ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed 2010 Race Season Review

172 Race Car
2010 Season Review

Over the winter of 09/10 we built a Clio 172 Phase 1 race car to compete in the CSCC Tintops series.

0065.jpg

The races are 40mins in length with a mandatory pit stop. We had many ups and downs during the build but by mid February we ready enough to do some testing.

We booked a trackday at Bedford but the track was snowed under when we arrived.

We didn't get a chance to do the official series test day or the first race meeting at Snetterton. Our first race would be at Brands Hatch, on the 9th of May. We desperately needed to get some laps on the car to make sure everything was ok, so went along to the Spring Action day at Castle Combe. Not ideal testing for the car but the best we could do

shapeimage_4.png

We both managed 2 runs and were reasonably happy with the car but 2 alternator failures ended our day early. A brand new alternator and a bigger battery were fitted. We also improved the cooling to the alternator ready for Brands hatch, Our first race meeting.

The day was cloudy and cold but remained dry. Tony went out to qualify first and instantly found the new tyres we had fitted had drastically affected the handling. Causing massive understeer. 5 laps into his run he ran wide at the last corner and understeered into the gravel. We were out of qualifying and that left us 20th on the grid. It was a rush to get me into the race as I had not completed the mandatory 3 laps to qualify. The car was checked over and cleared of gravel for me to do the required laps behind the safety car during a break

shapeimage_5.png

The race was fun. Tony started and made a few places up before we decided to pit mid race as the safety car came out. It was a bad call as we lost a lap being held at the pitlane exit. We were pleased to make the finish of the race, the car didn't miss a beat but the setup needed some big changes to suit the new tyres. 18th place at the end was a start.

shapeimage_6.png

2 weeks later we made the long trip to Anglesey, North Wales for our next race. We arrived on Friday lunch time and spent the afternoon testing, Tony doing the driving and me making the adjustments. We improved the car setup and dropped the lap times considerably. Later that evening we walked the track so I could learn the layout from Tony. We were much more prepared than before.

4210.jpg

The next morning, practice went well and we qualified 5th, the car felt great. We had a slightly different strategy for the race as we planned to pit as late as possible. Tony was up to 2nd when we pitted and I rejoined in the race in 3rd. 29 mins gone, not far from the 2nd placed car. After a fight with him I tried to fend off the car behind but lost out up the hill so we finished 4th. A great result.

4545.jpg

Oulton Park was our next race but we were unsure what to expect as we had to change to a different type of tyre. The type we had set the car up for were no longer available. In practice the car was lethal. Massive oversteer. Not helped by a leaking coolant hose. We only competed 7 laps between us but qualified 8th. We made a setup change for the race and it helped a little. It was an uneventful 40 mins, apart from a broken alternator casing and we came home 7th.

269.jpg
246.jpg

During the summer, the racing club were off to Spa in Belgium and Cadwell Park, 2 rounds we had decided to miss, so we had a long break to make some changes to the car. We did the Renaultsport trackday at Silverstone to give some of our friends and sponsors a ride and the car felt much better than at the last race. We were looking forward to racing again.

7604.jpg
7437.jpg

Mallory Park was our next circuit and after a wet/dry qualifying, we ended up 5th on the grid. It wasn't all plain sailing as we suffered yet another alternator failure. A replacement regulator didn't last either, and 10 laps into the race the battery light came on again. There was nothing we could do but hope the battery had enough charge to get us to the finish. It didn't and whilst in a strong 2nd place, with 3 laps to go, the car lost power. We crossed the line 6th. Gutted!

8951.jpg
9370.jpg

Less than a week later and with a brand new alternator fitted, we travelled the short distance to our home circuit, Silverstone. The car didn't feel as well balanced as it had at Mallory and we finished the practice session 8th on the grid. Right in the middle of a very close group. Tony started the race and had a big battle with one of the MG's, but managed to break away before our stop. We messed up the driver change but I still exited the pits ahead of the MG. A lap later the throttle cable snapped. Our first DNF.

9911.jpg
9951.jpg

Our last race meeting of the year was at Snetterton. It was to be a double header with 2 races on the same day. A steady run in qualifying saw us 12th on the grid and I took the start. Holding the car on the clutch too long made for a really bad getaway and I dropped to 17th place. 3 laps later whilst making a little progress through the field, I made a mistake and ended off the circuit. As I came back on I was tagged from behind and had to pit with damage to the drivers side rear arch. We rejoined 4 laps down and eventually came home in 14th place

969.jpg

Race 2 was a rolling start and it was Tonys turn to take the first stint. He was quickly up into the top 10 and going very well. He was involved in a big scrap with a Fiesta and once that had peeled off into the pits, we left him out there on a clear track and pitted late. I rejoined 7th just ahead of the Fiesta but the car wasn't well. There as a loud clunk every time I slowed down and a lap later I missed my braking point for turn 2. The Fiesta got by and I decided to get the car to the finish. The noise was getting worse and there was a lot of engine vibration. 8th place at the end was quite a good result. The cause of the noise turned out to be a broken engine mount.

1188.jpg

So the end of our first season and we have enjoyed it. We have been developing and learning about the car all year and know what areas we need to improve. We have some plans and testing to do over the winter. Hopefully we can start next year from a better base.

A massive thank you to all our sponsors. We couldn't of done it without you all.
1st Call Auto Rental, Banbury Heating Supplies, Stealthsport, Iseki Compact Tractors and Colshe Motor Company.

Thanks to Curtis at AST for putting up with the constant phone calls and questions.
Matt at Tour-De-Force Power Engineering for the many hours and late nights calibrating.
ATS Banbury for all the tyre fitting, Ady at N2Grafix for the excellent service and Cherwell Edge Golf Club for their support.

And finally a big thanks to everyone who has helped us at the meetings this season. Bomber, Mike, Dan, Aaron, Keith, Andy, Photographer Dan and Matt.

See you in 2011

172 Race Car
Season Stats

Best Qualifying: 5th, Anglesey/Mallory

Best finish: 4th, Anglesey

DNF's: x1

Hours On Track: 13.5

Quickest Pitstop: 18 seconds, Mallory Park

Racing Laps: 194

Dead Alternators: x5

Off Track Excursions: Lost Count

Fun: Lots

Clio
Love reading your updates Jay.

Things are looking good and I really want to make a race next season.

I also can't forget your 'learner' day we had. My arse still twitches now lol. We'll have to catch up soon.

Track 172cup
always look forward to reading your race write ups and about your car updates, well done for this season lads you've definately done well for yourselves

look forward to hearing how you get on next year and if i'm ever down near one of your race meets will pop along

Turbos.
Nice round up! Sounds like you were unlucky, with the car going wrong in your hands a lot!

Hopefully you'll work out that alternator issue, is it an uprated version or stock? Know your paint though, been through a fair few.

172 Race Car
We know what the alternator issue was. It was the 'refurbished' ones we had done by a local firm. The 'off the shelf' one was fine c**till the casing broke) Using a genuine 172 Cup one now, so hopefully that issue is long gone.

Provisional 2011 calendar has been relased and it looks fairly similar to this year but with Anglesey in early August and Donington in late May. Aiming to do 6 or 7 rounds again. Along with another sponsors/friends day at Silverstone