ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are bonnet scoops to chav?

I want to feed my open filter with some cold air and the only way I can see to do it is a bonnet scoop. I have found a nice sized Reverie carbon one but I have a nagging in the back of my mind saying that fitting a scoop is to boy racer.

http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/shop/products.php?p=97e3c2

R01SE0068b.jpg

VaVa
Well it isn't in your case as you're doing it for a legitimate reason.

The real question is will people look at your car and think you are a boy racer chav scum? Undoubtedly!

VX220 Turbo
scoopes and stuff like that which stick up are very chav how about more subtle louvers or a vent which goes down into the bonnet although still a little chav not as bad as a big thing sticking up

Well it isn't in your case as you're doing it for a legitimate reason.

The real question is will people look at your car and think you are a boy racer chav scum? Undoubtedly!

i think that one is okay, as long as it has a real purpose who cares what people think anyway ???

True, but as Laningo says it might be a bit to chav. A scoop would be a big benefit to my setup though.

1h.jpg

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
if it will have an advantage do it... with buckets and racing alloys people will understand your car is performance based therefore they will work out that the scoop is for performance rather than style

VaVa
No they won't. We might, as initiated memebers of a car club... but Joe Public? He's going to think chav immeadiately.

VX220 Turbo
where on your bonnet were you thinking of fitting the scoop? as this would have a huge impact on how chav it looked lol.

also bear in mind water getting into the filter when it rains.

where on your bonnet were you thinking of fitting the scoop? as this would have a huge impact on how chav it looked lol.

also bear in mind water getting into the filter when it rains.

I will check the location tonight and see if I can photoshop it.

Rain shouldnt be a problem. I would build a lip under the scoop to stop water running up the bonnet and into the hole.

Clio 172 mk2
Good if functional but as said before...I don't think joe public will see it that way, they'll see the scoop and think chav straight away:(

As for rain/debris getting in you'll have to put some kind of tray underneath to shop it all getting in the engine bay.

1.6 16v without an engine
what dyu care what other people think??? its your car u do what u want with it... aslong as u like it then thats fine...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Mark, Have you ever seen the Gruppe M on a DC5, the skuttle pannel (Bit by the windscreen) it customised to include a scoob...Whilst the cars are different, mayb a similar approach could be taken. - Saves you spoiling the looks of the car with a vent.

Storm Grey 200
A valver bonnet scoop(ish) could like a pretty nice, maybe. Photoshop it up, could like nice and subtle but maybe just in my head, could like a big pile o w**k in life...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Why are you trying to make a decision in which one of the sides of the argument is basically "what others think"... ???

If you want to do it, do it. No one's going to stop and stare at you in the street, although I'll keep an eye out on barryboys.com ;)

Assuming you're trying to get cold air to the filter (not read all the above) how much room is there behind the grill?

Could you remove the passenger side grill and have a direct feed to there, like I've seen on a couple of saxos?

M2 Competition
If it does the job who cares.

Tbh slamming the car on coilovers/ loud exhausts etc could be seen as chav to those not in the know...

Paul - Ive tried that and cant find enough room :( how do the carbon ram air style kits you can get for clios work?

Ali the Gruppe M is tidy but the clio bay generally lacks space for something like that.

Heres a photoshop of the reverie scoop. Its to scale.

IMG_0202a.jpg

IMG_0200a.jpg

Heres the position of my filter.

IMG_0189a.jpg

Chocolate Bar™
ill be going for the open filter setup once ive sorted the 101+ other jobs i want to do, and in a weird sort of way i kind of like that vent

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
i agree with alex a think lourves or something similar yours could look even better without tht scoop but still hav great air intake fog lamp-air duct is stunning tho!!!!!! :dapprove: only if!!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Very random idea...Lose the bonnet, go for a drive...(Don't get caught) and see if it's any better...I'd be worried about fitting it....It doing sweet FA and then takin it off!!!

Black 172 MK2
personaly i8 wouyld have the bonnet cut just where it rolls over the edge. and have it made into the sort of shape that vent is just not so big if you understand what i mean.

at the end of the day its your car if its for a reason go for it.

Clio 172 mk2
Not keen on the look of that but would obviously look better colour matched to the car.

TBH messing about with vents and scoops can have the opposite effect sometimes creating hotspots under the bonnet.