ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Batery Problem

1.6 16v
I have a batery thats been flat about 5 times and on i have added more ice into me car and a power cap, went i dont drive it for 2days like the weekend. It just kills the battery and i have to jump start it.

Whats the problem?????????

Polo + Micra
ditch the power cap

i sometimes find mine flat in the morning after a drive home from work the only way to cure that is turn down the sub out

1.6 16v
So u wouldnt say get a new battery then.

But when i need the car i get to it and it just dont start lol, that surly shouldnt happen lol

Polo + Micra
tell me about it

my alarm wouldn't shut up the other day and i've got a yellow top optima

1.6 16v
Great fun lol, i only have a shitty stand battery,

Does letting it go flat more than once do damage to the battery which means you need to replace it?

Its only started happening since i put the power cap in lol, Y ?

Polo + Micra
nah just give it a good charge from a charger and should be fine

yeah get rid of the cap anyway and put it towards a better battery

1.6 16v
cheers for the help and advice dude, i will charge me battery up from a charger 2moz nite.

the only thing is mate i just want to understand y the battery is draining power when its not being used. lol

Is the cap draining the power from the main battery. It cant just evaperate from the engine can it! lol lol

Polo + Micra
well if you charge a cap and the remove the supply it will drop to about 9 volts in under a min so it must lose it somewhere

Skoda Fabia vRS
letting a battery go flat and charging it back up DOES do something to it

a normal battery wont ever get back to 100% after its been run down flat, it might be 99% though, then the next time it might be 98% etc but it wont ever be 100% again

i did a course on car audio, the only batteries that arent like this are special car audio deep cycle batteries

Skoda Fabia vRS
oh and id get rid of the cap

basically they are good for the first beat, then after that they are useless and actually make your system less powerful, basically once the cap discharges it then has to charge itself up again, and where is it going to do that, your battery of course, robbing power which would normally be used by the amp

1.6 16v
cheers dude, my battery has gone flat about 5 times in its life and i have just jump started it evry time and then drove the car. I take it that this will not fully charge the battery up to its max will it. So its best if i put the battery on charge for a while and see if that makes a difference.

When the battery have gone flat i can still play music just not start the car, is this because its just not got enough change in it to turn the engine over?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I was told that when you use a power cap you sould make sure the engine is running before you turn it on. A cap can drain the power from a fully charged battery in less than 10 min. All you have to do is make sure you turn the head unit off before you turn your engine off and start the engine before you turn it back on.

Polo + Micra
the cap is connected all the time to the battery so it will drain it as such with out the hu on

1.6 16v
davey2k69er said:
All you have to do is make sure you turn the head unit off before you turn your engine off and start the engine before you turn it back on.

This this ^ correct because i am not sure i have been doing it all the time.

I just went to me car because i have not drivin it 4 2days and it would start again! I AM NOT VERY HAPPY.

What can i do to sort this problem out?

I have now put a battery charger on it instead of jump starting it. Could the problem be that all the 5 times that i have let the bettery go flat i have only jump started it and not fully charged it up?

Polo + Micra
take the cap out and see if it cures the problem

also to discharge a 40 ah batt in 10 mins would need to draw 240A from it which = 2.88kW which would melt any cap

Last edited:
  1.6 16v
Yeah i am going to charge me battery up fully now then leave it 4 2days and see if the fucker kills itself again. If it does there are two options i think (but i might be wrong)

1.) The battery i have in the car at the mo is totaly fucked and replace it. But it might just f**k this new battery if its the cap.

2.) Like you said take the cap out and leave it and see if the same thing happens.

If i take the cap out and see if its that thats causing the problem how do i do it, i think its disconect main battery then take off neg off cap then poss?

Polo + Micra
take out fuse for audio then take the pos off the cap and then you can do it however you like from there

1.6 16v
Cheers dude for all ur help.

So after i have disconected the pos off the cap first i can then disconect the earth - of it yeah?

I am pissed off, because i just cant drive me car and its a 50 50 chance it will start lol.

1.6 16v
So when i disconect the earth it will just die,

Y is this cap causeing me all this hassle, ppl have caps in there cars and it dont do this. could it be the way i installed it?

Whats the right way of installing caps?

1.6 16v
MORE PROBLEMS

I charged it up today and i have just tryed starting it and it starts but the revs keep getting higher and higher it starts at 3000rpm and moves up to 4000rpm and then i turn it off.

Whats wrong with it and how can i fix it????

1.6 16v
Rite yestaday i took the cap out and checked the battery with a multimeter all through the day and then i checked it again this morning and it had not lost any charge.

So i knew that the battery was ok and holding its charge ok after i charged it up with the battery charger on friday.

So i put the cap on after reearthing it and then i charged it up with the bulb. Then i took it for a drive for 30 mins then went bk home and checked the battery with the multumeter. The battery read 12.85 and the cap read 12.85, so then i waited a hour and a half and did it again.

The battery now reads 12.73 and the cap reads 12.73. Does this mean that the cap is starting to kill my battery or is it too small to tell yet?