ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST 5100 or Bilstein PSS10?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Can't comment on the AST, but the Bilsteins on my Cup were much more comfortable and compliant than the OE setup. It felt like part of the road, rather than perched on top of it, bouncing along.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I had PSS10s on my Mini GP and they’re a decent damper to be honest.
Not used AST on a Clio but used them on an Impreza and to be honest I was never that blown away by them. I think they’re much of a muchness to be honestly.

Best sensible priced dampers I’ve ever used are KW Clubsports. The KWs knock both the above out of the park in terms of build quality, ride quality, and actual feel when adjusting them. One click on the Clubsports you could actually feel a difference in the chassis response. Ride was compliant and cornering was so nicely controlled.

Add to that they’re stainless bodies so again a different league of corrosion resistance.

Assuming they’re available for your application. I wouldn’t look at the others.

Those bilsteins look very nice. If your up for spending that then I doubt youd be disapointed. Though Im not sure Id get something like that for fast road, Im sure they'd come into their own setup more for track with a stiffer spring.

Asts on mine and think they're superb. All theyd need is a lower spring rate to make it daily friendly, even though Ive driven many road miles on mine 9kg front 11kg rear, it can be tiring after a while, fine on the motorway though

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I had PSS10s on my Mini GP and they’re a decent damper to be honest.
Not used AST on a Clio but used them on an Impreza and to be honest I was never that blown away by them. I think they’re much of a muchness to be honestly.

Best sensible priced dampers I’ve ever used are KW Clubsports. The KWs knock both the above out of the park in terms of build quality, ride quality, and actual feel when adjusting them. One click on the Clubsports you could actually feel a difference in the chassis response. Ride was compliant and cornering was so nicely controlled.

Add to that they’re stainless bodies so again a different league of corrosion resistance.

Assuming they’re available for your application. I wouldn’t look at the others.
The corrosion resistance is of interest, as the car is used as a daily as well, but they don't seem to make Clubsports for 1*2's. (Might send off an email for a quote)
Been looking into gaiters to keep dirt off, but reckon they'd keep moisture in for too long?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Those bilsteins look very nice. If your up for spending that then I doubt youd be disapointed. Though Im not sure Id get something like that for fast road, Im sure they'd come into their own setup more for track with a stiffer spring.

Asts on mine and think they're superb. All theyd need is a lower spring rate to make it daily friendly, even though Ive driven many road miles on mine 9kg front 11kg rear, it can be tiring after a while, fine on the motorway though

Thanks for the input!
I know they are overkill for my car, but more is better right?
So overkill is best....😈
Spring wise I'd go for something like 80Nm fronts and I am intrigued by the dual/progressive (48N /65N) rate Pure do for the B14 set, seems like a good compromise (they told me they could do that spring for the rear too)

Running 60/40 atm and still have all my fillings!

Properly designed gaiters on high-end OEM dampers have a small hole at the lowest point to: let water out, let cold air in, let hot air out & stop it acting like an airspring ;)

Imagine most aftermarket/motorsport stuff doesn’t give much thought to dirt though.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What's the latest view on the PSS10's now that they have been out for a while?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
really really love'm, went for 80/60 and they do seem to 'round' bumps off nicely.
compared to other road users, cornering is even better now than it was (RCK also fitted)
but the most mind blowing improvement lately has come from the Pure sump protection plate, just a sheet of aluminium, but wow what a difference it makes to front end stiffness. Car feels even more precise now.