ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Backup Exec

A3 1.8T
Anyone had a problem where there backup exec would only backup 1046bytes of data then the job would get the completed status?

both to tape and B2D

Windows backup will backup to tape fine.

using 11d

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
backup exec is the bane of my life ! random problems constantly ! grr !

check your backup selection list is correct.

A3 1.8T
Yep, selections are fine.

Done different drive, certain folders etc still the same issue - bloody gashtec

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Check connectivity to the items on the selection list, try changing the selection list to some other files, try re-creating the job. Check an drives are shown as being online etc.

etc.

All seem to randomly fix random problem.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
lol, just got an email from the backup server telling me my daily and duplicate daily jobs had failed.. for another random reason !! FFS !!

A3 1.8T
The drives are all local so not connectivity issues - drives are online. Recreated the database - reinstalled the drivers still the same issue.

I get the feeling it is SQ related.

Don't you just hate them BE emails :( Last thing you want to see at 7 in the morning!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Problem with the VSS writer / provider? Check event viewer to see if there are. It'd be under the System log I would have thought.

If any VSS errors are logged, from a command prompt type:

vssadmin list providers

and

vssadmin list writers

Check both to see if any are reporting problems.
If they are, try unregistering and re-registering the DLL's associated with them. Google is your friend if you want to find which DLL's are used for each writer / provider.

A3 1.8T
Not the VSS, used the VSSFIX.bat file i have for fixing vss errors - what a mare this is.

Going to do a fresh install along with SQL i think.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Check Symantec's knowledge base?
We're a Symantec partner so we get to log support requests for incidents like this directly with them. I don't know if that's an option for you?

A3 1.8T
Yeah we are a partner too, just had enough of bloody call center's for once day. Plus i like to fix things myself instead of asking Symantec.

(The servers not on site hence trying to do it myself)

DMS

A thirsty 172
I quite like to fix stuff too, but when I used to do systems support I often found that I had to rely on vendor support because of time constraints and workload.
Getting out of tech support FTW!

dk

911 GTS Cab
i also try and fix things myself first but there comes a time when you have to just go for the that support you pay for!

I have had to speak to symantec recently and they always go directly into a webex and they really do seem to know their way around the products and where to look for little things.

I keep getting emails about backup jobs saying the job was cancelled by the user when it blatantly wasn't, and the drive suddenly deciding its offline towards the end of a job but then it works fine for the next job running immediately after it etc.

Try using enterprise vault, that takes things to a whole new level, you need a degree to install, use and troubleshoot it!

A3 1.8T
Got a couple of days to do it hence giving it a go, the server is in my lab at the moment - will be on site midweek.

Is looking like a call to Symantec will be needed, as you say dk they are generally pretty dam good!

Getting out of tech support FTW indeed :( Although only a year in the job so got a while yet lol

Fiesta ST
I keep getting emails about backup jobs saying the job was cancelled by the user when it blatantly wasn't, and the drive suddenly deciding its offline towards the end of a job but then it works fine for the next job running immediately after it etc.

I keep getting this on a couple on customers sites - does my head in.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
i also try and fix things myself first but there comes a time when you have to just go for the that support you pay for!

True, we pay some dodgy company for support for one of our products :p, I don't like the product so rather than waste my time on it's little problems I drop them an email.