ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone use a projector rather than a TV

Evo 5 RS
Wtf are you on about lol.

My plasma fluctuates from around 140-300w depending on whats on. Hardly bank busting!
As much as LCD can match plasma's, plasma's can better LCD these days.
And if you did some research you would realise that they are both dying technologies with a short to mid term expectancy before other technologies such as OLED and the Eink stuff being developed take off.

If I did some research I definitely wouldn't be buying a Plasma :) Ok so everything is a dying technology, that was kind of a blanket statement really. Fact is though the benefits of Plasma panels don't justify owning one with current LCD technology. If you want to disagree you can, but I'm not sure why you would in all honesty!

In fact the only thing Plasma still excels massively at is lower TV resolutions, which ain't really a massive selling point these days

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
As it has been said you get good and bad of both.

Plasma has plenty of advantages over LCD and vice versa. But to say your "nuts to buy a plasma" or "The only thing plasma panels were ever good for were colour and contrast ratio" or "In fact the only thing Plasma still excels massively at is lower TV resolutions, which ain't really a massive selling point these days" is daft.

What about the better value for money, viewing angles, better blacks, depth perception, motion blur. They also have better refresh rate which leads to plasma generally being better for 3d etc etc.

As it has been said you get good and bad of both.

Plasma has plenty of advantages over LCD and vice versa. But to say your "nuts to buy a plasma" or "The only thing plasma panels were ever good for were colour and contrast ratio" or "In fact the only thing Plasma still excels massively at is lower TV resolutions, which ain't really a massive selling point these days" is daft.

What about the better value for money, viewing angles, better blacks, depth perception, motion blur. They also have better refresh rate which leads to plasma generally being better for 3d etc etc.

You're wasting your time with him ;)

They both have their pro's and con's.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If you can black your room out enough I can guarantee you will have no quarrels with the quality of a full HD projector, I paid about 1k for mine including a 87" screen and it's been treated to a bit of Forza 4 all weekend with Kinnect... Epic

Just to show what I meant above, for reference the TV is a Samsung LCD http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Samsung_LE46A656_LE46A656A1FXXU/version.asp
The iphone does neither justice but it gives an idea, it's best to note Im not using a backdrop with the projector - just a wall.

TV:

77965951.jpg

tv2sf.jpg

Projector:

img0658cp.jpg

img0651me.jpg

img0643ah.jpg

SLK 350
I've got an AV room, HD600X with Boston Acoustics 5.1 through an Onkyo NR609, I use it purely for movies and gaming via PS3... it's fantastic! That said, I wouldn't use it for normal viewing. You need an unlit room otherwise the contrast reduces pretty quickly.

I can certainly recommend the HD600X (£400) as a great 720P projector.