ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apline MP500 Amplifier problem...

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
Right I have just bought this.. wired it all up correctly...
(a mate who works down at Halfords helped me out)
RCA to headunit
Remote to Headunit
Power to battery
Ground to Chassis
Speaker cable to sub

Also, what does the RCA do?

Anyway, everything has worked fine over the weekend, but today, i was driving home and the Sub just cut out...
now the sub wont power and the little power light on the amp comes on then goes straight off... or flickers abit... But been playing around and managed somehow to get the sub to work for like 3 seconds then it cut out again..

All the connections on the amp are pretty solid... we tested the cables to make sure there was a circuit and everything was good.. connected it upto the amp again and nothing... first off the light would flicker but the sub would still not work... now the light comes on when you turn the ignition on and then goes straight off...

Really confused... being trying to fix it alll day.. dont know what to do...

Anyone got any ideas of what has happened?

I find it hard to believe that the amp is faulty because it worked for about 3days fine... i didn't even have the sub turned up much when he cut out totally....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2004 Clio 1.2 bucket
sounds like the earth u have isnt good enough i got the alpine v power in mine and when i first fitted it the amp light would flicker so i moved the earth to the isofix point in the car and now works fine ... give it a try ...

Last edited:
  2004 Clio 1.2 bucket
It is the bar across the back of the seats it has a plastic cover over it. you should be able to see 2 big gold bolts i undid one of them n then put my earth under it and tightened back might have to sand the paint off abit to get a better connection though

vaux cavalier
Right I have just bought this.. wired it all up correctly...
(a mate who works down at Halfords helped me out)

So he's fully trained and should be able to diagnose & rectify your fault....;)

Joking aside it all points to a poor connection, (Alpine amps don't usually fail unless pushed by inexperience coupled with ignorance), so I would suggest you start at the front & work back toward the boot....

Because the amps power indicator light is indicating occasional voltage I would assume its either a power supply issue or a power supply issue....

Points to double check;

1, Head unit amp remote lead has 12v at amp, (could take a jump from amp +ve terminal to test)....
2, Check amp power lead to batt terminal connection is good & tight....
3, Check power lead fuse holder connections & REPLACE fuse, (Fuses can fail but look OK)....
4, Check Amp earth is tight....Any suspicions try relocating it or temporarily earth amp direct to batt _ve terminal....

Check voltage across batt terminals with engine running using multi-meter
Check voltage across amplifier terminals with engine running using multi meter, if difference between the two readiings exceeds 0.5v at moderate volume then you should consider upgrading your power supply or charge circuit....

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
It is the bar across the back of the seats it has a plastic cover over it. you should be able to see 2 big gold bolts i undid one of them n then put my earth under it and tightened back might have to sand the paint off abit to get a better connection though

I have taken that out! looked gash and everything fits better with out it in...

The power cable is fine, have gone over everything so many times apart from the ground on the actual body, and the remote lead...

Ill try relocating the ground, and I'm sure the remote is fine.. when i took it off and put it near the live on the amp the blue light showed up... does that mean the remote is fine...

vaux cavalier
I have taken that out! looked gash and everything fits better with out it in...

The power cable is fine, have gone over everything so many times apart from the ground on the actual body, and the remote lead...

Ill try relocating the ground, and I'm sure the remote is fine.. when i took it off and put it near the live on the amp the blue light showed up... does that mean the remote is fine...

The cable connections are the weak spots, along with the 'primary' fuse, if using an 'AGU' type fuse you should replace it just to make sure, (as stated earlier they are susceptible to failure with no obvious signs)....

That shouldn't happen, the amp should remain switched OFF until a 12v supply is being received through both the remote & live terminal....

You state the amp is actually acting as if its switching off, not tripping into protection, this would point to a 'remote feed' issue....To test run a short piece of wire from the amps 'remote' terminal to the amps '+ve' terminal, if the amp springs into life then your remote feed is faulty....