ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Baffled sump needed?

Caterham 1400 Supersport
Hi,

I'm finding my 172 (non cup) is spending regular amounts of time on trackdays now (filming), and on some of the larger tracks it can get a little outpaced when up against more powerful cars (Spa in 2 weeks).
I'd like to even things up a bit by fitting more track biased tyres, before I do this i'd like to know a little more about the standard sump. Is it baffled? If so is it up to the job? Anyone got a pic of the standard sump, also a comparison with the cup cars would be great.

Thanks. :)

Cup cars use stock sumps I think you don't need baffling.
Stock engiens fune though Yozzas run slicks and lowered car without problems same for Fred.

Stock sump has a baffle and windage tray, you wont experience any problems, maybe the odd flash of low pressure on a really really high G long corner. But in most cases, the average driver doesnt push that hard.

Caterham 1400 Supersport
I'll be filming (trying to) various Porsches, Lambos, RS200s etc. at Spa, so am guessing at Au Rouge i'll be driving the Clio pretty hard, especially with slicks or grooved track tyres.
Good to know there is protection as standard. :) At least I know my pace will still be below the cup racers so if the standard sump is good enough for them... :)

J

Jim NM

Put just a little extra oil in on track days to compensate for the sloshing about then you know that your bottom end is lubricated :)