ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Vision Pro

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I mean $3500 is a lot. But Jesus wept it makes anything that’s come before look like s**t toys.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Whilst it does look cool until they can fit that kinda tech into a normalish looking pair of glasses still seems like a gimmick to me.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I mean $3500 is a lot. But Jesus wept it makes anything that’s come before look like s**t toys.

Ghey and s**t. Or s**t and ghey. Depends on your preference. Does it come with a free corsa vxr?

@dk has it on pre-order already x

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Certainly impressive technology, but I agree with other comments I've seen... that what problem is it really solving? I just don't see these as consumer devices. I saw HoloLens in use at a company I did training at and it seemed very impressed for that work based engineer stuff. VR obviously good for gaming. Sitting around in my house when I could be using other screens i.e. TV or phone etc. for browsing the web or texting/FaceTime, I'm just not sure.

Hope I'm proved wrong though because it is kind of genuinely exciting and what with this and AI I feel like we're finally getting into movie type sci-fi lol.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I think it’s intended as a showcase for this type of interaction. You’ll probably see tech from this product cross over into phones.

I don’t expect it to be anything other than a halo device.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Never heard of this before until I saw the YouTube video clip from the event. I’m amazed of what it offers and I’m sure they’ll be issues. the film Ready Player One rings a bell with the headset. I’m really interested in this.

how far is the technology on like on Iron Man like using the computer using his fingers like moving it about with no screens and that

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really excited for it, but honestly it depends how much of what it promises it can actually do. It's going to all be about the quality of the screens, the optics and the software. What they are promising in the demos is a long way ahead of what's been possible up until now, specifically in terms of field of view and resolution, and the level of hand tracking is going to be very hard to get right.

If they have enough processing power on board, and it looks like they do, then there will likely be some wizardry going on with the eye tracking to only render where you are looking in high detail (PSVR already does this) but can they get rid of the screen door effect?

It's more about the software for me, if they get that right then the hardware will follow over time. What sold iPhone was people getting their hands on one and playing with multitouch screens and Apple's new UI for the first time, the ease of use and slickness was off the charts better than anything else out there. If they can make using AR completely slick and enjoyable as an everyday proposition then that's the game changer.

I can't see me dropping £3.5k on one though, but one of my neighbours is so I can have a go on his :LOL:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm really excited for it, but honestly it depends how much of what it promises it can actually do. It's going to all be about the quality of the screens, the optics and the software. What they are promising in the demos is a long way ahead of what's been possible up until now, specifically in terms of field of view and resolution, and the level of hand tracking is going to be very hard to get right.

If they have enough processing power on board, and it looks like they do, then there will likely be some wizardry going on with the eye tracking to only render where you are looking in high detail (PSVR already does this) but can they get rid of the screen door effect?

It's more about the software for me, if they get that right then the hardware will follow over time. What sold iPhone was people getting their hands on one and playing with multitouch screens and Apple's new UI for the first time, the ease of use and slickness was off the charts better than anything else out there. If they can make using AR completely slick and enjoyable as an everyday proposition then that's the game changer.

I can't see me dropping £3.5k on one though, but one of my neighbours is so I can have a go on his :LOL:

Oh I’ll 100% be suggesting one of our corporate clients buys a few just to have a go.
That’s how we ended up with a couple HoloLens headsets.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'm glad it exists purely because of the storm of fuckwittery it's unleashed on the BBC's have your say forum.

How can people who know so little comment with such certainty :LOL:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
As someone above said, great for certain workplaces as a training aid, and ok for gamers, but a gimmick for anyone else. Can see plenty being bought and soon ending up on a shelf, gathering dust. We keep being told that VR is going to take over the world, but plenty of the big tech companies are struggling to make any real headway with it outside shiny announcements.

If anyone is going to make this sort of thing successful though, it will be Apple, purely because of their ability to market. They could sell snow to an Eskimo.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Watching 2D content on a VR headset is rubbish, you'd think it'd be more immersive or something, but it's quite the opposite.

Maybe augmented reality is somewhat better, but I'm not totally convinced. Especially not for several grand.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
As someone above said, great for certain workplaces as a training aid, and ok for gamers, but a gimmick for anyone else. Can see plenty being bought and soon ending up on a shelf, gathering dust. We keep being told that VR is going to take over the world, but plenty of the big tech companies are struggling to make any real headway with it outside shiny announcements.

This is where I think Apple have really got it right and changed the game. Everyone else has built hardware in search of a use, Apple have built an actual computing environment with hardware to support it. Software has always been their differentiator - sure, they make nice hardware at a premium price, but without the software it wouldn't sell.

Instead of just having a large virtual monitor which you can work on just like on a normal PC, you have an entire AR workspace where you can place windows wherever you want and change your focus just by looking. It's hard to overstate just what a big differentiator this is. I almost entirely work from home on IT stuff and if this is as good as it looks then it would genuinely be brilliant for me.

I suspect it will be very first-gen and not quite live up to the promises, but it's a hell of a promising step towards that future.

Clio 197,with megan'
One aspect of 3D failure, was that people did not want to wear the Glasses, and I cannot see the General public taking to this, plus the price is out of a lot of peoples pockets.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Mass adoption will be 10+ years away due to cost, which will be hard to drive down with all the sensors required for this level of experience. I definitely see augmented reality glasses ultimately replacing phones (in wealthy countries). Cost prohibitive for now unfortunately. There's still always the privacy "issue" of walking around in public with a camera on your head 24/7.