amazing at 11", a high resolution and a video running which was made to make it look amazing, so i'll reserve judgment on how good it is when i see a 40" one, which will be a few years imo in the home market.

They are very thin and the idea is to have them as rollup screens for some uses which is apparently possible with oled. The colours and contrast on the one i saw were amazing, but as said, the video was designed to do that and the size screen they currently have would make anything look impressive anyway.

I am looking at getting a samsung led too, they are pretty impressive and i haven't seen a better picture on an lcd tbh.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
the only set that beats it is a kuro?!?!?!? bulls**t. the samsung led sets have revied no acclaim for picture quality...

how do you figure that. maybe u should try some review sites mate....every review on the samsung LED sets i've read has been very positive, strong blacks and whites. I've also seen it in the flesh and there isn't an LCD i saw that even comes near it.

here for example is the what hifi review of the 7 series 40"

http://whathifi.com/Review/Samsung-UE40B7020/

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
in gaming mode...

Black Level
Because of the presence of auto-dimming, it’s only fair that we qualify our black level figures with the Average Picture Levels (APLs) under which they are measured. On a totally black screen (video black), the Samsung UE40B7000’s calibrated black level – enhanced by auto-dimming – was measured at 0.01 cd/m2, a superb figure that is beaten only by 9G Pioneer Kuro plasmas (e.g. the PDP-LX5090) and Samsung local-dimming LED-backlit LCD TVs like the F96, A786 and A956 series. On an ANSI checkerboard test pattern, we recorded a still excellent 0.06 cd/m2.
In [Game Mode] where auto-dimming is disabled by switching off [Dynamic Contrast], calibrated black level was 0.04 cd/m2, matching that measured on the CCFL-backlit LE40B650 LCD TV.

still doesn't detract from the telly being very good. they are hundreds of reviews out there if you don't believe me, i'm going on what i saw in the flesh tbqh

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
can you recommend something better then mate? piarticuarly pic quality wise besides the kuro.

Leon Cupra 300
I might just get one of the LED sets, 46" 7020 will be ok, sure it'll ook better than my old 37" Tosh 720p set. ...and it'll look better in the living room whihc is all i'm bothered about TBH

Clio 200 Raider
been thinking about one of these for ages mite have to just bite the bullit and get one soon,it looks as though you can get mkvs playing on them anyway like i have my last samsung so hopefully will work fine

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Last edited:
  182FF with cup packs
been thinking about one of these for ages mite have to just bite the bullit and get one soon,it looks as though you can get mkvs playing on them anyway like i have my last samsung so hopefully will work fine

Yes you can. I have played HD MKV's on my TV from memory stick or USB hard drive (just to see if i could). I didn't get them to play through the DLNA player though, not that I care anyway, as I have my PC hooked up directly via DVI which also runs TVersity to stream to the XBox.

182 ff
samsung tellys are fine i mean who wants to spent all day watching telly " remember its only a telly people "

and the led tv's are fine for another 2 years until the next new one comes out simple really

Clio 200 Raider
Yes you can. I have played HD MKV's on my TV from memory stick or USB hard drive (just to see if i could). I didn't get them to play through the DLNA player though, not that I care anyway, as I have my PC hooked up directly via DVI which also runs TVersity to stream to the XBox.

cheers, yer just looked on av forums im getting the b6000 looks as though you change the model number to 7000 in the service menu to activate it with the new firmware

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
b*****d now i am back to square one. v10 looks ok, but mayaswell look at kuro for the same monies. wanted 55" aswell, so now i'm having to sacrifice size....ahhh ffs!!!

so this one

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/panasonic/tx-p50v10b.html

or the kuro for £2.2k (cheapest i have found)?

Well a V10 is 42, 50 or 65 inch. The 50 is about £1400 I think. The Kuros will be at least 2k and 'only' 50 inch or 60inch, not 55. That's if you can find one that isn't at an inflated price due to supply :p

I did see somewhere was getting in the 6090 Pioneer sets and doing them for a fiver under 3 grand. Think they were only getting 5 in though.

As for other features lik emkv streaming etc, don't let that be a reason for buying a specific telly, buy on picture quality and just add a £70 WDTV box or the like if you want to do that kinda stuff. You can add features like that after but the screen you are stuck with :p

Black Gold Trophy
I really fancy a samsung LED tv, been looking at them for a while... I don't understand a lot of what is being said in those reviews though...All I know is I've seen them and the quality looks fantastic

182FF with cup packs
I really fancy a samsung LED tv, been looking at them for a while... I don't understand a lot of what is being said in those reviews though...All I know is I've seen them and the quality looks fantastic

Most of the stuff they jabber about in the reviews is all about if you want to setup your TV 100% perfectly. It's really for total audio-visual nerds. 99% of the stuff you probably won't ever notice except in extreme circumstances, or unless you're really really looking for it.

I think mine's great, though I did turn the auto dimming off in the service menu as it was annoying me a bit ;)