ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Average win7 boot times..

Audi S3 225
Hi, just built a new computer and it doesnt seem as fast as i thought it would be.

Its an AMD Phenom x6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3, 8GB Kingston DDR3, 1TB Samsung F3, win7 ultimate x64. Built in gpu and spu.

It takes around 70 secs to boot, spending almost 30 secs on the windows splash logo screen. Ive tweaked a few settings in msconfig, turned off a few programs from booting and turned on the 6 cores to boot but it made no difference.

Any ideas, or is this normal? Its a fresh install and ive only installed itunes and microsoft security essentials so far.

Thanks

2014 Focus Titanium
That does seem a bit slow. My Quad will boot up in about 60 secs and that's a 6 month old install. Specs:

Q6600 @ 333x9 (3ghz)
4gb PC1000 5-5-5-15 Ram
500GB Hitachi
Win7 x64 Ultimate
8800GT Graphics.

If you want quick boot times, I would invest £80 in an SSD drive.

Audi S3 225
Im not that bothered but remember reading about the super quick boot times for win7. Im pretty sure my netbook running xp boots faster! Oh well...

seems like something is a bit dodgy, which version of 7 is it?
im on:
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz (21x200) (watercooled)
6gb ddr3,
asus p6x58d-e
sapphire 5850 (watercooled)
win7 x64 ultimate (get professional over ultimate)

i boot in about 40 secs on a 2 month old windows, im running 2x 320gb spinpoint f4's in raid as OS drive (basically as quick as ssd's)

i'd say either you've got a crappy copy of win7, or your hdd isn't up to par for what it should be (do a benchmark in hdtach (google around to see what speeds you should get))

p.s. where is the other 40 seconds of your boot? if its in the POST screens, that seems too long, and if it is, have you enabled quick-boot or quick-post?

Audi S3 225
Hi Addicted, it takes about 15 secs to get from the post to splash screen, then 30 secs on loading screen and another 25 or so secs to finish booting fully.

Ive ran the hdtach test - Random access 13.4ms. Average speed 121.4mbs. Burst speed 204.1mbs.

Compared to this review seems my burst speed is quite slow compared. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/10/06/samsung-spinpoint-f3-1tb-review/3

BTW the windows is a genuine copy so shouldnt be dodgy and it all seemed to install fine.

Thanks

Hmm,
well the burst is a little bit lower, but likely expected as i think the benchmarks are usually on a fresh drive which has had no data on it before (formatting doesnt wipe the data, just removes the index).
as for the boot up i'm not really sure to be honest as the spec seems fine!
i hope someone else has got some suggestions :(

Audi S3 225
ive just done a test using hd tune pro and the results seem on par with others using same drive so im guessing the drives ok. Ill look into it more tomorrow, thanks for the help :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Just tested mine, from pressing the power button to being on the desktop takes 60 seconds. I made need to change settings in the BIOS though as it takes a long time to POST and then go through RAID controllers etc

i7 950
Asus Rampage III Extreme
6GB Memory
Corsair 120GB SSD
2 x 150GB 10,000rpm
2 x 1TB 7,2000rpm

Can't say I'm overly bothered though tbh.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just tested mine, from pressing the power button to being on the desktop takes 60 seconds. I made need to change settings in the BIOS though as it takes a long time to POST and then go through RAID controllers etc

i7 950
Asus Rampage III Extreme
6GB Memory
Corsair 120GB SSD
2 x 150GB 10,000rpm
2 x 1TB 7,2000rpm

Can't say I'm overly bothered though tbh.

Same here, tbh. Compared to a Mac, it's piss slow, but hey ho. :)

D.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
1 second if it's asleep. Just shake the mouse.

A full boot is around 20 seconds.

iMac i7 27"
ATI Radeon HD5750
1TB 7200rpm
8GB RAM

My MBP's slightly longer, at around 30 seconds

10-11secs from windows loading to desktop, thats on an SSD. Bios takes ages though about 30secs need to turn some things off.

Audi S3 225
Someone told me it could be the 8gb so i removed 4gb and its still the same speed. I give up, guess thats just how its meant to be.