ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know how to lock browser to one website?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Have a pc in the shop that needs to be locked to our website only so that no one esle can access any other website

Does anyone know of software that can do this?

Thanks

Dirty E91
Think you can add restricted and trusted sites IE, other browsers should allow you to do the same thing.

Cupra
I looked into this a while ago and could only came up with the following options:

1) Use the trusted sites in IE and the security policy to only allow trusted sites in IE
2) Use the firewall/ web filter
3) Create a .vbs file that opens an IE instance without menu bars, fixed size etc so that the user just has a simple window in which to work. The downside is that you can use F11 or CTRL-N to view the address bar or create a new instance (also manageable in the policy).

Good luck, and let me know if you find any other options as I still need something which is an improvement on 3.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
What OS is the machine you're locking down?

I've configured machines like this before a couple of ways.

Windows 7 Pro you can use locally applied policies to setup the account however you like.

XP you can use MS Steadystate I believe to lock things down.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've done this for a kiosk application. I did this by:

1) Writing a keyboard filter driver which prohibits Ctrl+Alt+DEL and all the other special windows keystrokes (alt+tab, ctrl+tab etc)
2) Writing an application which used QtWebkit to create a fullscreen browser app, which filters all URL requests.
3) Writing a launcher which replaces the windows shell and automatically starts the browser application.
4) Setting all manner of registry settings to hide access to the local filing system as a matter of precaution.

It's far from trivial.

Or you could just buy sitekiosk which will do what you want!

I just had a quick play in firefox not the best probably not what you want but it's something

Right click next to the navigation bar and un check the Navigation Bar toolbar button

Push F11 for full screen and then if you have a keyboard like mine you can disable the F key functions but the push of a button

Print the catalogue off and put it on the counter? ;) lol

As above though, OpenDNS is quite good. We use that at work for people who give us grief. Also a group policy that stops them even right clicking.

Rav4
Print the catalogue off and put it on the counter? ;) lol

As above though, OpenDNS is quite good. We use that at work for people who give us grief. Also a group policy that stops them even right clicking.

Normally we do that, but use scansafe too, to filter everything out through a proxy. Cheeky people at work !!

G.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
As said, I've pretty much locked down a win 7 pro machine before just with local policies.

Yeah it's not as secure as Sn00p's efforts, but as this is a machine that you're going to be working by anyway you'll soon see if anyone is trying anything funny as to get round a lot of it is a bit of a faff :)

If it's a remote machine at a remote location then might take a bit more thinking about.