ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Assetto Corsa modding (PC)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Still impresses me that you manage to drive the car like that @SharkyUK with a mere gamepad!

I'd suspect that with a proper wheel setup, you'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more.
Last night in work I was dicking around in Dirt Rally 2.0 and managed to go 384th fastest on the global leaderboard on Bidno Moorland in a 95 Impreza... on a laptop using arrow keys LOL.

Wheel is SO worth it, even just a G27 or similar, but the new Fanatec CSL DD is so good for the price, so get that.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Still impresses me that you manage to drive the car like that @SharkyUK with a mere gamepad!

I'd suspect that with a proper wheel setup, you'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Yeah, I absolutely would mate - I've no doubt. I really enjoy playing on my friend's Fanatec setup. I've just been holding off as I'm not sure which way to go with it. I really want to go full motion / actuated rig but keep talking myself out of it due to the cost. I already have a perfect room off the side of my home office that is ideal for a sim setup; literally ready to go. The missus doesn't mind what I do but it's a lot of money and, only being an occasional racer / tourist, I can't sensibly justify it. In the meantime I think I'll probably look at a half-decent wheel and pedal setup that offers enough flexibility to use 'standalone' or as part of a decent rig setup (thinking to the future).

Last night in work I was dicking around in Dirt Rally 2.0 and managed to go 384th fastest on the global leaderboard on Bidno Moorland in a 95 Impreza... on a laptop using arrow keys LOL.

Wheel is SO worth it, even just a G27 or similar, but the new Fanatec CSL DD is so good for the price, so get that.

Impressive on a keyboard! :ROFLMAO:

And yes, that Fanatec does look good. As do the Heusinkveld pedals I keep looking at...! :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Seems like a Fanatec CSL DD setup is hard to get hold of due to parts availability? Also, the configurator on their website confused me! :LOL: I was trying to price up a CSL DD setup that could be used on PC and Xbox, got to around 1.5k, and still wasn't sure if I had all the bits I needed or not. :ROFLMAO:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I absolutely would mate - I've no doubt. I really enjoy playing on my friend's Fanatec setup. I've just been holding off as I'm not sure which way to go with it. I really want to go full motion / actuated rig but keep talking myself out of it due to the cost. I already have a perfect room off the side of my home office that is ideal for a sim setup; literally ready to go. The missus doesn't mind what I do but it's a lot of money and, only being an occasional racer / tourist, I can't sensibly justify it. In the meantime I think I'll probably look at a half-decent wheel and pedal setup that offers enough flexibility to use 'standalone' or as part of a decent rig setup (thinking to the future).

Impressive on a keyboard! :ROFLMAO:

And yes, that Fanatec does look good. As do the Heusinkveld pedals I keep looking at...! :p
That's the main reason why I went for the GT Track setup mate. It was a good 'halfway house' between a entry level setup and a professional bit of kit that has optional expansions including motion platforms.

The latter as well you know are horrendously expensive - I think I've seen one motion pack at over £5k alone - but who knows if someone lets a gem slip through onto eBay in a few years time? ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_fgg_mitsubishi_evo_5_wangan_ks_red_bull_ring_15-8-121-1-43-10.jpg

Screenshot_ktyu_honda_nsx_ks_shuto_revival_project_beta_14-8-121-23-34-11.jpg

Screenshot_srp_mazda_rx7_easy_final_spec_ks_red_bull_ring_15-8-121-1-38-31.jpg

Screenshot_srp_mazda_rx7_easy_final_spec_ks_red_bull_ring_15-8-121-0-55-44.jpg

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Shutoko is kinda dormant. The server’s still going and fairly popular I think but there hasn’t been much in the way of track updates

Think it's officially released though, right?

I find it gets a bit boring after 10 minutes just going up and down the highway.

Really enjoying racing in the rain actually, especially night races around Spa and similar circuits.

Trying to drive VR with the rain effects is one of the most taxing things you can do with an Ampere GPU lol

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
This is using a slightly older build from earlier in the year, still looks amazing. Performance has improved since, but driving 90+ frames across two panels is tough, had to compromise on certain things such as shadows, grass, etc.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to drive VR with the rain effects is one of the most taxing things you can do with an Ampere GPU lol

Yeah, I bet!

I think I'm going to put in a pre-order for the Fanatec CSL DD setup that is coming in November. I'm also really tempted by the Heusinkveld pedals with load cell brake setup; I really want that feeling of resistance and pressure in the brake pedal rather than moving a pedal connected to a potentiometer.

(Sorry for the quality - gamepad sucks and my ageing GPU struggles trying to drive AC on ultra settings, ultrawide screen and record at 60fps too!)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's (High Force) a massive improvement over the previous beta release - a lot of work has gone into it. Pretty cool for a freely available free-roam. (y)
Yup looks great.

I did some scans this weekend as I was at Watergate Bay. I have to say I’m massively impressed by the ability of the iPhone LiDAR.

Literally walked along a road pointing the phone to the side. Captured all the details of the walls, buildings etc along the way. Scanned a little of the road too when I got to the end.
4A45D7A8-9F90-42E5-B8BE-5B1258C40F67.jpeg

Impressively, look at how well it captured the change in elevation along the road!

52E4A6AF-04E5-446D-85B9-ACDDDF046D99.jpeg

Scanned smaller stuff too like this wall, obviously a lot easier, and the above was a low res scan (but still over 2GB), but this is a high res scan

572192E7-A57A-4980-B988-DC291FA2E0D8.jpeg

Next up, trying not to look weird whilst scanning a toilet block (it’s really prominent as it’s right ne. Needed a selfie stick for the roof and obviously didn’t hang around on the side where people were coming in and out for obvious reasons, but look at how well it captured it!
127011E6-C128-4592-A06B-9F17A0B1D3CB.jpeg

FEE791E5-3D75-43BA-BF38-F16BE7D6FA0E.jpeg

This was, in total, about 20 minutes of scanning I think. Imagine a whole day of doing it.

Now I just need to git gud at modelling. I can knock stuff in solidworks or AutoCAD for engineering purposes but making game assets, counting polys etc is still alien to me.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Next up, trying not to look weird whilst scanning a toilet block

Careful mate, otherwise you're going to end up on some register or other! :ROFLMAO:

Now I just need to git gud at modelling. I can knock stuff in solidworks or AutoCAD for engineering purposes but making game assets, counting polys etc is still alien to me.

Yeah, that's where the real hard work, graft and tech know-how come into it. There is no quick and easy way of taking that LIDAR data set and converting it into a polygonal representation of the target environment (for rendering and for physics). It's a case of throwing resource at it - i.e. time and suitably skilled people.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK @McGherkin @Silent_Scone - what settings do you guys recommend in Content Manager to improve the background scenery overall? I tend to notice that mine looks quite bland compared to some video clips.

I am limited to running on a GTX 1080 currently - but have the benefit of not using VR and also only outputting to the TV at 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

Any suggestions for settings and features to enable within CM would be most welcome! :)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I don’t even know, truthfully. There isn’t one particular setting beyond draw distance related ones that will help. The engine is so archaic now, basically anything that’s not directly or easily visible around the track is very engine intensive so modders just work with what they can.

Can zip over my preset ini files later. I have separate ones for VR and screenshots

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Err beyond things like Extra FX, the Assetto Corsa video settings for shadow resolutions etc, the only thing I can think of is cranking grassfx but that's probably not what it is.

It's probably a post process filter they're using.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK @McGherkin @Silent_Scone - what settings do you guys recommend in Content Manager to improve the background scenery overall? I tend to notice that mine looks quite bland compared to some video clips.

I am limited to running on a GTX 1080 currently - but have the benefit of not using VR and also only outputting to the TV at 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

Any suggestions for settings and features to enable within CM would be most welcome! :)

As already mentioned by Sir Gurk and Sir Silent, there's not really that much you can do. Personally I just went through the various settings screens and whacked up texture resolutions, particle counts, etc. to try and improve the overall quality and then set the object draw distance to a higher value. I also whacked GrassFX up to max detail with shadowing / occlusion and that made a nice difference. Other than that I just switch between a few different PP filters - SOL, SOL Extra, Photo Realistic and also ensure I download extras that offer nicer (more 'realistic') colours.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Been having a time attack dabble on the Donington 2018 circuit in light of that being the next round of the BTCC.

Jumped in with the RUF Yellowbird and was far too mob-handed with it - especially when the bulk of the boost comes high up the range and is a tail-slapper on anything but having the car arrow straight. Good fun though.

Picked another random car - this time the Mercedes 190E Evo II. That thing is a joy to drive and really quite forgiving. My biggest difficulty was accepting just how good the brakes were - especially when approaching the Fogarty Esses at the end of the Dunlop Straight. Need to leave the braking until much later.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Had a nice relaxing cruise around LA Canyons last night, didn't get all the way around though.

Fired it up today to finish off, and Steam has apparently 'forgotten' that I have Assetto installed. Tried various things, reset my download cache, tried installing again in the same folder, it spends ages 'discovering existing files for Assetto Corsa' so it clearly knew Assetto is already installed.... It's now downloading 40gb of data.

Here we fuckin go.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to fix it. I think it was something to do with python. Whenever it crashed, it was loading apps.

Disabled CSP, that worked. Turned it back on, broken. Disabled python apps, that worked. Fired up IDLE and that seems to have cured it. Why I have no idea.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've been working on a skin for my car club. :p

Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_rsr_2017_ks_nordschleife_6-9-121-23-29-27.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_rsr_2017_ks_nordschleife_6-9-121-23-5-8.jpg

And a little lap of the 'Ring (still on gamepad, sorry sim-racers!) :ROFLMAO: I'm sure YouTube video quality had been degraded further recently. Pfft.