ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ARGHHHHHHHH I hate Clios

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Well maybe that's a little unfair, maybe it should be I hate cars in general, or possibly myself, that's probably fairer.

Bought a tidy 182 with 90k on last month to replace my aging high mileage 172. Car was an MOT failure for bolt on parts (brakes, cv boot and suspension) but did have a light tappet sound but ran well. Was confident it wasn't dephaser, so assumed it was literally a tapping tappet on way out. Belts were due and at the price I paid it wasn't a big concern.

It sailed through its MoT so thought id start using it for a week or 2 before I cracked on with the work on the head.
Yesterday the tapping became a knocking and 30 secs later the whole thing went bang.
Whipped the rocker off last night expecting to find a mess of rockers and tappets, but nothing. After all that it must have been the bottom end :(. So have to rip it all out now. Also found bits of metal in the inlet so something must have got sucked up the breathers so could well be more damage on the under side of the head. :( :( :( :banghead:

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Sucks that it went bang mate but at least you can pick up a new engine from £250ish

Fortunately im braking a 172, but was hoping to get that £250 in my pocket, rather than using it to this one!

Not good :(

I'm sure some of the SC lot can lend a hand if needed come engine swap time. I have a crane etc you can borrow for example.

Cheers for the offer, again i'm fortunate to have by brothers one (have done for 5 years now, I think he owes me storage rent!)

I'll have to try and look on the bright side. Gives me a chance to tidy up the block with some engine paint, get the powder coat kit out and do all the brackets and rocker etc. Was hoping to have it done in a weekend (when I thought it was just a tappet), so the other bright side is I may have to cycle to work, which should shed a few pounds!

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Hi,I will next week have available the bottom end of my 33000 mile engine @ £100
The top end went, but the bottom end survived

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
It had 90k on it though. Still a nightmare though!

The 172 Il be taking the bottom end from now has 138k! 90k should be nothing if serviced well. Sadly this one may not have had that servicing.

Hi,I will next week have available the bottom end of my 33000 mile engine @ £100
The top end went, but the bottom end survived

Tempting but I will be getting on with it this weekend as wife is away so gives me a free reign to spend hours working on it uninterrupted! Cant really justify spending more when I have a spare already. If you were more local it would be even more tempting!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear.... wasn't expecting that much mess..... opps

20140912_211327_zpshlteq5x5.jpg

20140912_211439_zpsoohfell2.jpg

Clio 182
Sorry to hear the news! Always at the wrong time not that there's never a good time....

what at causes a dropped valve any reason or something that just happens out of interest?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Sorry to ask in here, But you said you originally had a tappet problem. Im a noob when it comes to engines, what the tappet and does it make a subtle tapping noise when its starting to go?

My engine has a tapping you can hear which increases when you rev, has been like that since i had the belts changed.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I originally thought I had a tappet problem. There was a light tappet sound from the engine which would usually point to a stuck/blocked hydraulic lifter, or wear on the rocker or cam. I was very wrong, as the tap was in fact coming from the bottom end, which is what caused the damage.
If yours developed immediately after your belts were done it could be a timing issue. Where were the belts done?