ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are you only seeing half the picture?

S3, Polo
Do you know what? I was considering selling my Cup last week. I'd just finished replacing all of the bits made of chocolate and it's now better than it's ever been.

My rational self felt that it made sense to sell it whilst it was running well and before the mileage gets too high and makes it worthless...

Well, after today, I'm so, so glad that I kept it! :) Wow, I love my car - Let me explain why:

On the surface of it, a Mk2 Ph1/2 Clio Sport is a badly-built, moderately quick, hot hatch.

On the road, it's nothing exceptional - if we're all being honest - and this can lead us to lament it's imperfections (as so many do, daily :rolleyes:).

HOWEVER

On track - today in particular, and in changeable conditions - mine was nothing short of breathtaking.

We all had a few great sessions at Bedford today mixing it with some well driven Cayman's, lowly 993's and some BMW's (and some not-so-well driven variants of the same cars!).

In one session in particular, I was just getting in some laps, absorbing the lines and generally getting used to the circuit. All of a sudden, a well-driven, black Cayman S shot past. I thought "f*ck it, I'll give chase, for sh!ts and giggles". I started by following his lines. After a lap or so, I realised that I was faster through certain parts of the track (twisties LOL) and, as the lap-count racked up, we ended up having had a great, safe 'battle'. Through the technical stuff, I was all over him - without being a d!ck but, as expected, he left me on the straights! For six or seven laps, I couldn't pass and he couldn't shake me for longer than a few moments. Not a problem - I was having some of the best fun I've *ever* had driving a car.

It took me half an hour to come down from the adrenaline high! :) Afterwards, the guy approached me and we had a chat. He asked me what I had done to my car - to which I replied, "it's not really anything out of the ordinary!" It's not, I've just looked after it and uprated a few of the common failure points...

Now, I'm not professing to be some sort of track hero - I'm honestly not - the car played a massive, massive part in it.

I've been fortunate enough to own/ drive some very nice cars both on track and on the road. Out of my personal cars: S2000, VX220T, 330 M-Sport, EP3 CTR - amongst others - None have had such an impact on me as my 172 Cup. Track driving seems to really highlight a car's foibles. For instance, I loved the VXT when I drove it at Silverstone, but it was prone to biting you on the arse if you took liberties and the S2000 suffered from a number of flaws that just made it unnerving to drive at 100% (grip, grip, grip... spin!). The Clio can be driven at 100%, fully committed everywhere. Awesome, IMO.

If you own an RS, do you know how lucky you are??? :) If you've not been before, take it to the track - they ARE out of the ordinary - I guarantee you'll not regret it *

Thanks for looking.

* Unless you're a numpty and drive it like a plum!

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from because I've nearly sold mine a couple of times, you even p.m'd me when I had mine up for sale, if you remember? lol. After a good drive I've realised I didn't want to sell it.

Even though I've had quite a few problems with it,and have become extremely dis-heartened with it, I honestly can't see myself selling it unless it becomes financially impossible for me to keep it.

172 Cup
To be honest, I know they are french and that they rattle and break but the are SPORTS!! The renaultsport clio is made to go fast, be driven harshly and push to its limits, that is how they test and develop the new models, and look everytime the handling has got that little bit better! Look at where they are now with the 200 cup, I think the vid of it chasing the FOCUS RS says it all.

I love the little renault, they are a real sleeper car and if looked after are great, they are like an rspca puppy, if you look after it and love it it will love you back, where as the more expensive cars are like the pedigree £2k+ puppy that you dont look after and put all your attention to, they bite you in the arse!

We know its not perfect, we know it will break, and im sure my fellow 172 owners know our exhausts will fall off and our backs may break yet we love it because no mtter what you say, you will smile when you floor it in the RS, it IS so much fun!!!!