ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi Ownership Y Oh Y

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
How do,

Over the last 3 weeks, myself and my partner have been looking for a replacement for her Civic, which was starting to cost her more money than it is worth. So enough is enough, we started looking at cars and an A3 tickled her fancy. Budget was £6k at first, however trying to find a decent spec car that has been looked after that has sub 100k is few and far between, so we upped the budget to £7.5k and better cars popped up.

After trawling eBay, Pistonheads and AutoTrader we had found ourselves with a decent list of potential cars, we travelled to Macclesfield to have a look at one there, the garage wanted top dollar for a car that wasn't up to standard. Likewise we looked at what appeared to be a lovely Ibis White 'BE' in Stockton-on-Tees (We live in Sale - Greater Manchester). The car was "Doctor Owned" (I'm not actually sure what that even means, we know a few and they don't look after their cars) and looked great in the photos, so we decided we'd go and have a look with the intention of buying it there an then and coming home in it, with us travelling so far. We arrived and the car was out in the forecourt, it looked spot on from about 10ft away. Closer inspection revealed all 4 wheels had been "refurbished" by Stevie Wonder, the previous owners private plate was still on the car (bearing in mind it's now registered to a Lexus), arm rest knackered (turns out this is the A3's bread and butter), interior was marked with the headlining being torn in the boot area and a rip in the leather on the back bench and that isn't the worst of it. We took the car for a test drive irrespectively seeing as we'd travelled so far for what I'd class as a nail and upon firing the car up I knew straight away it was a money pit seeing as the flywheel was letting me know it wasn't happy through the clutch pedal. We went out for 10 minutes and looked the car over one last time and spotted the sill wasn't right on the NSF, it bulged out and was smooth and after closer inspection it had taken a hit and repaired badly. After returning to the dealership we got the usual dealer patter of "well it's a 10 year old car, you have to expect marks", fair comment and I know this however I don't expect a nail at top whack. So we jumped back in the car and made our way home (yay!), tried to look at a Black A3 with a 'pano' roof an nav in Shipley on our way back, but he let us down when we were about 15 minutes away after knowing we were coming, tw@.

2 days later my partner came to me all excited "found one", had a look at it and it was a lovely Ibis White Black Edition, 79k, full service history, 1 owner from new and it looked mint inside and out. So that night we headed to Burnley (about 40mins away) to have a look at it while the dealer was closed. Car looked fantastic, missing PDC but not a problem (it was a requirement, but not imperative), wheels were good etc you get the picture. The following day I rang up the dealer and arranged a viewing that day. Viewed the car and took it for a test drive, no issues other than the ABS light coming on to the horror of the dealership owner. So he said to take it to a garage around the corner from the dealership and they diagnosed it being an ABS sensor, no biggy in the grand scheme of things considering the history of the car and it's condition. We got back and discussed the price and getting the sensor sorted and a deal was done.

We picked the car up 4 days later, sensor sorted with a rear bearing to boot. Car looked great following it down the motorway and the misses was absolutely made up with it.

audi-a3-jpg.jpg

Anyway, this weekend I got my hands on it for a proper clean and a chance to fix a couple of issues like arm rest latch, missing badge off the 2nd key and new genuine bolt caps as they were knackered from hand wash wheel acid at a guess.

Got some pictures last night.

20210605_220650-1-jpg.jpg

20210605_220807-jpg.jpg

20210605_220943-jpg.jpg

20210605_221134-jpg.jpg

20210605_221216-jpg.jpg

20210605_221245-jpg.jpg

20210606_185552-jpg.jpg

Plans are;
  • Replace tyres with Michelin PS4's as there are 3 Hankooks, 1 is fitted the wrong way round, 1 is at about 3mm and the other is fine. the 4th tyre is a ditch finder. Thankfully Costco are doing a deal on the PS4's at the moment.
  • Spacers.
  • New centre caps.
  • New Brake Disc covers front and back.
  • Android Auto/Apple Carplay head unit that will work with the BOSE.
Could really do with some advice or even recommendations for head unit's as I haven't a clue, so any help would be appreciated.

Sorry about the long winded post guys.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
I replaced that headhunit in my 2010 TT RS with a Alpine Nav unit in 2011 or so, Looking to upgrade it again one of these days to a car play unit. Mostly plug and play, needed a new mike and steering controls.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
90% of those locations you visited are on my red list of buying cars.

Car looks great though, I think audis make great daily’s.

Well I hope Halifax is on that list also, we got pipped to a White one there by a spotty teenager with a f**king man bag. Dealer of that car gave us 'sound' advice, "make sure the timing belts done and don't by from **p-bomb**'s"... fantastic, well that's great consumer advice there FACEPALM. Bradford was on my avoid list as should have been Shipley mind but it was on our way home from Stockton, what's another wasted journey if it's one the way back from one.

Lol at red list.

Car looks good. What's the costco deal?.

£399 for 4 and you get £80 off.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Looks in good condition.

I changed the head unit in my old S3 for a carplay unit that worked with BOSE, was pretty straightforward. I got one from here https://xtrons.co.uk/audi/audi-a3-s3-rs3-android-car-stereo
They are a bit temperamental at time being Chinese, but cheaper than the Halfords branded alternatives.
Thanks, I did initially look at them but I know they can make the alternator whine and I don't mind spending the money for a really good unit hassle free. I'll have a nosey on their page though.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Thanks, I did initially look at them but I know they can make the alternator whine and I don't mind spending the money for a really good unit hassle free. I'll have a nosey on their page though.
Yeah mine suffered from that initially, I just added some suppressors to the wiring and the alternator whine disappeared.

The branded ones are probably better tbh, I just didn't like that they didn't look as OEM.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Yeah mine suffered from that initially, I just added some suppressors to the wiring and the alternator whine disappeared.

The branded ones are probably better tbh, I just didn't like that they didn't look as OEM.
Well we nearly got the OEM MII system with all the latest maps but thought a Android Auto system would be better for streaming etc.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
These have aged really well IMO, more so when clean and have decent wheels - stick a private reg on there and people wouldn't think its 9 years old.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
These have aged really well IMO, more so when clean and have decent wheels - stick a private reg on there and people wouldn't think its 9 years old.
Been looking for one, however Emma is the most popular name in the UK it seems ha ha ha

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I hate Audi’s with a passion. I think they’re s**t.

however, my wife had a very similar car to the one you’ve purchased and I have to say it was a brilliant thing. Big enough in the back for 3 kids seats, did 50+mpg all day every day, really comfy and £20 a year tax. Went ok too really for what it was.

good work sir! 👍

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

however, my wife had a very similar car to the one you’ve purchased and I have to say it was a brilliant thing. Big enough in the back for 3 kids seats, did 50+mpg all day every day, really comfy and £20 a year tax. Went ok too really for what it was.

good work sir! 👍
Well I'm taking that praise from a car wheeler dealer, I must admit for what it's worth it s***s all over her 1.4 Civic. That thing couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Looking at the exact same thing for the missus, definitely look best in white. Will say though, I also think roof racks make them look a lot better! Weird thing to say perhaps but just complete the car in my opinion... pain in the arse to retrofit though.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I also think roof racks make them look a lot better!
Understandable from an Astra VXR owner... ;), seriously though, I can't agree. They don't look odd with them but imagine putting roof rails on a 120d or 140i, just looks odd.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I’ve had Audis in the past and despite the image of them being driven by morons, they’re actually quite good. Build quality is poor for what is marketed as a premium brand but they’re nice to drive. Very spec dependent though, buy a base model and they’re awful

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

good work sir! 👍
I'm liking the 'Audi' and 'Y Oh Y' being used together in the thread header!

Not for me - but if your missus is chuffed with it, that's the main thing. My driving history with Audis is that they do a lot of things good. Just very rarely anything great or special.

It's easy to appreciate why they are popular though.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I'm liking the 'Audi' and 'Y Oh Y' being used together in the thread header!

Not for me - but if your missus is chuffed with it, that's the main thing. My driving history with Audis is that they do a lot of things good. Just very rarely anything great or special.

It's easy to appreciate why they are popular though.
Love a play on words ha ha ha.

Yeah wouldn't be my first choice, BMW selections was toss well unless we wanted it to look ancient. I would have had her in something better but she's had an A3 before and liked how it drove and it's luxurious compared to her Honda Civic FN.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Looks like I'll be going for the Kenwood DMX(gone give it to ya)8020DABS 7".

20_DMX8020DABS_L_GUI_AA.jpg

Looks like a decent bit of kit, it's won Auto Extress's product awards (oooo - ahhhh). But christ the kit you need to fix it £100 spondoolies, I've forgotten how expensive this audio game is.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Understandable from an Astra VXR owner... ;), seriously though, I can't agree. They don't look odd with them but imagine putting roof rails on a 120d or 140i, just looks odd.

I don't expect many people to agree :LOL: I just saw one when browsing and thought yeah that's the one... I think it's because it makes it look like a mini estate. I'm probably just still bitter that the missus won't let me buy her an estate car for our family duties.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I don't expect many people to agree :LOL: I just saw one when browsing and thought yeah that's the one... I think it's because it makes it look like a mini estate. I'm probably just still bitter that the missus won't let me buy her an estate car for our family duties.
Oh my misses is fully behind the estate idea, but it has to be an RS6 ha ha ha. Yeah no worries love.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Actually I showed her the purple (being her favourite colour) RS6 that was on DCG, and said wouldn't you even have that!? And she said, well, if it was free...

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
So today got Michelin PS4's fitted at a local garage via Black Circles (£350 fitted), which I thought was decent. Also got some new bits for it over the last week, two jack pucks and front and rear brake disc dust covers. The originals look tired and rusty so they are a nice inexpensive item to swap out and I'll probably paint the calipers Black also.

20210613_192116-jpg.jpg

20210613_192302-jpg.jpg