ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Automatic wipers!!

My mate has just bought a Mk1 172, and he wants to know if its got automatic wipers!??! we aint had no rain yet so he doesnt know LOL. Im sure the Mk2 has it, but not to sure about the Mk1?

hmmm dodgy on them silver 172s i would tell ya mate to do an exchange wiv someone else wiv a mk2 phase 1 , he would definatley find out :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

No, the mk1 aint got a lot of the stuff the mk2 has and auto wipers are not one of them...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 16 October 2003

Count that as a blessing.
why ? I know a lot of people dont like them, and on a couple of occasions I have had to interject, but 99% of the time they are dead on, make sure you turn the sensitivity dial to a suitable setting though.

sorry KDF whats that..sensivity dial?? whats that, there is a dial on the stalk and I twist it in bordon when stuck in traffic!! hows it work

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

lol, might explain why you think they are crap (i thought that to till i read the manual)

well on the wiper stalk is a twistable bit, turn it completly one way is really sensitive, the other way is less sensitive.

When on least sensitive, my wipers would only wipe when I went past a big truck on the motorway during rain. On most sensitive they work just right for me, but you need to set the sensitivity then switch it to auto wipers.

Quote: Originally posted by Louise on 17 October 2003

where exactly IS the sensor for the rain??

Behind the rearview mirror. Have a look from out side the car and you will see a couple of sensors. I think the head light sensors are there as well.
The windscreen wipers are excellent. I always have them on. I actually read the instruction manual for them. (Maybe I should of carried on and read about the computer, it only took me a month of frustration and a visit to the dealer to work that out! :oops:)

i have this twisty bit on the talk but as far as i know i i dont have the automatic wipers ???? mk 2 phase 1 (jelly mould )

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

if its phase 1 then you wont have them. Also for those with auto wipers you can switch the auto part off according to the manual and the sensitivity thing doubles up as a rate adjustment for intermittent. so you can adjust the time between each wipe.

Golf GTI MKV

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 17 October 2003

if its phase 1 then you wont have them. Also for those with auto wipers you can switch the auto part off according to the manual and the sensitivity thing doubles up as a rate adjustment for intermittent. so you can adjust the time between each wipe.

if you have automatic then that replaces any intermittent functionality
so the sensitivity thing doesnt double up as anything

they are also known as smart wipers
smart in the way that if you have them on and engage reverse gear
the rear wiper should auotmatically do a sweep
and also smart in the way that if u squirt ya water washers
they should sweep about 5 times, then wait a few more seconds
before doing a final sweep on the dribbly bits

hmmm, god im dull

If my ph1 172 does not have auto wipers whats the sensivity control doing on the stalk and whats the small dark rectangle at the bottom middle of the windscrean for? I though they were to do with auto wipers no?

They are ok, but sometimes if it doesnt rain enough, even if u cant see out, they dont come on. But get a bit of mist on the window and they go beserk and nearly fly off from going so fast!!!!! lol!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 17 October 2003

If my ph1 172 does not have auto wipers whats the sensivity control doing on the stalk and whats the small dark rectangle at the bottom middle of the windscrean for? I though they were to do with auto wipers no?
probably to adjust the intermittent then. and the patch at the bottom is just cause you got a heat reflective windscreen.

Also, top tip for the auto wipers is to really avoid getting any wax on the sensor when washing the car. I used to really throroughly clean the sensor on my mk2 172 and they worked really well.

The sensor is at the top middle of the outside of the windscreen. Right on the other side of the bit that joins the mirror to the screen. Looks like a little solar panel.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 17 October 2003

Now its raining I have been playing with this function on my new 172 and have decided its crap.

How can I disable the smart wipe function and use the sensitivity ring as a simple intermittant control?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 17 October 2003

The sensor is at the top middle of the outside of the windscreen. Right on the other side of the bit that joins the mirror to the screen. Looks like a little solar panel.

I thought that was the light sensor for the Auto lights???

Isnt the rain sensor the dark patch at the bottom centre of the windscreen??

The Jinx

Geordiepaul you are correct.

And for those that say you can disable the auto function, its not strictly true.

By shutting off the engine when the lights are on the first setting (i.e. auto) and then turning the engine back on, you disable the function.

However. Your wipers will then do nothing, at all. No intermittent, no auto. Until you push the stalk either back to 0 or to the 2nd setting (on).

I had forgotten how much I detest the auto wipers until last night when it rained for the 1st time in ages. No sweep with a windscreen full of water, or fvcking mentalist sweep when theres no rain there at all.

Just give me a variable intermittent anyday of the week. I hate not being in control.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

No Geordiepaul you are incorrect.

The rain sensor AND light sensor are in the bit where the mirror attaches to the screen. Next time your out washing your car put the wipers on auto and dribble some water over the mirror bit, the wipers will come on.

The patch is for you to place items in which the heat reflective coating might block, eg gps signals etc.