ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto Express Greatest Drives

In this weeks Auto Express they rate their top 20 drivers cars with a run round Anglesey. Megane 225 Trophy came 16th, Clio 182 Cup 13th, Cooper S Works 6th, Fiesta ST150 5th (?), Golf GTi 1st. Clio lost out due to the driving position knocking it down the final order.

However, round the track the Megane was 8th quickest with the Clio 14th. The Fiesta was 16th and the Mini 17th

No Civic. Golf 1st, then Boxster, 350Z, 911CS, Fiesta ST, Mini CSW, Sagaris, M5, Evo 9,Impreza STiPPP, 330i, Monaro VXR, Clio 13th, Audi TT Sport, CLS55 AMG, Megane 16th, Focus TDCi, Skoda vRS Superchipped to 160bhp, C2 VTS and in 20th the Cadillac CTS

Round the track the quickest was the Evo 9, then the 911, TVR, Impreza, Boxster, M5, 350Z then the Megane, TT, CLS, Golf GTi, Cadillac (!), Monaro, Clio, 330i, Fiesta, Mini, C2, Fabia and last the Focus

The Jinx

I suggest that AutoCack learn how to drive if they put the Golf ahead of a Boxster. And half of the rest of the cars.

Or was this greatest drives......to the supermarket for the weeks shopping?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The Boxster (not s) was quicker round the track than the new M5??? That M5 is Ferrari quick according the last weeks Autocar!

If the standard Boxster is quicker than the new M5 then the Boxster S on its way to my mum should be pretty quick! Cool!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Got to remember its Anglesey. No room for a fast car to really stretch its legs. Im surprised the Clio didnt do better to be honest.

Funny how different magazines rate different cars! Its even stranger how different countrys rate different cars. For instance in France the motoring press (hardcore sport car mags) dont rate cars such as the cooper s, new golf gti, fiesta 150, Leon cupra R etc, etc. In fact in a recent shoot out of the Megane Trophy, CTR, Cupra R and Gold GTI the CTR won hands down, the Golf finishing last over all. Ive also noticed that they dont test cars against each other from different classes. So you will never see the Clio up against the CTR etc, its always agaisnt the likes of the Mini or the 180 GTI, same class of car. Opinions, opinions.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 22 June 2005

Got to remember its Anglesey. No room for a fast car to really stretch its legs. Im surprised the Clio didnt do better to be honest.

I would have thought the M5 would be quicker than the boxter on any road. The performance figures are immense, 0-150 in 15 secs!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by markCTR on 22 June 2005

Funny how different magazines rate different cars! Its even stranger how different countrys rate different cars. For instance in France the motoring press (hardcore sport car mags) dont rate cars such as the cooper s, new golf gti, fiesta 150, Leon cupra R etc, etc. In fact in a recent shoot out of the Megane Trophy, CTR, Cupra R and Gold GTI the CTR won hands down, the Golf finishing last over all. Ive also noticed that they dont test cars against each other from different classes. So you will never see the Clio up against the CTR etc, its always agaisnt the likes of the Mini or the 180 GTI, same class of car. Opinions, opinions.

Seriously though...what do the French know?! ;)

CTR

Is it just me who thought that the Cooper S Works was supposed to be fecking quick?! Thought the standard Cooper S was only a couple of tenths slower than the full fat 182, so assumed that the Works was faster. And certainly a lot faster than the Fiesta ST - think the book 0-60 of those is about 8.1s.

CTR

Quote: Originally posted by r-jay on 22 June 2005

Just picked up the mag, not sure what the appeal off the Festa ST is?
I actually quite like the look of the Fiesta ST (17" wheels, aggressive styling for a small car) and test drove one when I was looking around a couple of months ago, but it just felt so much slower than the 182 I test drove.

Think theyre a bit cheaper than a 182 and a few insurance groups lower, but having driven both Im not sure what other reasons people could have for choosing the Fiesta!

tiTTy & SV650

seems fair the driving position does suck, shame reno didnt sort it out after research / feedback from the 172.

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by stu182 on 22 June 2005

Is it just me who thought that the Cooper S Works was supposed to be fecking quick?! Thought the standard Cooper S was only a couple of tenths slower than the full fat 182, so assumed that the Works was faster. And certainly a lot faster than the Fiesta ST - think the book 0-60 of those is about 8.1s.

std cooper s are NOT quick, although very nice to drive still look rather camp imo...

0-100 in 21 seconds, i could run faster than that!

[Edited by homerjay on 22 June 2005 at 2:36pm]

CTR

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 22 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by stu182 on 22 June 2005

std cooper s are NOT quick, although very nice to drive still look rather camp imo...

0-100 in 21 seconds, i could run faster than that!

[Edited by homerjay on 22 June 2005 at 2:36pm]
:confused: The WhatCar website reckons the standard Cooper S has 0-60 of 7.2s (ie. only 0.1s slower than the 182) - I know that good 0-60 times dont necessarily translate into good track times etc, but surely its still pretty quick?!

Admittedly Ive only just upgraded to a 182 after 3 years in an Astra, so my ideas of fast and slow may have been distorted by spending 3 years in such an average car! :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 22 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by markCTR on 22 June 2005

Seriously though...what do the French know?! ;)

:D Good to see somethngs never change. Good old Autocack, one minute your car is the best thing since sliced bread, the next issue its shat! Christ Ive never seen a good review for the Fiesta in this country or the UK. Must be getting back handers from Ford this issue. Makes a change from BMW:eek: