ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Baffled Sumps

172 Cup
Alright peeps,
Long time lurker and first time poster.

The sump gasket on my 172 cup is leaking and I'm about to replace it but was thinking of sticking a baffled sump on whilst it's off. Can anybody point me in the direction of any baffled sump suppliers/manufacturers as at the moment I'm struggling to find any. Just want a simple direct bolt on replacement - of proven design - with baffles and/or gates to work with standard oil pick up.

Can anybody help???

Cheers.

lift number 1 @ btm
i'm pretty sure i've heard of people welding baffles in, but never heard of a manufacturer selling one.

try phoning some of the engine builders on here, they should know more than me.

Lionel Richie
cup racers ran stock bottom ends, nothing fancy at all, taking into account the cornering forces those boys were doing on slicks and they didn't have any issues (i know the guy that looked after all the engines for r-sport)

no need

172 Cup
Cheers for the replies fellas.

I’ve read various posts on sites about people fabricating there own but I don’t think it’s the sort of thing I’d want to test as a prototype on my car! If any part of it comes loose could be very nasty and expensive.

I definitely think they’re a good thing. I’ve never had the sump off a 172 yet so don’t know to what extent they’re baffled already (if at all) or indeed exactly where the oil pick up is located.

Anybody know or got any pics???

IMG_2598.jpg

172 Cup
Nice one,
Cheers Foxy - cheers Fred.

Done a bit more research into it and with the above pics has given me more confidence in the standard set up. I always slightly overfill the oil too, so don't think I'm gonna bother with it.

So cheers, thats saved me a few quid I can spend on other stuff.
:D