ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auxilary Belt Problem

Clio 1.4 16V
HIya, i was driving home yesterday when i noticed a rattling sound which i originally thought it was the exhaust but notice was in the engine. when i opened the bonnet i noticed the belt was spinning on the cogs but was shredding, so turned engine off and as the belt was still on the pulleys i cut away the belt that had wrapped itself around the cogs, hoping this would sort it and i would be able to get 5 miles down the road and get home but no such luck, the engine turns over but wont start. it also took 2 wires out with it, the rac guy thought it was the injector wires but after looking today it looks like they are only the fog light wires. Now i am wondering if it would of knocked the timing out and thats why it wont start and could i just slip off the old belt and put on a new one. My car is a clio 1999 S Reg. 1.2 8v.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Mondeo TDCI 130
If the timing has slipped, its more than likely going to have bent valves! And it sounds like it may have! :(

Clio 1.4 16V
ahh so all is not doomed, yeah its the fan belt/auxilary belt that has shredded. the belt is still on.. . .just. but wont start up like i said.

On a 172/182 when the aux belt goes and shreds as you have described it often takes the cam belt with it as the shredded bits get wrapped around the crank pinion for the cam belt and the cam belt then slips.

But you don't have a 1*2 do you so it may be different?

Clio 1.4 16V
as right wel as i said mines a 1999 1.2 RT 8v. i have also notice a tube which isnt connected, a friend said this is the 'breather pipe' now i dont know if it was connected before or even where it goes but would this stop the engine starting?

J

jakm15

on the 1.2 8v the aux has no effect on the cambelt as you can see when you look at the engine

Clio 1.4 16V
id like to thanks every one for the help. got someone to look at it today and after looking at it he changed a 30amp fuse and the car started, so the two wires that i was talking about that had split shorted and melted the fuse. it is the power steering belt that has gone. so he said he'd change it for 20 quid if i provide the belt

Matt.