ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

basic dslr

FF Racing Blue 182
hi guys got a few in mind

so ive been looking at the d3100 and the newer d3200 and the 1100d all these cameras come with 18-55 vr lense

im not looking to grow a big system just be able to get some good pictures of the kids and such like how are these cameras for a beginner

also looked at some bridge cameras but wasnt sure of them

Focus ST-3
Ive just bought the D3100 today, should be here next week, so will let you know how I get on with it!

Its my first dslr too and just wanted to have something better than a phone camera for a few snaps, nothing pro!

FF Racing Blue 182
same here if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay seen them on amazon for £285 thats with £35 cash back

Focus ST-3
same here if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay seen them on amazon for £285 thats with £35 cash back

I went 2nd hand, came with 2 lenses, the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-300mm I think, a tripod, UV filter, Macro lens, and bag and cases etc. I paid about £300 for all of it which isnt too bad I dont think.

I was looking to get a new one, but I would have wanted an extra lens and tripod etc and i was then looking at about £4-500, then a UV filter, bag etc. It all soon began to add up, so decided to just buy an all in set off the bay.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
im not looking to grow a big system just be able to get some good pictures of the kids and such like

You say that now...

If you're a total novice, a point and click will do you best I think, as you don't seem to want to expand the SLRs capabilities. I got a £100 bridge, then a 400d for about £500 and now I've got a £1600 7D with over a grands worth of extra lenses etc... :eek:

An iPhone camera will take some damn nice photos... but you need to know how to take a nice photo first - composition etc are very important.

D-SLRs main selling point is the lenses - you want low depth of field, or mega zoom, or flash control etc... get one. If you have no idea what you're doing with it, a bridge or a point'n'click will give you brilliant snaps of the kids.

Go into Jessops or your local camera centre and talk to the staff. Take the kids, play about with the cameras you're interested in and go from there.

:evil: