ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banana Driveshafts

Mk3 dCi 88
Would bent driveshafts create tyre wear like this?

Strange wear n-s-f_small.jpg

The wear isn't all the way round the tyre so I'm assuming it's linked to the position the driveshaft is in during each rotation - or could it be some other suspension misalignment?
This is the passenger side, the drivers side isn't so bad but the same wear is there.
When I rotate the bare hub by hand the middle of the driveshaft moves ALOT, maybe an inch or more.
I'm assuming the previous owner must have slammed kerbs to do this though the alloys are intact.

/Puts flame suit on/ I bought the car only from the description and photos with a view to getting my hands dirty and getting it through the MOT and ready for a few trackdays at Bedford. If I'd been able to view it I still might not have spotted this - but I'm committed to getting it back on the road anyways

Now to the real questions - am I right in thinking it will be better to get a salvaged original driveshaft rather than to buy a "new" (cheap) one off of ebay?
Also if the previous owner managed to drive it enough to get the tyres down to the carcass and steel what other problems could have been caused?

Total lack of care by the previous owner, one slider stuck on each side - on the worst there is 0% wear on one brake pad and 110% wear on the other :D

Maybe a project thread soon for this...cheers

Mk3 dCi 88
Thanks guys, kind of makes sense if they have a joint at each end I suppose.

Yes, tracking will be first on my list after the MOT, especially since I've replaced the tyres with some part-worns (don't worry it's not being driven currently).
What problems can a warped driveshaft cause?