ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astra VXR

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Engines are s**t, gearboxes are s**t, handling is s**t

Quick in a straight line though, when they work. One of my mates had a stage 2 one with a piper exhaust, sounded nuts through the gears for an Astra

Why is it a s**t engine? Handling's not the best but certainly no worse than a Ibiza..;)

My mate's had his for years. Drives like a c**t and it's taken all the abuse he can throw at it. Yeah they're not the best, most focused car and they look like a 1990's max power project but theyre not as bad as anyone on here makes out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Quick in a straight line though, when they work. One of my mates had a stage 2 one with a piper exhaust, sounded nuts through the gears for an Astra

The gearboxes are "ok" and the engines actually have quite a lot of potential.

Handling I dont know I would go as far as to call it sh1t, but certainly not the best either.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The gearboxes are "ok" and the engines actually have quite a lot of potential.

Handling I dont know I would go as far as to call it sh1t, but certainly not the best either.

Exactly. I'd love to know how people on here drive on the open road. Anyone would think theyre dangerous. For the average Joe they are absolutely fine and wouldnt notice theyre "poor handling" tbh. I know there's people on here who can drive but tbh they wouldnt look twice at one which i can understand.

I'd say if your intrigued by one, try one and make your own mind up.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a blunt instrument when compared to an RS Megane or FRS.

They're thoroughly average as standard, driven plenty in my time. With all the bolt-on bits thrown at them they become pretty handy.

Best mod by far is the Quaife ATB.

Can't argue against the image though, chavwagon of high order!

Last edited:
I owned one with Bilstein suspension, LSD, uprated anti roll bars, vibratechnics engine mounts, 17x9 wheels, focused geo, stripped out with a rear cage circa 1220kg's, alcon calipers, 300bhp.

Makes the Clio 200 I now own seem pathetically slow and incapable in the handling department.

Seriously underated cars IMO!

Evo 5 RS
If they were underrated you wouldn't of spent the best park of 10k on it so that it could go round a corner without being drawn to the shrubbery. Under rated would imply they go under the radar and that they're a 'better' car. But they're not. You might as well have spent that money on a Megane.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Gearbox bearings seem like they are made of chocolate. I ruined my M32 box, although it did have 330+ ft lbs going through it.

The cars are not as bad as everyone makes out though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gearbox bearings seem like they are made of chocolate. I ruined my M32 box, although it did have 330+ ft lbs going through it.

The cars are not as bad as everyone makes out though.

The M32 box is as good as most other 2 litre turbo 6 speed FWD boxes TBH mate, nothing fundamentally wrong with it, you'd have similar problems with a megane one.

Ironically the F23 5 speed seems to be a litle stronger, 500bhp in mine with no drama at all although its not a high mileage car.

If they were underrated you wouldn't of spent the best park of 10k on it so that it could go round a corner without being drawn to the shrubbery. Under rated would imply they go under the radar and that they're a 'better' car. But they're not. You might as well have spent that money on a Megane.

LOL, Fit a diff £600, Whiteline RARB £150 And it's more capable than the old 225 that's for sure.

Don't know where 10k came from either.

Friend owns a 172 and I can't understand where their high praise comes from. Civic Type R is a much better car for similair money.

Only thing I would be highly critical of the VXR for was it's driving possition.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Friend owns a 172 and I can't understand where they're high praise comes from. Civic Type R is a much better car for similair money.

I've had an EP3 and 172 Cup, for smiles the 172 wins, for quality CTR wins.

+1 on Whiteline RARB. Where was your cage from? Not Marc Elsworth's old car was it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL, Fit a diff £600, Whiteline RARB £150 And it's more capable than the old 225 that's for sure.

Friend owns a 172 and I can't understand where they're high praise comes from. Civic Type R is a much better car for similair money.

Only thing I would be highly critical of the VXR for was it's driving possition.

A well maintained 172 is a fantastic handling car, but most of them arent anymore IME.

Ive got a snotty cheap one I use as a spare daily at the moment, its horrible and vague, by comparison the mrs one although almost totally standard (cup shocks and some eibach springs) is a compeltely different car just because all the joints and bushes etc are new, it really does make a huge difference.

So dont judge the breed from a couple of poor examples is my advice.

Evo 5 RS

Friend owns a 172 and I can't understand where their high praise comes from. Civic Type R is a much better car for similair money.

Yeah thanks but I don't think we're talking about Type R's, we're talking about 250bhp shitboxes that need upgrading to stick with Clio's.

Yeah thanks but I don't think we're talking about Type R's, we're talking about 250bhp s**tboxes that need upgrading to stick with Clio's.

Not in my experience. Did many trackdays at crappy Bedford Airfield (seems to be the home of 172 owners) and never had any issues getting past a 172 when the car was standard.

Evo 5 RS
You mean when it wasn't a Megane replica lol. Thought you were talking about 200s earlier, not sure I mentioned 172s.

Nope, I didn't.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Haha dont go bringing the CTR Vs 1*2 debate. To be fair i loved my 182 and hated my CTR and sold it in a week..

All i'm saying is i already had in my head that a VXR is a s**t drive. When i drove my mates for a day to day drive i thought it was fine.

Evo 5 RS
And in English that means?

It means you're straying off topic. I didn't mention 172s, you said your Astra made a 200 feel incapable. Then you started talking about getting past 172s at Bedford and how it out handles a 225.

So back to my original point. You should of bought a Megane.

It means you're straying off topic. I didn't mention 172s, you said your Astra made a 200 feel incapable. Then you started talking about getting past 172s at Bedford and how it out handles a 225.

So back to my original point. You should of bought a Megane.

Sorry can't decipher your twisted logic. Or "point"??

The topic is Astra VXR's.............

Evo 5 RS
Is that why you went on a rant about Civic Type Rs?

Are you a few pies short of a full tray? Because you're making me cry

Trophy #490

I agree with this completely, especially the gearbox part. It's a shame really as I think they look great, particularly the Nurburgring Edition. I drove one back to back with the 2012 VXR and the difference is huge; the new one's such an improvement in every department.

I just couldn't recommend one over any of its rivals.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would be interested to know in what way people think the Z20LEH engine is inferior to the F4RT tbh. As i really cant see it myself.

vaux do make good engines at a RR day i was at about 2weeks ago a astra gsi z20let made 475bhp.. as for VXR's handling i had a play with 1 on my way to work 1 day and he had a rear arb fitted and that thing went through the roundabouts just aswell as my cup which i was shocked about due to the size of them

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Also their engine codes actually make far sense than all this nonsense from renault with an R for 2.0 and a P for 1.8 etc

vauxhall:
Z = emissions standard conformed to
20 = 2.0 litres
L = low compression
E = elctronic fuel injection
T = turbo

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
The M32 box is as good as most other 2 litre turbo 6 speed FWD boxes TBH mate, nothing fundamentally wrong with it, you'd have similar problems with a megane one.

Ironically the F23 5 speed seems to be a litle stronger, 500bhp in mine with no drama at all although its not a high mileage car.

The F40 is apparently stronger too isn't it? I wanted to fit that to my Punto instead of the M32 again but after some research it was going to be some hassle and cost a wack more than my refurbed M32 set me back.

Hang on. Were we comparing the handling and speed of a stripped-out, caged, highly modified Astra VXR, with a Clio 200? I bet he has over a hundred grand under the hood of that car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The F40 is apparently stronger too isn't it? I wanted to fit that to my Punto instead of the M32 again but after some research it was going to be some hassle and cost a wack more than my refurbed M32 set me back.

Yeah the F40 is a pretty epic box TBH, heavy though!

Clio 182
I had a stage 2 VXR not too long ago. Handled well with eibachs and a whiteline rarb in my opinion but not half as fun as the clio to drive.
Torque steer can be an issue especially with a few engine mods. My gearbox bearings however failed and its a serious problem with the M32 box. Just head over to vxronline and you'll see for yourself. Was expensive to run, especially with tyres but when driving the 30 mile commute to work i was managing 38mpg driving sensibly.
heres a cheeky pic of mine and a mates burg:

6825345b.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I do like the Pro Race 1.2's on Astra's.

The Astra 888 seems like a decent piece of kit although seem to hold their value well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lack of gearbox oil changes makes the bearing problem worse Ian. So many people tune their engine while still on 60k mile old box oil and don't bother to change it. Then start moaning on a forum the box is rubbish. Lol. Half the time with vauxhalls the problem is the owners not the cars. Just like clios!
Even when people have to change the oil to fit a diff they put any old rubbish back in it.

Evo 5 RS
My 1.6 Ecotech vectra is the most reliable thing I've ever used lol. Ive had it a year and all I've done is change the oil, top it up now and again (100k),fixed the exhaust and done the brakes. Trouble free motoring

Clio 182
Lack of gearbox oil changes makes the bearing problem worse Ian. So many people tune their engine while still on 60k mile old box oil and don't bother to change it. Then start moaning on a forum the box is rubbish. Lol. Half the time with vauxhalls the problem is the owners not the cars. Just like clios!
Even when people have to change the oil to fit a diff they put any old rubbish back in it.

yeah i fully appreciate that but numerous amount of 'standard' cars have had issue at stupidly low mileage. Luckily for some members it was changed under dealer warranty. But buying a car and having the gearbox start to whine at 19k takes the piss imo.

I changed mine at every service with the oil courtenay sport recommended but they still failed.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yeah i fully appreciate that but numerous amount of 'standard' cars have had issue at stupidly low mileage. Luckily for some members it was changed under dealer warranty. But buying a car and having the gearbox start to whine at 19k takes the piss imo.

I changed mine at every service with the oil courtenay sport recommended but they still failed.

Thats no different to the meganes and even clio 200s really though from what I hear.

As modern FWD cars start to get heavier and more powerful and with better suspension geometry etc improving grip the gearboxes are starting to show up as the weak link in the chain for a lot of makes

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've always liked the look of these to be honest, especially in arden blue. Engine is very tunable! They need a diff big time IMO & I'm not keen on the gearbox characteristics. The dash is the work of the devil as well, it really is pony!

Hardly a bad car tho, I wouldn't mind one.