ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astronomy / laser p**n

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I wonder how they operate around flight paths. People get bollocked for firing laser pens at the sky at night for fear of blinding pilots.

That's not even considering the space ships which will be crashing left right and centre due to having their retinas burnt.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
They say its for faking stars but anyone who has ever watched Star Wars will know what they are really doing is creating a death star cannon.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Why the need to fake stars?
All they need to do is create weather machines to remove all of the clouds...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yer but why lol

oh come on, if you don't understand this your just fick

The 4LGSF is part of a next-generation adaptive optics system, the Adaptive Optics Facility (AOF), that will make the VLT’s 4th Unit Telescope Yepun a fully adaptive telescope in 2013. Composed of four powerful 20-watt lasers, the 4LGSF will help the VLT correct the image distortion caused by turbulence in the air.

Telescopes usually collect light coming from the sky and focus it into an instrument. However, the new components send light in the opposite direction. These “launchers”, are used to project the lasers into the sky to create brilliant points of light. The laser beams excite a layer of sodium atoms at an altitude of 90 kilometres in the atmosphere and make them glow. These glowing spots act as an artificial guide star which can be positioned at will in the sky, so astronomers are not restricted to observations close to a sufficiently bright natural guide star.

With four such artificial stars, the 4LGSF will be able to dramatically improve sharpness [1] across the wide field of the VLT’s near-infrared camera HAWK-I. Single laser systems, although providing excellent image quality, are restricted to much smaller fields of view

The first such system on the VLT was installed just over ten years ago. In early 2006, the technology was improved with the first use of a laser guide star at the VLT.

basic stuff right ;)

https://www.tno.nl/vlt4lgsf/

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
@andy_con last year at We Are, what stage/acts did you do lasers for?

none, my son was born on that weekend so I had to miss it :(
I'm currently in talks with the wife about this years festival and my sons first birthday.

but both outdoor stages were done by the people I help last year

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah, that was selfish of him! The festival was amazing, as were the lasers, especially for Steve Angello/Knife party. Sad to not be going this year.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ah, that was selfish of him! The festival was amazing, as were the lasers, especially for Steve Angello/Knife party. Sad to not be going this year.
yeah they did steve and knife party

I was there the first and second year, I was on stage with fat boy slim faffing around

DSC_1051Large_zpsa187792f.jpg

DSC_1034Large_zps530b5f42.jpg

DSC_6518Large_zps1dad909b.jpg