ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15inch TD + Toyo888R - handling issues ?

Clio 182 Cup
Hi all, so I've only just returned to Clio ownership for over 20 years, managed to get myself a lovely 182 Cup ( factory cup ) in RB and absolutely love it. I also bough the new Team Dynamic TD 1.2 LT wheels and Toyo888R tyres for track days. Going from the factory 16's and rubbish Chinese tyres to these, i am noticing on the couple of B road blasts I've had so far, that the car hunts camber, and grabs quite strongly over potholes or uneven surfaces, of which on UK roads there are loads! Is this normal, the car now feels a little bit more like it could spear me into a bush at any moment when i am accelerating round a corner and the wheels find uneven road... any thoughts?

cliowheelsjpg.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, so I've only just returned to Clio ownership for over 20 years, managed to get myself a lovely 182 Cup ( factory cup ) in RB and absolutely love it. I also bough the new Team Dynamic TD 1.2 LT wheels and Toyo888R tyres for track days. Going from the factory 16's and rubbish Chinese tyres to these, i am noticing on the couple of B road blasts I've had so far, that the car hunts camber, and grabs quite strongly over potholes or uneven surfaces, of which on UK roads there are loads! Is this normal, the car now feels a little bit more like it could spear me into a bush at any moment when i am accelerating round a corner and the wheels find uneven road... any thoughts?

View attachment 1648590
Have you had the tracking done?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I would be inclined to check all of your suspension and bushes, followed by wheel alignment.
The stiffer sidewalls of the tyres will exaggerate any handling faults with the car.

I recently had mine done and it’s transformed the car.

Clio 182 Cup
thank guys, it hasn't had tracking done rceently to my knowledge, it was on the list of things!

any recommendations for discs and pads for track use? I was recommended Tarox grooved / vented dics and also Carbone Lorraine RC6 Brake Pads - are these any good, best part of £500 for these by the look of it - worth it?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Sounds like it's just the tyres causing it tbh, proper semi slicks are actually wider & slightly different shape to the same size road tyres so they tend to exaggerate the shitty road imperfections and camber a lot more

As for the brakes, RC6's are phenomenal, don't waste time or money on fancy discs, normal HC Brembo discs are perfect and both of those are just under £300 from Kamracing

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
another vote for the tyres here too

I know going the other way on track, road to semi slick, my car feels much more direct and keen to turn. You'll be experiencing the opposite

Clio 182 Cup
going to attempt to fit my tarox front discs and CL pads today - wish me luck ! :D

also some s**t tried to pinch my new TD's - i didn't bother with locking nuts, drove the car and noticed a knocking sound from the front left wheel.... one nut missing and the rest hand loose....., so rushed out and bought some locking nuts.... people are such a holes aren't they

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
going to attempt to fit my tarox front discs and CL pads today - wish me luck ! :D

also some s**t tried to pinch my new TD's - i didn't bother with locking nuts, drove the car and noticed a knocking sound from the front left wheel.... one nut missing and the rest hand loose....., so rushed out and bought some locking nuts.... people are such a holes aren't they
If the wheels were new, could it be they came loose? I had to use a dremel to rough up the fascia’s where the nut touches the surface of the wheel. Heard plenty of horror stories of wheels coming loose on trackdays or when wheels have been refurbed.