ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battered Cup

Hi all.

I am new to the site, but have been reading the posts, i have to say this is a brilliant site. You all know your cars very well.

Unfortunately my new 172cup had a bit of an accident today, a motorbike went into the side of my drivers door, thankfully he was fine, but the door is dented by the Blue molding next to the sliver 2.0L badge. Renault quoted £800 for a new door, i think the labour alone is £350. My uncle owns a garage and reckons he can do it for £300, that includes paint, labour and taking the dent out completely. It was my fault, the dent is pretty bad but can be repaired.

Its been a bad start to the new year, totally gutted.

Would you lot get it repaired via renault knowing that you would have a new door (and get ripped off), or do it via a family member who would get it around 95% new, no ripples or shadows once the work is done.

Any advice would be great.

If you can get it done cheaper go for it as long as it a good job

[Edited by Lawson on 11 January 2005 at 5:18pm]

Welcome btw

Ziel Nurburgring

Glad to hear all parties were ok. Your fault? Did you pull out on him, if so id get a flame suit for the bikers on here who might have a pop

Mondeo STTDCI

I would get it done by somebody who could manage 100% for £400.

Family members is always a bad idea.

PM j3ned he is braking a cup with rear end damage at the moment, if the door is undented might be an easy swap rather than painting and repairing it.

My uncle knows renaults inside out, he has said that he will have the door looking brand new, i would love to do it via renault but dont have the money to sort it out. I tried to claim via insurance, my excess is £500 so i am screwed either way.

Ziel Nurburgring

If the biker is going to claim you may as well. New door, loan car and covered by warranty

It was my fault.

I was on a busy road, loads of traffic in front of me, there was a road on the right hand side, i indicated took the right hand turn, then before you even know it his front tyre hit straight onto the drivers side. Thankfully he was o.k, he was doing around 10-15mph. He didnt fall off or anything, i must have asked him 20 times if he was ok, he just said dont worry about it just have a good look next time.

I could have been alot worse. (thank god)

No he is not claiming.

He just went off, i *hit myself, there were a few scratches on his bike but he pointed out that my door was worse. I did not realise how bad it was until i got to work. As mentioned above thank god no one got hurt, you learn from your mistakes, trust me this will never happen again. its only a door, it can be fixed, it could have been alot worse.

Thanks for all the advice,

Punto/Clio GTT

your gonna have slight ripples in that either way as its a big repair, your also painting the wing n possibly the skirt if its damaged.

New door = 850 you say, but if you get a new door your gonna have to paint the wing, door and rear quarter for colour match.

even a 2nd hand door in that colour can still be off colour, previous bodywork, differnt climates (weathering), how well its maintaned etc will affect the colour

ide go with the family member myself n get it done that way if hes good with his filler

A similar thing happened to me last year. I was parked up at the side of the road and came back to see a dent on the drivers door. Asked a random motorcyclist whether he saw who did it and he admitted it was him. In the end, his insurance company paid the £900+ quoted from a local bodyshop.

Quote: Originally posted by Pocket Rocket on 11 January 2005

I was on a busy road, loads of traffic in front of me, there was a road on the right hand side, i indicated took the right hand turn, then before you even know it his front tyre hit straight onto the drivers side. Thankfully he was o.k, he was doing around 10-15mph. He didnt fall off or anything, i must have asked him 20 times if he was ok, he just said dont worry about it just have a good look next time.
i dont work out how this is your fault, you clearly inicated for the junction, the biker was in the wrong position, hit the side of you

then the cheek for him to say have a good look next time

WHY THE f**k CANT BIKERS STAY SINGLE FILE LIKE EVERY OTHER ROAD USER :mad:

Punto/Clio GTT

yea agree.. he was shooting up the outside lane to beat all the traffic and get to the front.

then again our man should have checked his mirrors properly.

sh*t happens though!

And why cant car drivers check their mirrors before turning into a junction eh? :cry:

Sorry to hear about you accident mate, hope u get it sorted soon!

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by BigBoreBri on 11 January 2005
<FONT color=yellow size=2>And why cant car drivers check their mirrors before turning into a junction eh? :cry:<FONT color=#ffff00 size=2>Sorry to hear about you accident mate, hope u get it sorted soon!

And why cant bikers anticipate car drivers as they weave through traffic? During my comute i see some right t**sers on bikes, im not calling every biker but some of them are nuts!!!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 11 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Pocket Rocket on 11 January 2005

i dont work out how this is your fault, you clearly inicated for the junction, the biker was in the wrong position, hit the side of you

then the cheek for him to say have a good look next time

WHY THE f**k CANT BIKERS STAY SINGLE FILE LIKE EVERY OTHER ROAD USER :mad:
i take it you have never overtook sombody then Brian because in essance it is the same thing.

if you have ever ridden a motorbike you would relise how little attention car drivers pay on the road, and if you were on a motorbike commuting to work and you could get to work in 1/2 the time by filtering you are telling me you would sit in all the traffic the same as if you were driving a 60 ft lorry or a car i dont think so.

the blame is 50 / 50 as well because the car driver should have been looking in his mirrors and checking the blind spot and the biker should have noticed the car indicating.

sorry for the rant but it pisses me off when bikers get the blame for everything, if every car driver was made to take a CBT training for motorbikes they would realise that their lives are in the hands of the car drivers. and they would start to pay more attention.

sorry about the damage to your car mate

[Edited by M.C.. on 11 January 2005 at 7:58pm]