ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bag and dish?

1.2 16v Renault Clio
Hi all, i have a 5 door 53 reg 1.2 16v clio, my insurance is about to be renewed and instead of upgrading to a faster car, I'm thinking of saving my money and starting to make this look a tiny bit better, the windows will be getting limo'd, and bump strips smoothed out, just wondering what would look better wheels wise? Deep dish alloys and airbag suspension, or some 16''/17'' alloys and lowering springs/coilovers? Also, any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

PH2 172
By the time you've spent all that money on a 1.2 you may as well of bought a 1#2 mate, id just save your money, because as nice as you get your 1.2 too look you'll still end up wanting something a bit more capable

PH2 RS172
dude whatever you do dont do tints. if you do then id suggest sometype of overly expensive baseball cap to go with. tints are for prestige cars bmw, merc 4x4s etc, not clios fiestas or corsas. of course its upto you but we can only advise

Listerine & Poledo
Vented roof not on the list?
what about some stick-on arch extensions?

I'm guessing you're proper jelly of your bredrin havin well pimp motors....well, unfortunately your plans as you've written them would just have you driving in a 5-door clio with a ride similar to being punched in the spine every 30 yards.

Save your money, buy something worth having when insurance allows.

Clio 182/207cc GT
In all seriousness jayboden I've been there.

You do what makes you happy, it's your car after all. If you want tints go for it, but expect to be ripped a bit by some. Ten years ago I did lots of modifications to cars which perhaps were not the best choice for the car (Tints, spoilers, neons... YES NEONS!)

Best advice is save that money buy a 1*2 and swallow the cost of insurance and running you will not regret it! Plus the Sports come with lots of lovely touches as standard.

Clio 172
haha! The OP's post reminds me of my first car! 1.2 clio oasis mk1 with some very dodgy modifications! I ran Neons as well DanH7! They looked mint...at the time! Interior was full of blue neons to light it up like a Christmas tree and I had Lexus Lights! Was ballin on my 15" rims with bright yellow calipers and drums! Thought that car was a BEAST!
jayboden. Take the forum with a pinch of salt. Most of us on here have been through the stage of doing bad taste modifications like window tints and uncomfortable suspension and wheel combinations and like most forums there is a general rule of "following the crowd". CS doesn't tend to "like" a car unless it fits the below bill:

Turins
Splitter (Skoda, Carbon or Cup)
Lowering Springs (eibach or CorkSport)
Some after market Zorst. (probably kTec or Yozza)
Cup Spoiler

Anything that diverts from the above list will be marmite and people wont be afraid to tell you if they hate it. At the end of the day, its your car so do what you want to it. Tint the windows, run some 17s and paint a floppy **** on the roof, who are we to say otherwise! We will just flame you (in good humor!) for doing it! :p

Jack

AB 182 w/Recaros
Hi Mate - few words of advice from someone once in your position:
This was my car which i spent a fair bit on to get it looking as it did from the standard 1.2 16v:
https://flic.kr/p/mMLwn9
there is a full sport interior in there as well.

Did I love it? yes
Was I the nuts at school? yes

However..
If i had saved the money I spent on it, I would of had my 182 a lot quicker than I did.
At first I loved it, however there is no denying it does look a bit 'Chavvy' even though it was one of the cleanest reps I have seen.
And arguably worst of all.. with 67k on the clock and 1 previous owener... i got £1200 for it.... a significant loss.

A standard clio will sell a lot easier than one like my old one. A standard clio will be a viable option for any first time driver. Mine appealed to probably 5% of first time drivers.

In a nutshell: keep it standard spend your money on keeping it running properly and save the rest towards something proper.

PH2 RS172
i remember my vauxhall nova with tints, 17s, neons, alloy wind defelectors on the wiper arms, eyebrows.... i looked awesome in it, to myself. to anyone else.... a complete tool :p

1.2 16v Renault Clio
After having a good laugh and a bit of reasoning with some of the comments i've recieved, I'm going to go ahead with the tints, lowered 60/40, new twin k-tec exhaust, 182 kit all round, as I've just picked up a nice set of 182 alloys all with new tyres for my old steels and £90 his way (absolute bargain if you ask me!) i might change my mind whilst on the way (more than likely will) but it's my first car and not to be taken seriously, neons are a no go i think, maybe footwell strips but we shall see, thanks for your input people!

PH2 RS172
its your car so do as you please!!!!! im sure i and others on here have done much worse with our first cars. thing is when you get a bit older you will know exactly what i mean though when you see a hot hatch coming at you with tints, oh and a bass box with thumpin toonz comin out da windowz yagetme blad ;-)

post up some pics aswell when it done dude

Listerine & Poledo
Now you've got that shopping list sorted, price it all up and give that amount of money to a responsible adult.
In a couple of years, ask for it back and BOOM! You've got enough to buy something that's actually good!

PH2 172
Now you've got that shopping list sorted, price it all up and give that amount of money to a responsible adult.
In a couple of years, ask for it back and BOOM! You've got enough to buy something that's actually good!

what he said ;)