ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aux belt / fan belt

172 with k-tec sound
hi all just a quick question is the fan belt the aux belt also would it make a whining noise when reving a car and when revs were backing down thanx all

172 with k-tec sound
Doesn't have a fan belt as the fan is electric, the whine you're talking about might be your alternator.
ok cheers didnt think it had he mentioned my alternator belt now i know thats nothing to do with aux belt does it mean my alternator could be on its way out if so how much does it cost plus would i need a belt iv just had 16 new valves and a new timing belt put in 2 weeks ago as pretensioner collapsed

Evo 6, E92 320d
The whining could be the tensioners, but it could be a number of things, mine has a faint whine, i think most do as my mates is the same.

Lionel Richie
highly highly likley it'll be the lower aux belt idler pulley (rare they get changed and hence one of the causes of belt failures)

does it sound kinda supercharged?

ok cheers didnt think it had he mentioned my alternator belt now i know thats nothing to do with aux belt does it mean my alternator could be on its way out if so how much does it cost plus would i need a belt iv just had 16 new valves and a new timing belt put in 2 weeks ago as pretensioner collapsed

I didn't actually mean the belt, I meant the alternator it's self. I've heard they start whining when they're due to fail. It was just an assumption by the way.

172 with k-tec sound
The whining could be the tensioners, but it could be a number of things, mine has a faint whine, i think most do as my mates is the same.
mine is whining when im reving car and when revs are dropping back would the aux belt been due cause a whine

Evo 6, E92 320d
If you are hearing a whine alot of the time then it's prob not normal, but yeh the aux belt being due can cause it, its the lower pulley that tends to make the noise, but in the aux belt kit you get new pulleys anyway.

mine is whining when im reving car and when revs are dropping back would the aux belt been due cause a whine

Mine does the exact same thing but it's been like that for most of the time I've had the car (6 months). It's more noticeable as the revs die down after revving quite high. I haven't had any other issues related to it, up to now anyway (touch wood). I've also heard other RS's doing it as well.

172 with k-tec sound
highly highly likley it'll be the lower aux belt idler pulley (rare they get changed and hence one of the causes of belt failures)

does it sound kinda supercharged?
hi mate yeah it does , only does it in first and second between 1 and 4 rpm not noticed it in any other gear

172 with k-tec sound
Mine does the exact same thing but it's been like that for most of the time I've had the car (6 months). It's more noticeable as the revs die down after revving quite high. I haven't had any other issues related to it, up to now anyway (touch wood). I've also heard other RS's doing it as well.
seems common with them then nice to know im not on my own lol hoping my aux belt change sorts it tbh

172 with k-tec sound
well got aux kit today got 3 things in it belt, tensioner ,idler (little round thing) so all set for tomorrow does any one know how long it takes cheers

I think Fred said 2.5 hours in another thread somewhere but I presume that's when someone who knows their way around RS's. Someone who wasn't experienced with them would take longer I'd imagine.

Edit:
£100 for the bits mate, can be done on the driveway no bother, 2.5hour job give or take

172 with k-tec sound
I think Fred said 2.5 hours in another thread somewhere but I presume that's when someone who knows their way around RS's. Someone who wasn't experienced with them would take longer I'd ima

Edit:
ok cheers mate for that