ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back after 12 years!

2004 Racing Blue 182
Hi guys, haven’t posted on here for around 12 years. Sold my last Valver around that time and have missed it every day since!

Needed to free up some cash and decided to be car-less for a little while, it lasted 7 years! I then decided to go to two wheels and have had bikes for a few years, got bored of being cold and getting wet, so bought an EP3 Civic Type R to go along with my FireBlade, had that for maybe 4 months before I decided it was one or the other, so sold the CTR as it was just a bit manic for a car for my liking, thats what 600cc sports bikes are for!

Then decided that I actually wanted to stick with 4 wheels, so sold the FireBlade and bought a MK5 golf GTi. Which I currently have now and have had for maybe 4 months. Such a great car, it does the day to day stuff perfectly, it's comfortable on long journeys, and when i want to get a bit crazy, it's more than quick enough and handles great.

Anyway, my work situation is looking to change in the coming months, so need to free up a bit of capital again. The Golf is likely going, so need something cheap but fun to replace it. I've been thinking about another clio, this time, it will be either a 172 cup, or a 182 with cup packs.

Has anyone ever got from anti to a 1*2?? I think it will be a step down in terms of refinement, as the GTi i have is fully loaded, but for grin factor, and enjoyability, the clio with totally outside the golf I'm sure. if they are even 80% of my valvers, i'm definitely going to be doing in the right direction.

apologies for the long post, it has been 12 years!

Anyway, off to the forums to do some reading.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome back! There's a familiar name from the CS archives!

I'd just go for a 182 - given that the mileage will be significant on most of them by now and for the most part, they are perceived as cheap French crap. The current market value for mine when my renewal came up last week, was a mere £345. At auction - it stated £295 - lol.

It's part of the reason why I never (hopefully) get rid of it - I couldn't even use it as a deposit on something new. There should be a fair amount of choice out there too - with the precedent of going force-fed in hatches these days. No one really makes a high revving N/A in a small car these days.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, 182, full fat if you can, get most of the toys then (ABS, TC, Cruise, Climate, auto wipers and lights etc etc). I slapped a parrot in mine to for the handsfree, and they chuck about okay

not a mk1 admittedly, but decent enough for a giggle

2004 Racing Blue 182
My head is tellOMG me to go for a 182 FF, but my heart just can’t get past the Cup, it’s the colour and the wheels and the Cup just feels a bit more ‘special’ if that makes sense!

Admittedly though, I would really miss the Xenons from my GTI. But I’m assuming these could be retrofitted from a 172 to the Cup without too much drama?

It’s one of those things. If I bought a 182, would I regret not getting the Cup, if I bought a Cup, would I miss the creature comforts!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I had a Cup which I used daily for over a year and did something silly like 25k in. It wasn't that bad, but I think a FF would have been much nicer. Like you though, the Cup was the one I wanted, so I couldn't have gone for a 182 I don't think.

To be fair though, if you stick some Turinis on an Arctic 182, it will look pretty much the same as a Cup!

2004 Racing Blue 182
I had a Cup which I used daily for over a year and did something silly like 25k in. It wasn't that bad, but I think a FF would have been much nicer. Like you though, the Cup was the one I wanted, so I couldn't have gone for a 182 I don't think.

To be fair though, if you stick some Turinis on an Arctic 182, it will look pretty much the same as a Cup!

It’s not too bad if I went and got the 182, you hardly ever see 1*2s on the road anymore anyway, let alone a Cup!

But there will always be that niggling feeling for me if i ever saw one!

Do they drive pretty much the same? Would i notice any real-world differences?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
real world you'll notice the lack of creature comforts.....flol!
I borrows a mates cup few years back, driving involvement I didn't notice much difference between it and my 182 FF (cup packs on it) on normal back road jaunts.

I get where you are coming from with the more special thing though, however doesn't really factor in for me as I have 2x mk1 clios and a phase 1 172 if I want the more special/raw feeling!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think I could buy a cup over a 182. Probably same money and some s**t seats etc. Not for me. 182 still looks pretty good. Titanium is also epicz.

Welcome back chap!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Don't think I've ever driven a 182. Have driven normal 172 and Cup though. I doubt you'd really notice any difference in terms of driving in reality. Not in the real world. The lack of equipment and worse interior is more likely to be noticed. Saying that, do I regret buying my Cup over a more plush 172 or 182? Nope, not even a little bit.

Welcome back fellow ex-valver owner :up:

Not long got rid of mine - it sat for years waiting to get fixed but life failed to give me the money I needed to do it and I ran out of time to get it sold before I had to move out to somewhere with no room to keep it 😧 Makes me sad but I guess I had a good few years of fun with it.

I think I'd want to go with a 172 Cup if I got another Clio - all the electronic stuff on the full fat models is just more stuff to break and cost money to fix, plus I prefer driving something without driving aids. Not because I've got skillz (yo!) but because I like the fact that it means I am thinking it is only me that will save me from bad things happening, which means I drive better.

If I had the spare cash and space, though, I'd want to get another Mk1 - sadly this classic car bubble means a Williams is off the table for the foreseeable future... :grimacing:

2004 Racing Blue 182
Welcome back fellow ex-valver owner :up:

Not long got rid of mine - it sat for years waiting to get fixed but life failed to give me the money I needed to do it and I ran out of time to get it sold before I had to move out to somewhere with no room to keep it 😧 Makes me sad but I guess I had a good few years of fun with it.

I think I'd want to go with a 172 Cup if I got another Clio - all the electronic stuff on the full fat models is just more stuff to break and cost money to fix, plus I prefer driving something without driving aids. Not because I've got skillz (yo!) but because I like the fact that it means I am thinking it is only me that will save me from bad things happening, which means I drive better.

If I had the spare cash and space, though, I'd want to get another Mk1 - sadly this classic car bubble means a Williams is off the table for the foreseeable future... :grimacing:

I know exactly what you mean, the prices of Valver sand Williams has gone through the roof at the minute. I would love another 16v but realistically, it would have to be a weekend toy, and that’s what bikes are for lol

I guess it’ll have to be the old ‘try them both, see which one fits’ malarkey!