ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone recommend a good claybar?

N/A Currently
I'm after properly detailing my car one weekend, however, i'm a bit of a newbie to all this proper washing!!

At the minute, I just hand wash the car every weekend, and give it a polish every now and then.

I think after xmas, i'm going to completely gut it, and go the whole hog

But, can anyone recommend a gd claybar, and a lubricant to go with it?

I've got stuff to wash the car with, and i've got autoglym super resin polish, thats a couple of bases covered, just claybar and wax i'm unsure of :cool:

Inferno 182
Defo the best clay bar is made by Bilt Hamber - called Auto Clay.
I've been saying this for ages but because it is not in Halfords no one seems to pick up on it.
Just won the Auto Express Clay bar test too.
Great value big bars and you do not need a lube - just water!
If you have not clayed before start with the soft clay.
You can read about this stuff on Detailing World and buy it direct or from somewhere like this -
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/autoc...id=33&osCsid=233f81c2aab2e0857fb07c593cd34696

106 GTi
I like the Sonus Green or Grey depending in contamination levels. Lube just make from car shampoo and water.

Be prepared you car will look worse than before you clay it so maybe look into a more abrasive polish than SRP to use after.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Bilt hamber as above, best I've used

I like the Sonus Green or Grey depending in contamination levels. Lube just make from car shampoo and water.

Be prepared you car will look worse than before you clay it so maybe look into a more abrasive polish than SRP to use after.

Green is good, altho isn't grey quite strong? Can scratch as well can't it? I think the SRP should be a reasonably safe bet if the paint isn't too bad.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the yellow one from clean your car is amazing, as mild to the bodywork as Sonus green yet picks up far more stuff

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've had the yellow one, prefer the bilt hamber if I'm honest! Especially for heavily contaminated cars.

N/A Currently

I've got MER polish as well as SRP, so I could give that a go instead?

106 GTi
Depending what the clay reveals you may need something in the level of abrasives that Meguiars Scratch X has.

What colour is your car ?

N/A Currently
its black,

i'm new to all this detailing lark, i'd love to get into it, but with my car being pride and joy, i want to be quite clued up before I even start :D

White clique
I gave my car its first ever claying (and my first ever attempt on any car) and used the Meguires smooth surface clay kit (2 clay bars, microfibre, detailing spray). I was really impressed with the results, it took out a load of gunk even though its a fine clay bar (lots of green stuff for some reason, especially around the side skirts and boot lid).

It cost about £23, but i think it was more than worth it.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
I've said it before, the Megs kit is a really good starting point if you're a little unsure, quite a fine clay which if you follow the instructions and lube plenty is very difficult to do any harm whilst also doing the job.

106 GTi
It is a shame the Megs kit is so expensive that is it's only downside. There original Quick Clay kit was much better priced.

200 Gordini
quick clay has been good to me.

Im getting that bilthamber next, everyone raves about it on detailingworld.

is elite the cheapest plat to get it?

White Sti Hatch
Just ordered myself up some of the Bilt Hammer stuff 200g of each for £22 delivered is a good deal id say !

i was looking at the sonus green an someform of detailing spray as lube i really want reduce or avoid damageing the paint altogether im still unsure i wont cause damage to my car :eek: