ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple hardware = crap

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
All dead in the last few months .... skip bound shite !!

macsaregay.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
MUHAHAHAHA!

I just love it when Mac owners praise the Mercedes-like build quality on their Macs and then you hear stories like this!

They are just as fragile as PCs, but cost twice the price. Oh, and if a part break on a PC, you've a very good chance of sourcing a replacement within the hour.

D.

106 GTi
Both my 6/7 year old G4 towers are still going strong.

What's wrong with all the machines pictured, like wise to Jon's comment!

Laptops been dropped etc by the users?

Octavia VRS
We bought an iMac G5 here at work last summer and there was a power supply problem by Xmas. Meant to be a common problem on G5s tho?

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Various failures on each. Most have already had new hard drives, mainboards to cure vga faults.

They look good, but I wouldn't want my rocket ship to be powered by one.

Ph1 172 & others
must be said i havent had a problem with any of my apple gear which is a 12" Powerbook G4 (18months old), Apple 17" display (about 3 years old) and keyboard and mouse.

The only slight problem i have had is the keyboard seems to attract those annoying little green bugs you get in the summer

Turbos.
Apples make no sense really, surely they look better but they cost a huge amount of money for a poorer spec.

If i had a penny for every issue ive had with an Pc running windows i'd be a rich man. My Mac so far has given me no problems whatsoever.

106 GTi
The only parts that have failed here at work in 5 odd years on the shed loads of macs are one hard drive, and a couple of CD/DVD drives which are no more expensive to repair than a PC, as they are the same parts found in PC'S.

Our PC server however!

Monaro VXR
This is the thing i dont understand why so many people spunk huge amounts of cash on macs. When they could get a PC and just install linux or bsd etc on it it would then basically be the same.

And i can say my XP machine runs continuouly 24 hours a day its not had a reset now in over 5 weeks and is running absolutely perectly. If you know what your doing XP is pretty stable although i use the 64bit XP which has more in common with 2003 server.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
lets face it, a 2k PC would dump on a 2k mac from a great height. So the mac would look better and possibly be easier for numpties to use. wow!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
wozzaa said:
This is the thing i dont understand why so many people spunk huge amounts of cash on macs. When they could get a PC and just install linux or bsd etc on it it would then basically be the same.

pmsl.

Go use OS X and you'll realise why I'm laughing. linux/bsd doesn't stand a chance in the UI area until they stop messing about a have a single unified consistent gui!

Monaro VXR
OSX is awful i have used a mac i dont like it. its full of little features ot help people who wanna get things done easily without knowing what actually lies underneith.

The linux gui's arent gonna be unifed and consistent because people dont always want a gui. My mate runs linux no gui he used a command line for everything.

Linux is much more configurable. And the mac os i dont particularly rate. But why waste loads of resources for the GUI which the mac system does?

It really is a computer made for dumb people or those that arent into computers know what there doing generally its a lot easier for someone to go on a mac system and bodge there way about and work out what to do, The same cant be said in linux when its stripped down.

And i said would basically be the same i wasnt talking about gui's etc. The hardware the mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware in general that is pure fact its not an opinion its a fact. the drivers arent as good again fact. nvidias are alright but there still behind a bit in them. ATI's are just shite in that OS area.

OS X at the core is just another version of unix. Whats put over the top is just software you could probably find a good copy of OS X's gui for linux to be honest.

The simple fact is mac's are way overpriced there hardware isnt as good but they have software which everyone seems to love because they hve usually only used that or windows. Not many people know about the other nix variants. And theres also the one good thing about them....THERE FREE!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Interesting. These are just my thoughts, I'm not flaming or being a r****d, just fighting my corner ;) :)

I spend all day fighting windows (I'm the programmer of a commercial cad tool) - but like mac os it has a single consistent (ish) GUI and a standard API (ok .net & winfx are diluting this), which means a heck of a lot to a software developer.

I'm also a linux advocate, I have various linux boxes that do various random tasks for me at work, and most of the time access is by ssh.

So.....

wozzaa said:
OSX is awful i have used a mac i dont like it. its full of little features ot help people who wanna get things done easily without knowing what actually lies underneith.

But that's 99% of the home computer userbase! ;) They fire up their web browser and they read their emails and possibly write the odd letter.

But the fact remains that it's all there, start up a terminal and you can do whatever unix type things you want to do.

wozzaa said:
The linux gui's arent gonna be unifed and consistent because people dont always want a gui. My mate runs linux no gui he used a command line for everything.

But mainstream software requires GUI's if you want usability for the masses, from a developer point of view it's a nightmare, what do you write your software for, X? KDE? Gnome? All three? (<- nightmare!)

And if you link to the KDE libraries then you can't ship commercial software unless you pay trolltech for the QT license, because some idiot thought it'd be a good idea to base KDE on QT.

wozzaa said:
Linux is much more configurable. And the mac os i dont particularly rate. But why waste loads of resources for the GUI which the mac system does?

I'm not sure in what way linux is more configurable given that they're both posix OS's, just drop to terminal and have a look in /etc, you'll find all the usual suspects.

Infact OS X provides lots of nice simple GUI's for configuring stuff like that, take for example apache, press one button in the preferences panel and you're good to go. It's configured out of the box for each user to have their own site too.

At least apple isn't stuck in the past with "X". They wrote their own GUI (or rather NeXT did) which didn't have all the crap that X windows has because of it's age.

OS X also offloads most of it's graphical niceties to open-gl, so the penalty hit is much lower than you might imagine, this is a trick that vista is going to utilise too.

Plus install apples X server, compile you're favourite linux software and it'll run.

wozzaa said:
It really is a computer made for dumb people or those that arent into computers know what there doing generally its a lot easier for someone to go on a mac system and bodge there way about and work out what to do, The same cant be said in linux when its stripped down.

But again that's 99% of the home computing population. I could stick linux in front of nearly every single one of my friends and certainly in front of every member of my family and they'd not have a clue on what to do.

I write embedded software & windows software, so I'm definately not dumb and I'm definately into computers, so mac os x is obviously offering me something that windows or linux doesnt.

wozzaa said:
And i said would basically be the same i wasnt talking about gui's etc. The hardware the mac hardware is not as good as PC hardware in general that is pure fact its not an opinion its a fact. the drivers arent as good again fact. nvidias are alright but there still behind a bit in them. ATI's are just sh*te in that OS area.

Apples have been shipping with ATI cards as the default card for years, there's nothing wrong with their drivers.

Slashdot says otherwise about the hardware, the macbook pro running XP in photoshop tests beats every other core duo laptop out there on the market, and that's without accelerated drivers! (the intel mac's use EFI which means that there are currently no XP graphics drivers).

wozzaa said:
OS X at the core is just another version of unix. Whats put over the top is just software you could probably find a good copy of OS X's gui for linux to be honest.

Yes, it's another POSIX implementation, but it's GUI that's the killer. I've not seen any linux GUI that comes anywhere near to OS X, although I'm more than happy to be proved wrong :)

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Ive had my powerbook for nearly year and a half and touch wood it hasnt gone wrong! I leave it on pretty much all night every night!