ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are these signs of UCH dying? or something else?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I was doing a lot of driving for work over the last week and one morning the car wouldn't start. It cranked over for about 3 seconds then stopped. I popped the bonnet, gave all the wires a good wiggle and pushed everything in a bit and it started straight up.

Driving along yesterday and it started to rain, I flicked my wipers on and every time the relay activated, the car misfired momentarily and the Stop & Battery light flicked on for a millisecond. It got worse over time and as I was pulling up to the house, I thought I would give my lights a flash (as it seemed like the issue was arising every time I used something that drew power) and the radio, lights and dash lights all went out until I let go of the stalk and then everything fired back up again. I went to open the car this morning and the key fob wouldn't unlock the doors, the battery was flat.

Any ideas what would be the cause of this? The cars had a new battery and alternator in the last 12 months.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I would measure the alternator voltage when car is running and various electrical items on. Does point towards alternator or battery issue imo.

Bad earth can also cause similar issues. Make sure the connections to battery are good.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Check your earth strap on the gearbox in the passenger wheel arch and also the alternator as mentioned.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Will do, I'll get the multimeter out later. I was thinking it sounded like an earth or alternator issue, but with having a new one recently I was hoping it wasn't scrap already.

Cheers folks.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Will do, I'll get the multimeter out later. I was thinking it sounded like an earth or alternator issue, but with having a new one recently I was hoping it wasn't scrap already.

Cheers folks.

Alternators and Clios. They seem to be a real weak point for some strange reason. Had my fair share of issues with the bloody things!!!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Alternators and Clios. They seem to be a real weak point for some strange reason. Had my fair share of issues with the bloody things!!!

This, don't rule out a duff / dying battery either, especially now the ambient temperature is cooler than previous weeks.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I made the mistake taking my 182 back to the local dealership when the alternator failed on mine.

Took them three attempts to get it right and then had the cheek to say that they had 'lost money' when I queried the ridiculously high labour charge.

I would rather engulf my car in flame than take it back there again.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Ah don't b e telling me that.

I hope it's the battery as it's got a 5 year warranty (bosch jobbie), I didnt get a chance to get the car tested last night as it was pissing down and my garage is full atm

I'll report back with my findings!

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Result:

My mrs had kicked my battery cut-off switch in the passenger footwell. Just turned it enough to disconnect it slightly and still leave the red key in. I really need to remove that.

Next issue - Since this my clock has a gremlin... It's going up an hour at a time by itself and doesn't stop... Anyone seen this before?

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Regarding the clock, I’ve just had a similar issue with mines. It was continually scrolling through the minutes on its own and some of the digits started only partially appearing. Started doing it out of the blue and so replaced the clock/screen with another unit and that has solved the issue.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
It's a bit odd. Might be something to do with me fitting a pioneer hu recently. I'll pull it out and have a look to se if i've damaged any wires or whatever