ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are Clio Windscreens Particulary Weak?

I am going to be getting my 5th screen in 3 years. Every stone that hits it causes a crack.

I was beginning to wonder that myself.
Had my last car for over 3 years and never once had a chip in the windscreen.

Got the clio in November and i've had four.

Strange.

Ph-Sold!
Only the 172 cup has a thinner (and possibly weaker) screen, I've thought the one on my ph1 has been pretty tough. Rear one just shattered by itself though :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As far as i can tell mines on it's original screen and it's 7 years old and 70k

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
Original screen 6 years and 80k in. Would love a new screen though, the thing has a few stone chips here and there and never quite looks 100% clean. I think the screen is more likely to get chipped due to the design of the car. Cars I've had with longer/higher bonnets have seen higher mileages with less damage.

I'd be tempted to smash it and pay £50 on the insurance, but I know they'd bugger up the gel pack thing.

172 ph1
It's probably the shitty ones Autoglass use. It had an original when I got it, which must have lasted 3 years.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Original screen 6 years and 80k in. Would love a new screen though, the thing has a few stone chips here and there and never quite looks 100% clean. I think the screen is more likely to get chipped due to the design of the car. Cars I've had with longer/higher bonnets have seen higher mileages with less damage.

I'd be tempted to smash it and pay £50 on the insurance, but I know they'd bugger up the gel pack thing.

I'm in the same boot mate, i have quite a lot of stone chips, and a new screen would look better. I just don't want to risk buggering up the gel pack/s

CTR

Sure when I had mine done about 4 months ago my excess was up to 60 squid. Might be wrong though...!

Had to get screen replaced twice in 3 yrs / 49k miles in my 182 btw. Agree that it seemed to get hit much more often than other cars I've owned, and I'm definitely not a tailgating pr*ck!

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
I've had umpteen bricks (*disclaimer: not really bricks, just pretty big stones off the road) hit my screen in the 4 months I've owned it, and it hasn't cracked yet. Thought it'd gone the other day though, the noise was so loud when the rock hit!

BMW E92/Audi S3
I poured hot water on mine when it froze over, ive had chavs throw lager at my windows and stones.. not a crack in em..

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Yea i wonder this too.

Only had my new windscreen put in through insurance for £70, as i had a massive crack on it, from a previous stone chip that i didn't pay any attention to.

1 week later after the new windscreen was put on, a stone hit it, and chipped it, right in front of my vision aswell, bang on :( Very annoying to look @ each time i drive :(

clio dci
I have a dci on a 51 with 100k and its on the origional screen! looks a little tired now but no cracks.
BTW whats a gel pack??

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
mine got a tiny hit with a stone and it ended up needing replaced, though it was the sun that I believe made it worse due to the shrinking and expanding done with the hot and cold weather.

Was a crappy wee stone that did it though!

To show how pisch they are my last car - corsa got a boulder in it on the M8, it had left a haulage lorries rear and it never cracked or anything.