ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball joint help.

clio 197 sport
Evening guys. The last couple of weeks am hearing a rattling/banging noise coming from offside front of car.

Took it to a reputable garage today and ge diagnosed the fault as a lower bottom ball joint amd prices it up at £170 + £60 fitting. Apparently renault said you cant buy just the ball joint you have to replace the whole unit.

Anyone know if this is true? Just out of curisosity sutton auto factors stock the ball joint i need for 12 quid.

Anyone ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You can buy a top quality ball joint from Euro car part's for about £12.

A Renault wish bone is around £60 plus fitting.

They are ripping you off.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Renault Wolverhampton on here sell bottom arms including ball joints for £44.40 per side.

Renault do not sell ball joints seperately.

As the pervert ^^ says, get to euro car parts or GSF etc.

clio 197 sport
Getting a lil confused lol so the lower balljoint can be changed without having to replace the whole unit ?

When he give me the price i thought wtf hence why i looked on suttons.

Out of curiosity i just had the steering rack links changed both ends, anyone guess what i paid + fitting ? Just to see if ive been ripped off. They was reanult parts as he said main dealer only.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Getting a lil confused lol so the lower balljoint can be changed without having to replace the whole unit ?

When he give me the price i thought wtf hence why i looked on suttons.

Out of curiosity i just had the steering rack links changed both ends, anyone guess what i paid + fitting ? Just to see if ive been ripped off. They was reanult parts as he said main dealer only.

They're not main dealer only. I just fitted some on mine. Euro car parts, less than £25 for the pair iirc.

And yes, if you buy aftermarket ball joints, you can just replace them and not the whole arm.

For the price of a bottom arm change them as they come with new bushes and a new balljoint, fit as a pair too, when i first priced them i couldnt believe how cheap they was

If it's for a 197 then pretty much all of the above is incorrect.

The joint is part of the hub, you can get after market ones, but by the time you've faffed about setting the press up to support the hub you'll have spent that in labour. Buy the complete hub and you have warranty from Renault for it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

The joint is part of the hub, you can get after market ones, but by the time you've faffed about setting the press up to support the hub you'll have spent that in labour. Buy the complete hub and you have warranty from Renault for it.
This.

197's are a totally different bag.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I was under the impression they were £700, not £160. (As per mark cup's Clio 200 thread)

clio 197 sport
Thanks guys. I dont see the point in changing the whole unit just for one part. Ive got the lower balljoint and getting it fitted thursday. Cant wait really as i hate any noise that shouldnt be there when driving! Im a fussy fooker so want the car right at all times :)

clio 197 sport
Here's the car :)

dfbd98f84659c0c31421a6c3620b5966.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Christ, I've never known them that expensive. If you buy both parts maybe, but there's no need to. The unit itself retails around the £200 mark. And is about 2 hours to change.
I'm 99% sure he said he paid £700 to have them done on his 200 after a day at llandow.

Either that or I'm going insane.

clio 197 sport
Need some help guys. I ordered a lower ball joint and took car to garage today n the mechanic said its to small ? I need a 20" ball joint not the 18" I got. Any links for the correct one also need a bolt or something to get them out ? Anyone help plz :)

LY FF 200 CUP
Just had mine done at Renault on my £200 cup lower ball joint and it was £450 shopped about and every other garage wasn't far off Renaults price with how long they reckon it would take! I went with Renault 12 months warranty also rip off but there you go.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
FYI, the RS250 is similar priced, £400 odd for parts each side, Plus labour.

I spent £250 on the ball joints and probably that again on labour at SWR, Much cheaper and the replacement joints are a better spec.

Thats for both upper and lower btw.

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
Op
The ball joint is in the wishbone, and Renault do not do this separately .
You need the lower swivel joint by the sounds of it, and again, Renault only sell the complete hub.
Rsport sell the swivel joints, top and bottom, separately, and the are different parts and sizes.
There may be someone else on here that sells them ? Sure someone will know.

clio 197 sport
I need the swivel arm lower ball joint. One I had from sutton auto factor is an 18" which don't fit as I need a 20" and they don't stock them. I'll give it a week if all fails then I'll have to buy the whole unit.

clio 197 sport
Just had a message from a seller on eBay and he thinks that's the part number for the ball joint I need. Can someone confirm this please ?

f8951cd9c6786ea0e61a4c59404cd634.jpg