ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh. She Be Leaking Oil...

A ANIMAL
Try again!!!!

Leaking oil. it's pooling underneath the head. It's not alot and i'm not sure how long it's been doing it tbh. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Oil1.jpg
    Oil1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 158
Probably the cam cover. If you're lucky it'll be coming up a bolt hole and you can take it (the bolt) out and put some sealant under the bolt head.

Otherwise it's cambelt off to remove the cam cover and re-seal it. I think.

If it isn't bad I wouldn't worry about it.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
My 182 had this, too. Bloody oil from the bolt holes, as mentioned above.

Renault sorted it under warranty FTW.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PMSL. :cool:

Best to get it sorted quickly, while still under warranty IIRC. While you're at the Wizard's gaff, a bit of time travel wouldnt go amiss ;)

1998 BMW e46 323i
madness, as i was reading christopher's comment he drove past me! Brap brapping... Tesco NLW. It sounds defo like the cam cover. On older cars i've had the cam cover not seal due to it being warped. Rovers FTL! But a new gasket should sort it.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Just had my Cam Cover Gasket done as mine ws leaking in the same place, As above its a Cam Belt off Job!

200bhp 172 cup
more likely to be leaking from the cam cover bolts so check this first before you start splashing out on bits

Just to clear this up the cam cover has no gasket. It's a sealant job!

Leak could also be from the VVT actuator so worth checking that out as its a quick fix.

Cheers
M

ValverInBits
when applying the sealant, you have to bead round the correct side of the bolt holes (round the inside)

Thanks guys. Its only done 23,200 miles. Would it be worth changing the cam belt if it has to come off?

Yes it would. However if its only weeping a bit don't worry about it.

Even our brand new Oreca built race engines weep a bit of oil from the VVT actuator and rocker cover bolt holes.

It's an F4R thing ;-)

Cheers
M

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yes it would. However if its only weeping a bit don't worry about it.

Even our brand new Oreca built race engines weep a bit of oil from the VVT actuator and rocker cover bolt holes.

It's an F4R thing ;-)

Cheers
M
Exactly what Fred said when he looked at mine.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Just to clear this up the cam cover has no gasket. It's a sealant job!

Leak could also be from the VVT actuator so worth checking that out as its a quick fix.

Cheers
M

That explained the "Blue" stuff on the Cam Cover then