ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audio Help..

Hi guys.

I have recently put in an Alpine PDX 600 in my car to run my pioneer sub [325rms].
I have noticed that the lights dim quite badly, i know the first thing to do is to upgrade the big three.. and also my battery [Its not very powerful]

There's a few things id like to know:
I want to install another amp in the near future so im going with the PDX 4.150 to power my components.. + my PDX 600 which is running on 4awg Cable.
What battery would you recommend ?
Also what size big three should i go for ?
Could i run both amps of 4awg with a distro ?

Im not going for spl here im going for sq...

Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for questions im used to installing in theatre's not cars lol

Better than yours. C*nt.
What motor you got? Maybe worth swapping to a bigger alt as there's only so much juice the original paper french one can give.

vaux cavalier
Firstly;

The 'Big Three'....

1, Alternator....
2, Battery....
3, Charge Circuit Wiring....

The 'Kiddies Big Three'....

1, Battery to Chassis Earth.... You must add an earth that is at least equal in size to any new power cable.... 4awg power = adding 4awg battery earth....

2, Alternator Earth Cable.... Most alternators earth via the engine/gearbox earth straps, again either upgrade or add to them....

3, Alternator to Battery Charge Lead.... Upgrade to suit above....

Obviously when undertaking the upgrade known as 'The Big Three' upgrading the charge circuit wiring yields decent benefits, if not upgrading the alternator the benefits will be minimal....

I would recommend you install the largest cable your ever likely to need, so if future upgrades are possible, go 0awg to save buying twice....

In basic terms, you can add the onboard fuse ratings of each amplifier together to give an idea of the max draw your ever likely to acheive.... This figure, plus the distance between battery & amps, will denote what cable you should opt for.... The cable you decide on, will in turn, denote what fuse you require at the battery....

Assuming cable run is 4mtrs;

Upto 40amps = 8awg
Upto 80amps = 4awg
Upto 250amps = 0awg, (Plus a second battery lol)

The above figures are based on performance, the cables will carry more current, but voltage would suffer markedly....

You must remember that its a circuit, so a restriction in any part will limit the entire circuit....

Have you fitted a 4awg battery to chassis earth to match your current 4awg audio supply ???? If not, then I would suggest you sart here asap....

Cheers guys
havent done the earth yet as im waiting on some 0 guage cable to do it..
Have you got any pics of the big three done ?
How easy is it to do ?
And have you fused the alt charge cable ?

Zak