ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh, trying to fix bro's computer - LNK and EXE files not opening...

CTR EK9 turbo
My brother was running adaware and during a scan it went 'funny'.

Basically it seems none of the .lnk or .exe files work.

This sounds like a virus which has affected the registry. Unfortunately we can't even run regedit. I tried renaming it as a .bat file but it still wouldn't run. I don't really know what i'm doing....

I tried out some of those .inf downloads but it brings up a 'can't open grpsomething.exe' message.

Does this sound like a format C job?

Cheers in advance,

Si

it's running XP professional and system restore wont run either....

Audi S3 225
Did you ever make a backup of the registry as you could have tried restoring that, i normally make a backup after a fresh format.

Have you tried a prog called Registry Mechanic u can get the full version from the usaul places...? if it was me id save the hassle and backup what i need and format.

Allan

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Try right click -> open with and use rundll32 to open. you might have no luck whatsoever. I suggest a reinstall over the top of the existing installation if you get no joy - formatting the hard drive should never really be an option unless it is totally shafted as you will lose everything.

CTR EK9 turbo
OK cool, thanks for the advise! The comp is well due a format, so think it's going to be that.....

thanks again :)

si

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
boot into safe mode (hold F8 on start up), then run adaware.

Monaro VXR
its actually good to do a proper format every year. Due to the amount of shite that windows loves to install in random places.

And a format doesnt have to get rid of everything thats why partitions are an amazing thing.

my drives are partitions in 2 or 3 bits each

20gig for each OS. then 100 for downloads 150 for music films etc and another 40 for games 40 for junk and just general photos etc.

That way whenver windows goes tits up which it does do eventually i just eithe rload up another OS since i have 2 or i just format and start again takes less than an hour to format and be back up and running again with nothing lost.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
wozzaa said:
its actually good to do a proper format every year. Due to the amount of sh*te that windows loves to install in random places.

And a format doesnt have to get rid of everything thats why partitions are an amazing thing.

my drives are partitions in 2 or 3 bits each

20gig for each OS. then 100 for downloads 150 for music films etc and another 40 for games 40 for junk and just general photos etc.

That way whenver windows goes tits up which it does do eventually i just eithe rload up another OS since i have 2 or i just format and start again takes less than an hour to format and be back up and running again with nothing lost.

I agree. 45 minutes start to finish from the XP CD going in the drive, to the first round of Windows updates being downloaded...

D.