ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

B&M Quickshift Problems

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Guys

I have had a b&m shifter fitted to my car for a few years now and it has been a bit of a b**ch when the car has been used for a while becomes really stiff and difficult to use but today i lost my rag and have had enough does anyone know why it keeps going stiff when it gets warm.

Clio 172 Cup
75w80 castrol

its not the oil
it did it before the oil change and it does it after the oil change and has been getting gradually worse over the years

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
common problem with these mate. its do do with the metal expanding or something IIRC.

They all do it.

Not sure if there is a fix to it mate you might just have to cope. Someone might be able to give you a proper diagnosis but no, its nowt to do with the oil lol

Si

RS Clio 172
have you got one of those franx? i'm after one but if b&m are dodgy this could be what i'd get.

RS RIP
not yet, it's on the wanted list !

These came out very good in an indepedent test, i read about it on a French site.
Sorry ca'nt remember which/where....

The design is better, for less $ .. best bang for the buck

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think they are a good idea fullstop TBH as the gearboxes don't exactly like to be rushed at the best of times.

clio rs
a year on after this was first posted, has anyone else had any problems.

is b&m shifter and bm shifter the same?

182 trackday racer
75w80 castrol

its not the oil
it did it before the oil change and it does it after the oil change and has been getting gradually worse over the years

Put that crappy oil in my car and I had problems to get the gears in (some of my mates here hade same problem) especially when cold. Changed to the oil you are supposed to use according to Renault (Elf NFJ 75W80) and the gearbox is smooth as butter.

Change the oil!

williams and trophy
iv had my b&m shifter fitted for about 5 years...never had any prbs after initial fitting teething probs

Clio 172 Cup
Ive got a b&m short shift on my cup, after long run becomes really stiff too. Fact is I actually like it when its like that lol. Goes back to normal when it cools down.

mine is also really stiff , i like the look of it in the car though , not sure whether to take it out or put the standard unit back in ???

RS RIP
In my case, it was way to heavy to shift when first mounted. I soon found out what the prob was.
I called Maurice down at MB and he said i probably tightened the nut that connects it to the rest of the linkage too tight (so bottom of the actual stick, connecting it to the selector rod ? ) Loosened it up , job done , happy smooth shifting going on for a while now.

This must be the prob for most issues i've read on here; gearboxoil suddenly being the case can't be possible

182 trackday racer
75w80 castrol

its not the oil

The Castrol is very bad in JC5 Boxes I have tried myself, could not get gears in propperly.

182 trackday racer
Elf Tranself NFJ 75W 80

Thats what Renault specify and it works fantastic compared to the Castrol Ive tryed. At least here in Sweden the Elf oil was a bit cheaper as well was a bit hard to get hold of though.