ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent DSLR for video

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Hi all,

My wife runs a company that offers Yoga and mindfulness classes for kids. With the current lock down we want to record videos to add to her website/You tube channel

I'm looking to buy a DSLR (Cannon/Nikon) that will record good video inside the house/outside in the garden and which has a good filed of view (Struggle to fit the Yoga mat ,wife and exercises in on my phone)

We are currently using a Samsung S9 plus but the camera struggles in low light and the filed of view isn't great!

Can anyone recommend a nice camera setup around the £700 mark with decent lens included?

Thanks all...

Guy

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sony A6300 and a 10-20mm lens ?

16mm might not be wide enough.. (comes with a 16-50)

No kit lens will probably be wide enough for you.

4k and slick hi-rate (slow-mo) too. WiFi sending of pics to phone is brilliant too..

10mm:
DSC00624.JPG

16mm (as per kit lens):

DSC00626.JPG

My toes are about 2ft from the cabinet. 50" TV for ref :LOL:

Carpet is glorious and no one can tell me otherwise.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you really want it to be a DSLR for some other reason, for what you've described you need from it, I'd grab a GoPro 8.

It address every issue you've highlighted, and costs half your budget.

Some of the remaining budget would get you a good Rode mic setup although out of the box the audio of the 8 is pretty good.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Second for a GoPro if it's solely for that. Well within budget and you can grab a small tripod and mic if needed. Everything can be done via the phone app too.

I wouldn't buy a DSLR specifically for video tbh, especially within that budget, the lens will be fairly crap and not very wide, 18mm at best but the light will have to be really good.

If you still want a "proper" camera then you could get one of these. Panasonic Lumix range are really good and this comes with a 12-32mm lens.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Thanks for the comments all

Really made me think now. I was about to buy this Canon or the Canon EOS M50 - anyone have any experience with either.

Few more options to consider now although would be handy to take the occasional decent photo too!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sony has really left behind canon in some case. A lot of pros using A7s etc. (I think that name is right).

Plenty of info on you tube to help you discover what one would suit.

OneTime_

ClioSport Club Member
  '65 BMW F31 330d
On the more entry level side of things I've got a Canon M50 with Deity V-Mic D3 shotgun mic and a Feiyutech a1000 gimbal for shooting car videos.
Granted the kit lens is 15mm - 45mm so would probably need a 10mm for what you're wanting. Got the M50 on an Amazon special deal day so all in all everything came to about £700 for the complete set up. With the camera being mirrorless it is a very lightweight set up, especially important when using the gimbal. I edit on Davinci Resolve 15 which is free. I can link you to my youtube channel if you'd like to see the quality, just PM me.

- Just seen your reply above about the M50. What would you like to know?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Sony has really left behind canon in some case. A lot of pros using A7s etc. (I think that name is right).

Plenty of info on you tube to help you discover what one would suit.
They haven't really. But it depends on what you are shooting/who you are listening to.
Press photographers at the World cup or the Olympics? They are shooting Canon/Nikon. 99% of wildlife photographers. Shooting the same. Most press? Yup, Canikon.

Sony are brilliant at low light/shadow details. Just because they shoot 50mp is fairly irrelevant if it doesn't produce the same image as a 20mp Canon 1DX/Nikon equivalent.

Lots of amature photographers shooting Sony. Definitely.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@eves post a picture of what your wife is doing. How much space she has etc. Can include wife if needed. Gives a better idea of how much room you have. From what you've said 18mm will be too narrow and they 250d won't be great.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Hey mate.

we’re basically filming my wife on a Yoga mat doing various positions for children.

it’s not the biggest space and we was struggling with my Samsung’s field of view.

We’re going to buy some lighting stands to help with low light etc.

Attachments

• 0021B0BA-3AA6-485D-B743-7661C6981734.png
    0021B0BA-3AA6-485D-B743-7661C6981734.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 9765DBFD-8ED1-4E02-A7D4-1C9CBCA8442B.jpeg
    9765DBFD-8ED1-4E02-A7D4-1C9CBCA8442B.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 72
  • D0F33ACC-F7C1-4951-832B-C93506AB6798.jpeg
    D0F33ACC-F7C1-4951-832B-C93506AB6798.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 67

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look at that Lumix I posted above.
Should be perfect for what you need with the 12-32mm lens. It'll double up as a good walkabout/holiday camera too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Anything is going to be better than an so really but research is key because they all Excel at different things. Or, pick up an iPhone 11 pro and thank me later. I'm a note 10+ user but the video coming out those iPhones are insane. Again light would be your limiting factor.

In fairness no matter what the camera most folk still use lighting. All the vloggers have lighting of some kind mkbhd etc on YouTube have constant recommendations for exactly what you're needing. If you're shooting inside, lighting is going to be more important than the camera to a point.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Thanks for all your replies and messages - I ended up picking up this camera and another couple of lenses yesterday;

1587996161160.png