ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad earth to starter motor

Clio 172 cup
I'm often just getting a click when I try and start the car. This is solved by a jump lead from the battery negative to the end of the starter motor - with this on it fires straight up! Anyone else had this issue and come up with a good fix? If not I'll run a new wire from the battery negative to the starter, in which case, am I right in thinking that the spade connector is the positive and the copper tab which is held on with the nut is the negative?

Cheers for the help!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You just need a new engine/box earth by the sounds of it.

The normal earth is on the box to the chassis.

No problem adding another one though, but no need to make it right round onto the starter, anywhere on the engine or box will be fine as its all bolted together.

Clio 172 cup
Cheers! Will go and give that a try with a jump lead and if all goes well I'll make a permanent one.

Volantech CC Panels
Same happened to me, i have an earth from the chassis to the bolt that goes onto the starter motor, annoying but not a single problem since