ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone use CAD?

im tearing my hair out here - i cant seem to get a border onto one of drawings - can someone tell me how!!? please

tiTTy & SV650
solidworks is alright aye.

I use Solidedge, quite impressed with it, loads of good features.

If you're used to Autocad, consider Autodesk Inventor. But if your company can afford it just get Pro Engineer.

R35 GTR
im using crappy 2002 i think mate

there is you problem then lol

dave, solidworks any good? had there salesman on at me other day to switch

Well, our place has pro engineer, autocad and solidworks, but they all seem to prefer solidworks as the pdmworks vault they have now setup is a huge timesaver, and helps to track the changes on a part.

I'm no expert with it, but the senior guys here love it, I find it is very easy to learn, with all the tutorials.

Plus they are installing 2007 so it must be good.

i know how to put a boarder on autocad i had to do a whole coarse on that stuff. If anyone has a copy of 2007 or 2006 they wont to sell dont care if its the real version or just a copy let me know

make a border in the paperspace view thing then create a viewport to show your drawing from modelspace. you can then scale the viewport to what you want, or scale the drawing to best fit the viewport.

Golf GTI 1.8T
^ thats the way I do it. on my 2000 version it used to f**k up though so could be whats happening with yours if that is what you are doing.

you could just download 2006/2007

172beast

make a border in the paperspace view thing then create a viewport to show your drawing from modelspace. you can then scale the viewport to what you want, or scale the drawing to best fit the viewport.

No good if you wanna send out scaled drawings tho ;) used to do it that way at my previous job, new job requires drawings to be to scale on either A1 or A0 so we have 1:50, 1:20 etc borders setup, just draw inside them, rather then messing about with viewports.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I find solidworks easier to work in than Autocad. Also use adams but thats for simulations.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Like 172beast says,

I usually detail in model space, then scale my A0 border up say, 50 times to make a 1:50 print.

Makes things easy to work with when your sending files to other people to p1ss about with.

ps, Design/D.O Manager for 6 yrs. London Concrete, London Underground projects etc etc.

tiTTy & SV650
Autodesk Inventor all the way (8 years) fab program.

www.productive-designs.com

its very easy to use but its very easy to model something incorrectly. It works similarly to pro e but doesnt require nearly as many constraints so you can plod away producing shight without realising it.

Good tool, but only if you know what you're doing!

I've used it myself for about 4 years now but I think solid edge is better.

No good if you wanna send out scaled drawings tho ;) used to do it that way at my previous job, new job requires drawings to be to scale on either A1 or A0 so we have 1:50, 1:20 etc borders setup, just draw inside them, rather then messing about with viewports.

you can do them to scales with viewports.

we used them at work for our drawings.

aslong as you set the paperspace size as you want it.. so if you set it to a1, can set the viewport to be scale say 1:50 and print in a1 it will come out in 1:50 scale..

Full Fat 182
Can never understand people who draw in paper space, its crazy.

Set up a drawing sheet, titleblock whatever you want to call it in paper space at 1:1 then draw in model space at 1:1. Then draw a viewport and change the scale to suit the drawing size.

For example: An A1 titleblock/drawing sheet with a ground floor of a house drawn at 1:1 in model space. Draw a viewport in paper space and change the scale to say 1:50. Perfect. All your dims will be perfectly scaled and it wont look mickey mouse

Solidworks and Pro/E are both good bits of software. I favour Pro/E as its more intuitive. Solidworks is great for nice pretty renderings the easy way

acejon, thats how i did it.

then if you want it in a3, make an a3 plot in paper space at 1:1 and a viewport at 1:50 or whatever you want the drawing in.

thats how the whole of our drawing office does it as we have standard company a1/a3/a4 paperspace borders that are on all our drawings.

allthough at college in the engineering design lesson they tried getting people to put the border on their modelspace drawing, when it came out the text they had done on the border was tiny..
so i just taught my class mates to make the border in paperspace then it all comes out in perspective and can set your drawing to be best fit or scaled or what.

A4 Avant
acejon, thats how i did it

then if you want it in a3, make an a3 plot in paper space at 1:1 and a viewport at 1:50 or whatever you want the drawing in.

thats how the whole of our drawing office does it as we have standard company a1/a3/a4 paperspace borders that are on all our drawings.

Thats how we do it too! We have a simple template with a several layouts for A4/A3//A2/A1. Each has a viewport in it that you then scale model space to. Everything is drawn at 1:1 in model space.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
......so i just taught my class mates to make the border in paperspace then it all comes out in perspective and can set your drawing to be best fit or scaled or what.

Comes out in perspective......?
Uh? You were doing 3D in the same lesson then? lol.;)

Now you're just confusing everyone.

Just kidding Guy.....we knew what you meant. :rasp:

172beast

Beauty of CAD is everyone uses it differently but comes out with the same correct result (most of the time) lol I can tell my drawing from anyone elses in our drawing office just by a glance, same with other folk. Viewports can get annoying tho and for what we use theres no point messing about with em, I detail precast concrete stairs and hollowcore flooring, prior to this did entrance lobby flooring, need more money tho, crap what I'm on at the mo!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
^^^ Yeah, I can recognise my drawings because they look better than everyone elses.:coffee:

Know what you mean about the money, £45k a year gets you nowt these days.;)

PM Jonas7, he might be able to help - He does CAD of some description.

After reading the thread and finding out that the program in question is AutoCAD, i dont use that much, so cant help a great deal, but looks like some people have cracked it anyway.

I use a program called Microstation, which probably most people on here havent heard of, its not well known really, but beats AutoCAD hands down IMO. :approve:

Full Fat 182
PM Jonas7, he might be able to help - He does CAD of some description.

After reading the thread and finding out that the program in question is AutoCAD, i dont use that much, so cant help a great deal, but looks like some people have cracked it anyway.

I use a program called Microstation, which probably most people on here havent heard of, its not well known really, but beats AutoCAD hands down IMO. :approve:

I've heard and used it. And tend to agree. AutoCAD is i supose deemed as the industry standard as so many companies use it. Im 23 and have been using it for 12 years since the early days of Release 12 and 5 1/2 "real" floppy discs!

Anyone who ever needs help, im always available. I've used pretty much every 3D and 2D drawing/modelling package to some degree and have or can get "copies" if anyone is interested in any of the packages mentioned here.

For me 3D modelling and Pro/E and Wildfire go hand in hand, being the best and most powerful but perhaps not so easy to get to grips with. For pure ease of use in 2D and creating working drawings, GA's etc, AutoCAD is the most widely available and comes in slimed down thus cheaper version in the LT series. Again easy to use, can be learnt by a monkey and everyone uses it!

Weeman sucks ****
Best I can do but guessing you want a drawing rather than a 3D visual?!

A door's a door in my industry, LOL.

Oops, posted in the wrong thread, LOL!

Last edited:

I've heard and used it. And tend to agree. AutoCAD is i supose deemed as the industry standard as so many companies use it. Im 23 and have been using it for 12 years since the early days of Release 12 and 5 1/2 "real" floppy discs!

Anyone who ever needs help, im always available. I've used pretty much every 3D and 2D drawing/modelling package to some degree and have or can get "copies" if anyone is interested in any of the packages mentioned here.

For me 3D modelling and Pro/E and Wildfire go hand in hand, being the best and most powerful but perhaps not so easy to get to grips with. For pure ease of use in 2D and creating working drawings, GA's etc, AutoCAD is the most widely available and comes in slimed down thus cheaper version in the LT series. Again easy to use, can be learnt by a monkey and everyone uses it!

Yeah, ive looked at CAD jobs around, and AutoCAD out numbers Microstation by 10-1 really. As you say AutoCAD seems to be the industry standard, and its the program used at schools / colleges etc, so everyone grows up with it.

Acejon what package are you actually using now?

Full Fat 182
AutoCAD at the minute. Im a structural Engineering Technician, or CAD monkey which is probably more apt....

I've got a degree in Product Design Engineering but without moving away from Derby, Im gona struggle to get anything more relevant really

well i think ive finally amstered the art of model and paper space in CAD - jesus............

Anyway, thanks for the help

BMW F31
Can never understand people who draw in paper space, its crazy.

Set up a drawing sheet, titleblock whatever you want to call it in paper space at 1:1 then draw in model space at 1:1. Then draw a viewport and change the scale to suit the drawing size.

For example: An A1 titleblock/drawing sheet with a ground floor of a house drawn at 1:1 in model space. Draw a viewport in paper space and change the scale to say 1:50. Perfect. All your dims will be perfectly scaled and it wont look mickey mouse

Solidworks and Pro/E are both good bits of software. I favour Pro/E as its more intuitive. Solidworks is great for nice pretty renderings the easy way

that how we do it too, i work for an architectural practice, we have a couple of people who work in model space e.g scale the title block etc to "look right when plooted but it makes everyhting different if you suddenly have to do an A2 etc. makes it a real pain in the arse when you have to plot it too as its just not as simple as pressing plot e.g you have to draw a window then tell it to scale etc what a load of b****cks!!

i draw everything @ 1:1 scale in model space e.g if you were able to get inside my model it'd be full size.

then we have A1, A2 and A3 company templates already made up which is what i select before i even start drawing, then if i find i need a new different/same size template i just import one.

then go to my paper space template draw a viewport then click in it find my drawing etc and scale the viewport, so quick and easy to set up drawings trust me :)

the beauty of doing it this way is that i can draw for example a 2 storey house e.g 2 floor plans with everything on e.g all electrical notes and symbols and structural info etc, then i can have simply have one paper space tab for my ground floor plan and one for my 1st floor plan etc then another one for my ground floor electrical and so on.

the trick bit is within each viewport on the different tabs you can turn off particular layers but only in those viewports for e.g electrical viewport i have the electrics turned on, in my normal floor plan i have them turned off etc.

it just make sit very quick and easy to creat alot of drawings for not much effort and it keeps the drawing size down too.

i have a friend who works for an architectural practice near me and they use xrefs, now i understand they are a whole new beast :S

Golf GTI 1.8T
You know when your scaleing the viewport in paper space, and the command would be say 1/50XP, why do we have to put XP in, why doesnt it just scale by putting in 1/50 :S I can't remember from college.