ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autocar 197 road test

MINI JCW
Just bought the magazine and the road test of the 197 is in. Overall it gets a very good review 4.5 stars out of five.

going for it they say fabulous chassis, comfort, quality & design

against it they say pace, steering feel and not cheap.

Performance data: 0-60 6.9 & 0-100 18.7

It looks as though its a better car than the 182 in most respects except fun and performance.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I reckon Renualt have paid them as the last three or four issues have had articles involving the 197 and the first one contradicts the rest. Originally when they tested it they said the 182 was way more fun to drive.

cock mobile.
gazcaddy said:
It looks as though its a better car than the 182 in most respects except fun and performance.

LOL, the two reasons people buy Renault Sport Clio's for then!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I am really upset that I finally found a car I really like, (have had 2 from new) and now because Renault in their infinite wisdom have changed it soooo much, I will NEVER buy a NEW Clio again! :cry:

I don't think I will ever understand car manufacturers. They get a good design that becomes extremely popular, then a few years later totally change it and wonder why they don't sell as well and eventually die out. What a bunch of plonkers!

MINI JCW
trailerparktrev said:
But that's what owning a Renaultsport is all about - fun and performance.

totally agree, for me renaultsport is about peformance and fun at a cheap price and for me the 197 doesnt offer this.

Looking at the performance figures its a fair bit slower than 172/182, taken from autocar's 182 road test the 182 is 0.6secs faster to 60, 1.7secs faster to 100 and 1.5secs faster 30-70

Clio 172 mk2
I think Renault thought it was time to 'move on' but I think they're going to loose a market with the new model...most of us who enjoy hot hatches aren't going to be shelling out for that.

MINI JCW
Cupster said:
Over sized, overpriced, overweight! Nice brakes though ;)

Yes the brakes are good, in autocars test of the 197 & 182, the 197 stops quicker from all speeds tested

0-100 in 19 :dead:

How did they manage that with such low overall gearing?

Quite impressive if the aim was to make it as slow as possible. I love the 197 as I keep saying, but the performance design brief was obviously more about marketing against the Megane, rather than making the car feel as urgent in a straight line as a 182.

DynamiqueDebz said:
I am really upset that I finally found a car I really like, (have had 2 from new) and now because Renault in their infinite wisdom have changed it soooo much, I will NEVER buy a NEW Clio again! :cry:

I don't think I will ever understand car manufacturers. They get a good design that becomes extremely popular, then a few years later totally change it and wonder why they don't sell as well and eventually die out. What a bunch of plonkers!

A lot of it is out of their hands. Not only do the majority want larger, more comfortable, better built cars, the regulations mean they have to be safer and stronger etc... which adds to the size and weight.

Nobody seems to talk about the fact that the new Clio looks remarkably like a 207!?!?

MINI JCW
chiefsilverback said:
A lot of it is out of their hands. Not only do the majority want larger, more comfortable, better built cars, the regulations mean they have to be safer and stronger etc... which adds to the size and weight.

They should have give it more power then

Nissan 350Z
Unbelievably, IMO its now the Suzuki Ignis Sport that fills the brief of a cheap, fun drivers car IMO.

Its extremely cheap to buy, handles well, has respectable (but nowhere near as good unfortunately) performance, and is fun to drive.

Pretty much all of the hot hatches now are either too expensive, not much fun to drive, or both.

At the end of the day, we as consumers are to blame. We want safe cars and we want headline performance figures that we can brag about to our mates with little regard paid to how much fun the car ACTUALLY IS TO DRIVE!!!

It looks as if the new Civic Type R might be the best hope for a new hot hatch IMO. OK its rumoured to have the same engine, but also rumoured to be lighter, and so might actually handle better than the old one (which IMO was nothing special).